Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   HELP! (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/help-97/)
-   -   My woes continue (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/help-97/my-woes-continue-177715/)

scuzman00 11-11-2007 09:41 PM

My woes continue

Driving up to the deer lease yesterday, my engine lost major power and I noticed that my A/C quit blowing cold. Got to deer camp and pulled codes. Drove home tonite and noticed that volt gauge was showing 10-11 volts while driving and then would go to 12-13 volts while on hiway speeds. Pulled codes when I got home an the ones I can not figure out are P0320 and P0216 (which I know is the vp death code) My question is if the alternator is not charging properly, could the codes be generated because of lack of proper charging?? I had a multitude of other codes generated so I am thinking along the lines that they are all of electrical bus origination. The lift pump is 4 weeks old and the truck ran fine until P0500 code limited accelerator pedal operation (truck majorly de-fueled and was difficult to keep at 60 mph.

Gary

phox_mulder 11-11-2007 10:12 PM

P0320 No RPM Signal To PCM

If I had to guess, and I guess I do, I'd say camshaft position sensor.

If the PCM doesn't think the engine is running, it won't let accessories like air conditioning and alternator do their thing.

Did you see the tach doing strange things? sounds intermittent going by the charging fluctuating.

phox

vzdude 11-11-2007 10:53 PM

Cam or crank sensor. Crank sensors seem to be fairly common.

AlpineRAM 11-12-2007 02:07 AM

I'd also suggest crank sensor- and would rebuild the starter at the same time. Has a problem on a 99 that had almost the same symptoms due to the starter arcing. Replaced the crank sensor once- good for 2 weeks. Then replaced the sensor again and put in new starter contacts- seems to be good for 15 k miles now.

Do also check your grounds.

AlpineRAM

Grider Pirate 11-12-2007 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by AlpineRAM (Post 1785953)
I'd also suggest crank sensor- and would rebuild the starter at the same time. Has a problem on a 99 that had almost the same symptoms due to the starter arcing. Replaced the crank sensor once- good for 2 weeks. Then replaced the sensor again and put in new starter contacts- seems to be good for 15 k miles now.

Do also check your grounds.

AlpineRAM

No Crank Postion Sensor on '02. Cam Position Sensor only from '01 up. I just put a Crank Position Sensor in my '99 with 149,000 on the clock.

phox_mulder 11-12-2007 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Grider Pirate (Post 1786835)
No Crank Postion Sensor on '02. Cam Position Sensor only from '01 up.

Way I remember which sensor the '01 and up have is the replacement procedure.

Since the VP44 is in the way, it's cam, top of engine.

Crank you had to remove the starter to get to it, crank, bottom of engine.
Lucky pre '01 trucks had both.

phox