Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   HELP! (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/help-97/)
-   -   pump shaft twisted off (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/help-97/pump-shaft-twisted-off-51874/)

farmernate 09-29-2004 07:44 PM

pump shaft twisted off

93 w250 twisted off the injector pump shaft last weekend. Does anybody know why this happened. I'm stranded in Baton Rouge , LA. Pump rebuild should be done tomorrow so I can get it reinstalled. I just don't want to put it on and have it happen all over again. Fuel was turned up 1 turn from stock with no star whhel adjustments done. I had had a problem a couple of times with it not wanting to kill. I don't know if this was related or not. 297K on truck but less than 20K on the pump when this happened. Thanks for your help.

wannadiesel 09-29-2004 07:56 PM

The pump might have siezed on some trash left over from the last rebuild. There was probably a chunk floating around by the shut off solenoid which was why it wouldn't shut down. Or something just broke and got stuck. There's nothing internal to the engine that would twist off the pump shaft, it had to be a fault within the pump.

nitrousn 09-29-2004 08:09 PM

something jambed the pump. i would like to see what they find when its apart. are they warranting the pump?

farmernate 09-29-2004 08:10 PM

Do you have any help on making sure I get the pump back in time. Can the gear move in the front housing or can I be reasonably sure that its Ok. Any tips appreciated.

farmernate 09-29-2004 08:11 PM

no warranty on the pump after 90 days.

wannadiesel 09-29-2004 08:19 PM

Originally posted by farmernate
Do you have any help on making sure I get the pump back in time. Can the gear move in the front housing or can I be reasonably sure that its Ok. Any tips appreciated.
You can't make the gear jump a tooth easily. I assume you set the engine to TDC with the timing pin before you pulled the pump? If the keyway in the gear is at the top, the gear is in the right spot or close to it. Did the shaft twist off inside the pump or were you left with a stub of pump shaft in the gear?

farmernate 09-29-2004 08:25 PM

There is still the stub of shaft in the gear. I've got to dig my puller out tomorrow to get it pulled. I don't have the engine set at TDC yet. All I did was remove the pump to get the shop started working on it. I'm glad to know that it shouldn't have jumped a tooth. I was very concerned that I was going to need to pull the timing cover and that's a tough job for a beside the road mechanic.

wannadiesel 09-29-2004 08:32 PM

If the keyway is at the top once you're set at TDC on #1 you should be OK. When everything stopped suddenly in there God knows what happened. Good luck to you.

farmernate 09-29-2004 08:36 PM

I loosened the top bolts on the timing cover and took a peak at the gear. No visible Damage to it. I'm sure praying that there is nothing else wrong. I'm desperate to get this thing going so I can get back to work.

farmernate 10-14-2004 10:34 PM

pump went on ok. everything is running great. Thanks for the help.

wannadiesel 10-15-2004 05:38 PM

Glad to hear it worked out OK.