Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   HELP! (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/help-97/)
-   -   Power Steering Leak? (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/help-97/power-steering-leak-40529/)

Palmetto_kid 03-08-2004 07:04 AM

Power Steering Leak?

I cannot figure this out. When I was underneath my truck the other day I found a small leak. I was fixing to roll under my truck on the drivers side, next to the front wheel, under the door. I spotted a small puddle. I ran my finger in it, and smelled it. It smelt like P.S. fluid.

So I roll under and start looking. I look up in to the frame rail, and see a fluid dripping off the fuel return line. It it dripping out of the rubber protection tube that surrounds the plastic fuel line.

Yesterday, I took over to a friends house and put the truck on his lift. We got underneath it, and looked. All up by the LP, & MAP, IAT sensors it is wet. The supply and return fuel lines are wet. The bell housing and NV4500 are wet. I looked at the P.S. & Vacuum pump, and they were dry. I followed all the lines out, and none are leaking.

So I spray engine degreaser on everything, and let it dry. Now everything is clean. I figured I would let it run while on the lift, and stand under it to see if I can see a leak anywhere. Well, I couldnt see anything.

I pulled, poked, and proded everything I could see & get my hands on. I didnt find anything.

I had to rule out fuel, and oil becuase it does not smell like either of the two. Plus, it looks like a fresh clean fluid. I think oil would come out as darker, and fuel would really stink(i have had fuel leaks before).

has anyone dealt with this?
I think a trip to dodge might be in order, but I would like to fix it myself.

If I do go to the dealer, do i need to unplug my Fuel Pressure gauge, remove the tapped banjo, and put the shcrader banjo back in? (I probly will to be safe)

BarryG 03-08-2004 07:42 AM

This may or may not be your problem but on mine this has happened twice. I have heard of it happening to many others as well so it is at least worth checking. The top of the steering gear box (not the pump) has a plate or cap that is held on with four bolts. The bolts had worked loose and fluid was puking out that cover. Usually only on a cold start up. The first time I found it 2 of the bolts were almost completely out and the remaining two were just finger tight. The second time 3 of the four were finger tight and the 4th seemed good. It hasn't happend again in the last 50k.

Palmetto_kid 03-08-2004 09:46 AM

I will check this this evening, but the steering box was dry. it was all clean. that is what a dont understand. How is it getting back there?

dsljunkie 03-09-2004 11:09 AM

Check your hydraulic brake booster. Mine leaks like a big dog and I havent had the cash to get a "new" (rebuilt) one. I have alot of the same symptoms that you describe too: oil all over fuel lines, inner fender well, front axel, tranny, etc.
Scott

Palmetto_kid 03-16-2004 02:25 PM

BTT

Scubasteve 03-16-2004 08:07 PM

Is your power steering fluid low?

I would have to agree with a leaking brake booster. I wonder if there is a place to get a rebuild kit for those instead of replacing the whole thing?

This is like the vacuum pump, 1000 dollar plus bill for 20 bucks worth of seals tops!!

Jason

Palmetto_kid 03-17-2004 07:11 AM

My power steering fluid was low. I topped it off yesterday.

infidel 03-17-2004 09:28 AM

Brake expert Sam Peterson at 360-357-4958 M-F 8-5 Pacific can supply booster rebuild kits, if I remember correctly they are under $50.

Trick for finding leaks is to clean the suspect area well, let it dry then spray it down with aerosol athletics' foot power. The oil will leave a trail in the powder leading right to the leak's source.

Palmetto_kid 03-17-2004 10:41 AM

im gonna try that this weekend. thanks Infi.

Palmetto_kid 03-17-2004 10:42 AM

I just cant see thebrake booster leaking because it is so freking dry around it.

Palmetto_kid 03-29-2004 07:47 AM

I have found what is leaking. Trannsmission fluid.

I checked my NV4500, and it was low. Since it was saturday, I could not find any Castrol Syntorouqe(dealers where all closed), so I opted to top it off with Castrol Syntech.

I cant figure out where it is leaking. It drips off of the low point of the tranny (the bottom of the bellhousing), and is all over the underside of the tranny, 4x4 drive shaft, and alll up around the LP. I just dont know.

Everything in the engine compartment is dry. It is wet on the drivers side between the tranny and the frame.

help!