HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

rail pressure problems! any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 08:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question rail pressure problems! any ideas?

SO...I have been having a problem, I think, with my FCA over the past couple months. I have had hard starts, rough idle, and on a couple of occasions an uncontrolled throttle surge or lack of throttle response at all. It normally is a hard start and rough idle, low rail pressure, problem where itll be tough to start but after a couple key cycles it does start and may or may not have the low and erratic rail pressure. However, the past couple days it has gotten really hard to start and the rail pressure has gotten increasingly erratic. I had gotten a new one several weeks ago from the dealership that was apparently not any good because it pegged out my rail pressure guage at 26k and wouldnt come down so I cleaned up the old one tapped it a couple times against my bumper and put it back in and it worked flawlessly for a couple weeks then went back to the same old song. This morning I put another new FCA on it and had trouble starting it right off but when it did finally air out and start it ran flawlessly. An hour or so later I drove it a few miles to town, shut it off, and restarted it and drove home with no problems. A couple hours later I got in it to leave again and it stumbled and idled rough for a few seconds again. I got to my buddies and shut it off and was out there all afternoon then when I went to start it again it it was really tough to start, then I let it sit for another hour or so and I tried at least 30 times to get it to start. I tapped on the FCA and jacked with the throttle and everything else and finally had a eureka moment and unplugged the FCA to see if it would help. It started right away and I plugged it back in and after a few seconds it started working again and I drove to the restaurant with the rail pressure fluctuating wildly. After the meal I went back out and started it again without a problem and drove it home with absolutely no problems. This has been going on now for two months and I've gotten completely confounded by the whole thing after changing it twice and not accomplishing much. Whats the deal?
Old 02-13-2011, 07:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would check the FCA plug for any corrosion and the wire for any soft spots like a broken or chaffed wire. Also check ground locations too
Old 02-13-2011, 10:17 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
if the fca plug does not make good contact it pegs the gauge. check the new fca with a ohm meter i think it is about 10 ohms but since you have two of them just compare. i had one the pin was not seated and did not stick out far enough to mate. two cycle oil will free most just go to walmart and get some and pore it in the tank.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok Thanks