HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Electrical Mystery

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2002, 05:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Electrical Mystery

Looking for some ideas here. <br><br>I had the engine &amp; tranny steam cleaned this morning. All went well, truck started and ran fine all the way home (20 min drive on the highway). Some 5 hours later I hopped in to go to the store, turned the key on, all was normal until I tried to start. The starter half kicked the engine then quit. Tried it a second time, this time all it did was click like the battery was dead. I tried it one more time and this time when I hit the starter the whole electrical system went dead. Turned the key off then on again but there was zero power. :'(Being in a hurry I used the wife’s car instead.<br><br>After getting back I set out to see what might be the problem. I checked the battery. No load it was 12.85 volts, connections were tight so I tried the key again. Radio comes on, dash lights up so I tried the starter and it fires right up! ???<br><br>I know the whole system went down because all the presets on the radio are gone. <br><br>Any ideas what could have happened. These kinds of problems make me nervous.<br><br>Jay<br>
Old 10-26-2002, 06:42 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Re:Electrical Mystery

Check the negative cables where they attach to the block. Also there was a bulletin issued on that small wire working loose on the starter. Beyond that I guess something just didn't like getting wet. Wish I could offer more suggestions for you.
Old 10-26-2002, 11:50 PM
Muted User

You prolly blasted a relay or got water in one or basically shorted a wire or two with water. Gave the electricity a new path to go.... then the water dried up and everything was back to normal. That's my best guess from what I was given. If your starter kicked out half *** then stopped.... it could be because when a load is applied the temperture rises and at a point the current will find a new path go back to ground. The easiest way back could have been through the water. Far fetched about the starter... but not so far fetched about shorting a relay or something temperarly.
Old 10-27-2002, 06:50 AM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

Check and clean all your connections. After buying a new starter, I found my problem on the driver side of the transmission. The plug for what I believe is the neutral safety switch is not designed well. Mine was loose and only aloud the starter to funtion occasionally.<br>Don