HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Oops....

Old 10-24-2002, 06:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oops....

Howdy, I have been surfing here for about 4 months since I bought my first diesel truck. I of course learned about low sulfer fuels etc. While at the pumps I was about to pour in some of the good stuff!! I watched as I opened the bottle and the cardboard in the cap fell off directly into the filler pipe. I stopped and drove the truck home slowly. I took the filler pipe apart and it was too late, the cardboard disc was already in the tank. I called the dealer and he said not to worry about it that it would dissolve in the fuel and not cause any problems and would be filtered out in the fuel filter. I am debating whether I should drop the tank. Has anyone here heard (not asking anyone else to admit to this!) about this happening and if it worked itself out. <br><br>Love this truck and am looking forward to upgrades, if anyone has a 6 speed HO with the EZ I would like to hear recommendations.<br>Eric
Old 10-24-2002, 06:41 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re:Oops....

Welcome to the site BPD.<br><br>I do not have a good answer for you. There's a lot of good folks on here with plenty of knowlege. <br><br>Good luck.<br><br><br><br><br><br>Rich
Old 10-24-2002, 06:47 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

I believe the fuel pick-up in the tank has a screen filter to keep out the &quot;big stuff&quot;.<br>It shouldn't present any problem.<br><br>Now when you drop a piece of the seal on an oil bottle in the oil fill cap that's a whole different problem.<br>You don't want to do that.
Old 10-24-2002, 07:07 PM

Thanks for the quick replies,<br>Believe it or not I'm usually over careful when it comes to my truck. I had been using Power Service additive from a one gallon jug, with a container I had cleaned and could measure the right amount. I was out of state a couple of weeks ago and decided to buy a different additive since I forgot to bring the Power Service with me. I bought a bottle that was good for about 3 or 4 fill ups. It had the cardboard in the cap and hasn't been a problem in the past fill ups....until this afternoon. <br>Thanks again for the replies. I keep the foil far away from the truck during oil changes!! The bottle doesn't leave the ground until the foil is completely off and in the trash. Still like to hear if there is enough of a performance increase on a HO to make it worth the money for an Edge EZ.
Old 10-24-2002, 11:04 PM

BPD ;<br>How often do you put fuel conditioner in your fuel ?<br>Unless you are using a very low grade of fuel or you suspect that you have water or contaminants in the fuel I don't understand why you are putting it in there at each fillup. ???<br>IMO it's a waste of hard earned money to use that much.<br>Every couple thousand miles is plenty enough.<br>I don't think it will hurt but, the VP 44 injection pump on your engine uses the fuel for lubrication and cooling. Unlike the P7100 pump on the 12 valve engines. So when you thin it out like alot of additives do you might want to think about it.<br>I'm not trying to tell you what to do, but you may want check your additive real close if you were not aware of this.<br>Not trying to offend you or anything.<br>Good Luck and enjoy your CTD. IMO the greatest engine on the road in a P/U. ;D<br><br> : Eddie : <br>
Old 10-24-2002, 11:56 PM
Banned

I use Stanadyne Performance Formula Jr. like every 5 tanks or something. Mainly cause I can't always get to a good gas station to fill up (read truck stop), so I don't know what type of stuff I'm getting. I try and fill up at either Exxon/Mobil or Chevron.
Old 10-25-2002, 07:28 AM

I usually fill up at the same station, but I still dump in the additives every tank! ;D I like spending my hardly earned money! ;D <br><br>Tony
Old 10-25-2002, 08:03 AM

Yup Tony, me too.<br>A &quot;splash&quot; of Howes or Power Service (still waitin' on my Lubetec) in every tank.<br>Might be wastin' $$$, but I've got BIG $$$ invested in this truck, so what's a few cents extra per tank for peace of mind.
Old 10-25-2002, 10:44 AM

Exactly Shovelhead! I don't think the 12 bucks for the MPK or Diesel Treat is gonna break the bank. But, having to buy a new VP44 might! I also like the peace of mind! ;D<br><br>Tony
Old 10-25-2002, 12:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't worry about that little cardborad disk. It could never make it all the way through the fuel system to cause any major dammage. Also, I don't think it could ever be picked up to clog anything. Highly unlikely anyway.
Old 10-25-2002, 06:19 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heck, it costs upwards of 50 bucks to fill the beast up now.<br><br>What's 10 more for additives.<br><br><br>I havne't used anything yet, but am thinking about starting soon, just don't know what yet.<br><br><br>phox
Old 10-25-2002, 06:29 PM

I have actually been using PRI-D from Camping World since I bought the truck. It's been in every tank. It was 20 bucks, and you add 4oz. to like 24 gallons of diesel. Something like that. I still have about 2 tanks left out of it and the bottles almost a year old. I have already picked up the Howes Diesel Treat and the Meaner Power Kleaner. I just wish those two bottles had the same little measuring cup like the PRI-D does!<br><br>Tony
Old 10-25-2002, 08:59 PM

Hey You'se Guys!<br>What is Schaffer Technology, that my local store puts in the fuel. Most of the time the TruckStop is were I buy fuel, but if I 'm getting my ten dollars worth of additives for regular price, I think I should stop paying more. What do you think?
Old 10-25-2002, 09:22 PM

Here's a little info a member of another site researched regarding what's advertised on the pump vs what comes out of the nozzle.<br><br>Cetane testing
Old 10-26-2002, 10:40 AM

I guess one of the main reasons I began to use it every tank was to try and get back the performance I had when I first got the truck. I've had it about 4 months and when it was breaking in it was really fast. It seems like the performance has gotten worse, and at one point when it seemed the fastest I was getting almost 21 miles to the gallon. It seemed like after 5000 miles it was getting worse and now it seems to take a long time to get going and I'm getting about 17.5 miles per gallon. I read about poor quality fuels and I have seen a power difference when I fill up at a Sunoco station out of state. The performance is a little better, not as good as original, but I get about 19 miles to the gallon. I was hoping that the additive would help with the local fuel. I plan on a fuel filter change to see if that helps. The truck still seems to pull okay, it's just doesn't get up and go like it was. Any ideas would be a great help. That thread about the difference at the pumps was a shocker...I guess you just expect to get what your paying for at the station,and you expect the state weights and measures division to be looking at that. Thinking about it now I don't recall a lot of the local stations posting the rating on the pump.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oops....