Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   HELP! (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/help-97/)
-   -   Pulling pitman arm (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/help-97/pulling-pitman-arm-51173/)

BigBlue 09-17-2004 06:34 PM

Pulling pitman arm

Ok. Went to pull the pitman arm off of my truck so I can replace it with the new one from the lift kit. I broke the puller head off and now I can't get the puller off. Yall have any ideas on how to get that off and then how to get the pitman arm itself off? Truck has to be working no later than 10am monday morning. Thanks for the help yall.

BigBlue 09-17-2004 07:02 PM

'Nother question. I held the new pitman arm up to the old one and they look identical. Any reason I couldn't use the old on? They are the same length, thickness, same drop, same angle, everything. Thanks for the help yall. We got the puller off and come to find out, the threads were stripped on it and that was why it was so hard to turn. Now I just got to convince o'reilly's of this.[eyecrazy]

phox_mulder 09-17-2004 07:36 PM

I just went out and held my old one up to my new one and they are identical.

I thought for sure the new one was longer, but I guess it isn't.

Maybe the 2500/3500's already have a longer one, cause I thought for sure my lift included a "drop pitman arm"

phox

BigBlue 09-17-2004 07:39 PM

Mine said it included it to. Hmmm. I might end up using the stock one and see what happens. What's the worse that could happen? Thanks for the help phox.

rjordan 09-18-2004 02:12 AM

ok ive had a little experience installing and un-installing lifts on these dodges, so, the pitman arms look the same but they arent, the stock one has the tapered end where the tie rod goes in on the top side, the aftermarket one has the taper on the bottom side, so when you go to install the tie rod into it, you have to loosen the rod end and flip it 180 degrees so it goes in from the bottom instead of the top.

tgrfan3 09-18-2004 07:55 AM

puller

Can you get a Sawzall in to the puller? If you can you should be able to cut the bolt and get it out. I have removed several and they are no fun. Try soaking it with WD40 or Blaster PB. I always had to do a little convincing with a hammer too. I also have a few "magic words" I say if the wife and grands aren't around.
I wanted to be out there today. Too bad 'cause I would give you a hand before the game. I usually pull for A&M since my dad was from Cooper. Today I have to say GO TIGERS!
Good luck with the pitman arm, but we need the luck tonight!

BigBlue 09-18-2004 10:40 AM

Darn it rjordan, why'd you have to tell me that.[laugh]

tgrfan3, we got the puller off, now we need to take it back and get another one or figure out some other way to get it off or something. Hopefully we won't break the next one.[eyecrazy]

tgrfan3 09-18-2004 11:06 AM

Good to hear. We always say if beating on it with a hammer doesn't work get a bigger hammer!

P.O.R. 09-21-2004 08:24 PM

if you are not going to need the pitman arm take a 4 1/2 inch grinder with a cut off wheel on it and put a deep cut in the arm running with the sector shaft stop the cut before going all the way through then take a chissel and a hammer and give it a good hit untill the arm cracks through the rest of the way,it will come rite of with a liitle pull.when putting new one on use anti sieze incase theres a next time..

P.O.R. 09-21-2004 09:12 PM

if you are not going to need the pitman arm take a 4 1/2 inch grinder with a cut off wheel on it and put a deep cut in the arm running with the sector shaft stop the cut before going all the way through then take a chissel and a hammer and give it a good hit untill the arm cracks through the rest of the way,it will come rite of with a liitle pull.when putting new one on use anti sieze incase theres a next time..

BigBlue 09-21-2004 09:44 PM

I got it off without destroying it. Ended up just threading another bolt through the puller, hitting it up with some WD-40, and impacting the crud out of it. Thanks for the help yall.