Out of fuel - Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Out of fuel

Old 11-01-2002, 01:47 PM
ts

Out of fuel

I have a 2000 ram. I had contaminated fuel. I dropped the tank, cleaned it out, wasnt that bad. Removed the filter housing and cleaned it. Put a new filter in it. I filled the housing with fuel and ran the pump to allow fuel to come out of the shrader valve. What now it wont start??? Please help, I would really appreciate it.
Old 11-01-2002, 02:18 PM
AlK

Re:Out of fuel

Not sure if this works on a 2002, but on my 92 I would crack the line open at the injectors and crank the motor until fuel comes out.
---
Al
Old 11-01-2002, 03:36 PM
RCW

With that much air in the system, you are going to have to bleed off the injectors. <br><br>Go through the schrader valve drill again, then check your overflow line to be sure fuel is flowing back to the tank when the pump is in its run cycle. If everything is clear and flowing, then bleed your injectors.<br><br>It is a pain to bleed them, but get a helper and start by cranking the engine while you crack #1, let it bleed off the air and then tighten it. Tighten it while the engine is still cranking. Work your way down the line until it starts and runs rough. Then carefully work the rest of them until it smoothes out. If the fuel starts evaporating when it hits the exhaust manifold. Take a break until everything cools down.<br><br>If you have not done this before, by &quot;CRACK,&quot; I mean barely open the pressure fitting on each injector just enough so that you see bubbles and weeping fuel. Opening them any more than that is counterproductive and dangerous. Keep your hands and eyes away from the leaking fuel. It is under about 2,800 lbs of pressure, and that is enough to blast through your skin and can kill if it gets in your blood stream.<br><br>It is a good idea to keep a water hose handy, but do not get any water on the injectors, just keep the exhaust manifold cool.
Old 11-01-2002, 03:39 PM
ts

Thanks for the info RCW. I have the injector lines cracked open about a full turn and nothing is coming out of them even when I crank the motor. I do hear my pumps running after I crank it. Anything else?
Old 11-01-2002, 08:35 PM

Here's the procedure for bleeding an '02. Yours should be the same. Paraphrased from the manual.

1) Loosen the banjo bolt holding the low pressure fuel supply line to the side of the injection pump
2) Bump the starter, and the lift pup should run for 25 seconds. If fuel is not present after the 25 seconds, repeat procedure.
3) Tighten banjo bolt to 24 N.m (18 ft. lbs. of torque) and attempt to start engine. Engine may sound like crap (that's my words ) for the first few minutes. This is normal.

Hope it works.

-Tom-
Old 11-01-2002, 10:22 PM
ts

I believe the pump is bad. There is no fuel coming out of the injectors. Will take it to the squealer Monday morning and let you all know. Thank goodness its still under warranty.
Old 11-11-2002, 12:58 AM
ts

I ended up having to replace the lift pump and injector pump, both bad. Thanks for the help
Old 11-12-2002, 02:19 PM

[quote author=ts link=board=13;threadid=6500;start=0#64950 date=1036994285]<br>I ended up having to replace the lift pump and injector pump, both bad. Thanks for the help<br>[/quote]<br><br>Did you send the bill to the Fuel company?? I would, a nieghbor got some bad gas, lot of water in it, one time and messed up the car. The gas station paid the bill to get it fixed, and went out of business about 3 mo later because no would buy gas from them anymore,in a small town news like that travels fast.
Old 11-12-2002, 03:27 PM

[quote author=Ryan link=board=13;threadid=6500;start=0#65817 date=1037128772]<br>Did you send the bill to the Fuel company?? I would, a nieghbor got some bad gas, lot of water in it, one time and messed up the car. The gas station paid the bill to get it fixed, and went out of business about 3 mo later because no would buy gas from them anymore,in a small town news like that travels fast.<br>[/quote]<br><br>I tried this with a fuel company here, as I had just filled up at one of their stations before my truck started running rough and eventually resulted in replacing the lift pump (dealer wouldn't cover) and injection pump (dealer covered). Of course the fuel company rep claimed they do tests on their fuel tanks and he did some checking on their pumps, etc. for the time period which included the date of my fill up and they found no problems with their fuel. Needless to say, I don't use their diesel anymore and I have found out that others have had problems with their fuel. I have heard of fuel companies paying for repairs caused by their fuel so it's worth a try. It just didn't work out for me. Thankfully the VP44 was covered under warranty.<br><br>CR