HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

radius arm won't line up with lower control arm

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 08:15 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
radius arm won't line up with lower control arm

I'm stuck in the middle of the front end rebuild on my 92 D250 and really need to get this finished ASAP.

I've put a full poly setup under there and everything's gone pretty good so far. Now that it's time to bolt the radius arm to the LCA, the stinkin thing won't line up. It's off to the rear by a full inch.
There's no way I can pry things around to make it work.

Since I put poly on the radius arm in the past, I left it bolted to the truck. When it failed to align, I removed the arm and tried lining it up that way. No dice. It's not happening. The sway bar is disconnected.
I do have the LCA with the big R stamped in it on the right side of the truck. I know the correct UCA is in there because I had to replace the driver's side due to damage.

I'm not about to put the driver's side together until I've got this straightened out.

What's gone wrong?
Old 07-30-2007, 04:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have had these problems before with LCA's (lift kits etc) and unfortunatly, have had to use a huge prybar (like 5' long). Try putting pressure back on the axle (or take pressure off) either way and see what gives easier when prying. These things do not just drop in usually because the force of the springs, tierods, draglinks etc are working against you. Hope this helps some (even though you said you cannot pry things around).
Old 07-30-2007, 05:04 PM

That really makes me wish I had done it on a lift at work.
I put a 4' pry bar in there but couldn't get a good pull on it.

I guess I'll find a way to get it pulled.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:20 PM

If this helps, I have attached the uppers (which I assume are attached on yours) and put the pry bar in where I could "twist" the axle. The uppers act as a pivot point, so it really is not pulling but twisting to get the rears lined up. When the LCA is close to the bracket, I have also shoved a tapered drift or punch in the LCA hole to help hold it, then work the other side. It is a PITA, especially on a big truck axle.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:07 PM

It's an even pigger PITA when you can't get the pry bar under the truck to tray that. That's what I thought about doing but simply don't have the room.

Most annoying.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:16 AM

if you have 3 control arms hooked up and the trac bar you can get in the truck, start it, put it in Drive (or 1st) hold the brake, and torque it into place,

this is not the safest method i know but it does work.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:24 AM

That's a thought I've had, but wanted to save it as a last resort.

BTW... the early trucks only have an upper arm, lower arm, and the strut rod (radius arm).