Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   HELP! (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/help-97/)
-   -   Surging (loss of power) (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/help-97/surging-loss-power-120123/)

weldman05 10-15-2006 02:49 PM

Surging (loss of power) When Getting Up To Speed

Hi im new to the forum I have a 2001 ram 2500, auto with the 24 valve 124,000 miles on it. Mods, 4 inch silverline, edge juice with attitude, kn filter. In the last 3 weeks i have noticed a surge or loss of power between 35 and 55 mph, when you are accelerating getting up to speed. I fyou tie into it it comes right out of it. I took it to a shop they said it was the injection and lift pump, the replaced both parts, did not fix a thing[verymad]. I the repaced the tps drove it for a day with no problems, the it surged two times last night. Im at a complete loss it is very intermiten about doing it and never throws a code. Anyone with any sugestions please help im at the end of my rope.[duhhh] CHRIS

volly818 10-15-2006 03:21 PM

Have you tried to turn off the edge and see if your problem is still there? Was there ever a check engine light? Turn your key on and off three times without starting it and see if you get any codes down in the odometer.

weldman05 10-15-2006 03:28 PM

I turned off the box prob still there, check engine light has never come on , and no codes on the odometer.

volly818 10-15-2006 03:44 PM

Is your tranny original? And is it slipping? Also when was the last time fuel filter replaced? And welcome to the best place to find the information you need and to meet some very nice people.

weldman05 10-15-2006 03:50 PM

I dont know about the tranny if it was slipping would it do it all the time, on the odometer after turning it on and off 3 time it says P done. I replaced the fuel filter 2 weeks ago. Thanks for the welcome i hope someone can help me this truck is about to break me.

blackdiesel 10-15-2006 04:51 PM

did you take it to a dealer? what codes did you get to start with before changing the pumps? If no codes what made them so sure it was the pump? Have you took it back to the place that supposedly fixed it, and what did they say about it? Do you have a fuel presure gauge on it ?

weldman05 10-15-2006 05:42 PM

Thats the thing it never threw a code, they said it was the pump. They put a new one on and when the realized it was not the pump they replaced my old one free of charge. Yes i have a fuel pressure gauge at idle it reads 13 and cruzin down the road 9 or10.

blackdiesel 10-15-2006 06:38 PM

well with no codes were shooting in the dark, BIG TIME. you say you put a diff. apps (tps) and it change for a while? could be in the wire harness, ecm, or like said tranny. I would take it to the dealer, some code might be hiding still

weldman05 10-15-2006 07:00 PM

I took it to a dodge dealer after i put on the tps to have it recalibrated , they said there were no codes at all. Should i dump a bottle of lucas inn the tranny.

weldman05 10-18-2006 12:15 AM

I took the truck to cummins today they had no clue, they had a laptop hooked up in the truck when it surged no fault codes, they reformatted the ecm has anyone ever heard of doing that it has run good for about100 miles

D2 Cat 10-18-2006 08:22 AM

Is it your transmission feeling like it's slipping at 35-55 MPH, or the engine losing power? If it's your transmission, do a search for "transmission hunting". The torque converter may lock and unlock at speeds from 35-40 MPH. It could be as simple as bad grounds, or a shield required from the alternator ground wire to pass. side battery.

D2 Cat 10-18-2006 08:37 AM

Check this thread. Go to 2nd generation performance and acc. and go down to: "Surging automatic tranny".

XLR8R 10-18-2006 11:45 AM

Sounds like the tranny is slipping in and out of TC lock, or perhaps OD.

If you install a manual switch for them, you can eliminate that problem, and you'd find it handy even on a new tranny.

blackdiesel 10-18-2006 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by weldman05 (Post 1170553)
I took the truck to cummins today they had no clue, they had a laptop hooked up in the truck when it surged no fault codes, they reformatted the ecm has anyone ever heard of doing that it has run good for about100 miles

yes they are reflashed all the time. Hoped that fixed if for ya[guitar]