HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

no heat in cab, blower works fine

Old 10-29-2002, 08:01 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
no heat in cab, blower works fine

<br>I just bought this used 95 CC 2WD CTD. it was meticulously maintained and all the records to prove it . I drove it around today and there is no heat. blows only outside air temp inside. No heat at all. I felt the radiator hoses and they were plenty warm but it doesn't seem to be getting inside the cab. I saw no shutoff. The temp gauge was reading 170. ??? Any ideas . I don't even know where the thermostat is located.in the cast iron housing bolted to the block at the end of the radiator hose I suppose. TIA. DAVE
Old 10-30-2002, 05:54 PM
RCW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:no heat in cab, blower works fine

If your water temp is up where it belongs, your thermostat is good. But, for future reference the thermostat is located in a casting that is bolted to the right front of the engine, just above the alternator, and hooked to the block that feeds the upper radiator hose.<br><br>I suspect that your controls have either come unhooked, or the vacuum motors are stuck in vent position. First check to see that the heater hoses are circulating hot water by putting your hand on them after the engine has warmed. They are on the firewall on the right (passenger) side of the engine, just below top of the firewall.<br><br>If you have warm hoses, then check to see that you have vacuum when the engine is running. The vacuum pump is down by the power steering pump and you can trace the hoses back up to where you can reach them.<br><br>If you have vacuum, then crawl under the dash on the passenger side and remove the kick panel and you will see the heater assembly. Check the vacuum motors and the air mix/blend control cable to be sure they are all working, and you can also see the top of the heater core and feel to see if it is hot.<br><br>Check the vacuum motors by putting a chunk of tubing on them and pulling a vacuum and holding it. It they do not hold, that will be the problem. If they do hold, but the controls do not work then check the vacuum supply to the controls and be sure that the check valve in the hose assembly under the hood is working (I have seen people remove them and accidentally install them backwards so the vacuum does not get past them anymore).<br><br>If everything is go this far, and the controls are not functioning, AND YOU ARE NOT EXPERIENCED WITH THE AIR BAG SYSTEMS AND HOW THEY WORK, go get a repair manual and follow the instructions, or take it to a shop that works on these guys.<br><br>These Dodges have an air bag switch and need to have the negative battery cable disconnected about 5 minutes to be sure the capacitor is discharged before attempting to remove the heat and AC controls from the dash. Any attempted removal without disconnecting the battery and letting the system discharge can lead to the bag blowing - and that is really big bucks!<br><br>9 times out of 10, the blend cable is loose from the back of the control and stuck in the cold position, OR someone has unhooked a vacuum hose in the engine compartment.<br>
Old 10-30-2002, 11:15 PM

Thanx , sounds like a plan, I am used to that vauum controller/cable thing from the old chevys I owned and repaired. I called the X-owner and he said it has always been that way. he put 3 thermostats in it's lifetime and the latest one was the one recommended by cummins to stop fluctuations. I also know where it goes now. No biggy like I thought. I blocked the whole radiator off and it just gets lukewarm now. so you are saying that the heater CORE &amp; Mix controls are under the kick panel ? that sounds too easy. I had a T-bird &amp; Taurus that the whole dash had to come out of. <br>I know this is a problem and not a 'nature of the beast' because a friend has a 2000 CTD that cooks inside once up to temp.<br>Now lets address the slow warming process and what to do for iced over windshields??? , .thanx, DAVE
Old 10-31-2002, 08:57 AM

[quote author=crossy link=board=13;threadid=6398;start=0#59703 date=1036041305]<br>Now lets address the slow warming process and what to do for iced over windshields??? , .thanx, DAVE<br>[/quote]<br><br>Plug it in and park it in the garage! <br><br>Tony
Old 10-31-2002, 10:20 AM

oh ,there's one in every crowd, usually ME!<br><br>problem Is am a shift worker (12hr.) and sometimes nights. Where I work is on a man made penisula in the Delaware river. it gets 10* colder than than in town and we frequently get freezing rain. I was looking on ebay and spotted some cheap 12V heaters that may help until I can find the problem. I did figure out how to start it correctly AFTER i read the owners manual.<br><br>READY OR NOT, HERE I CUMMINS!
Old 11-01-2002, 03:37 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts

Crossy- maybe you can get a fuel powered water heater for the Cummins. Over here we use them a lot. (Made by Webasto and Eberspächer). They have some circuitry to first warm the engine to a preset temp and start the blower to heat the interior. They are availlable with a remote control and a timer. It's nice to sit at the breakfast table, push a button and after 2 cups of coffee enter a warm truck. <br>I think that your problems come from the heater cable- be careful with those airbags as stated before- not only because of the $$ to get new airbags, but primarily because a deploying airbag can either implant some tools or body parts into parts of your body where they are at least not appreciable. <br>Does your system react to turning the selector? If yes it should be the cable.<br><br>HTH<br><br>AlpineRAM
Old 11-01-2002, 05:16 AM

Your temperature sounds a little cool (170). It should have a 180 or 190 tstat in it. There should be some warm air though.