HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Missing and Smoking! What the **** happened to my Engine ??

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 11:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Originally Posted by mikmaze
I sure hope ya got upgrades in there and not just stockers that you obviously did not need !
They are aftermarkets. Don't know what they are though.

How do I find out what injectors they are ??

He's going to measure the hole diameters for one thing...
Old 11-30-2008, 11:29 PM

Arrow

Originally Posted by thumper549
He guessed wrong, sorry
I will go out on the limb here...
That was a short clip you posted, the noise was intermittent.
IF it was a head GSKT. I would think it would be a bang @ every comp stroke as it would not very......
Your noise was slower then crank speed by 1/2 (or every other time ), that leads me to believe valve train something or other ..or a miss firing inj.
I like it out here on the limb, its a bit lonely...but I get it right most the time
I hear what you're saying.

He removed the head and saw the damaged gasket. IIRC, he said it was blown between the cylinder and a headbolt or pushrod hole. ??? I'm not sure which.... Either way, this let compression gases in to build up in the crankcase.

There was no coolant or oil passages compromised that I know of. He said the cylinder walls and pistons looks real good. Still show cross-hatch pattern on the walls after 219k miles.

He's supposed to send me some pics.

He also said torque on the headbolts were all messed up.

The truck did have a Head gasket replaced about 30k miles ago by a Dodge Dealer. Their mechanics are now very experienced there.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would like to see pic of head gaskt both sides if I may . Thanx.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:24 AM

Arrow

Me too. I'll ask him to save it and send me some pics.

He's pretty far away from here to go get the gasket myself.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:39 AM

Thumbs up

Well, after (2 1/2) months, I finally got my truck back! :headbang:

This was the culprit. Mechanic has worked on a ton of Cummins and says he's never seen a head gasket blow like this one did!

Enjoy!

Old 02-01-2009, 10:41 AM

Arrow

The reverse side of the HG....

Old 02-01-2009, 12:08 PM

Looks like 2 cylinders are swapping preasure , and some going dwn a head bolt hole ? (cant remember it that is a dead end or not.)
Of course make sure you check every this for sq. straight and level.
Under NO circumstance re use the head bolts.
Old 02-01-2009, 05:59 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Looks like 2 cylinders are swapping preasure , and some going dwn a head bolt hole ? (cant remember it that is a dead end or not.)
Of course make sure you check every this for sq. straight and level.
Under NO circumstance re use the head bolts.
i wouldn't reuse any head bolts on a cummins, unless i couldn't find new ones
Old 02-01-2009, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by johnh
i wouldn't reuse any head bolts on a cummins, unless i couldn't find new ones

Why not? As per Cummins instructions and the measurement card included in the gasket kit I reused mine. 1st head gasket 198k, 2nd 453k and counting.
Old 02-01-2009, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by GAmes
Why not? As per Cummings instructions and the measurement card included in the gasket kit I reused mine. 1st head gasket 198k, 2nd 453k and counting.
Do as you like...been there with Cummings too many times with their 855s
Cummings has not ever had a good bolt dwn program.
If you want to bet on success go with a hedge on the bet and the elasticity of steel, not whats left.
New bolts are a group cheaper then re - do -a head again

Games- seems like you are in the middle of these conversations with NO real life experience.
This is the second time I see you jump on board with bad advice... no offence but please brush up on some stuffff please
Old 02-02-2009, 07:16 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
I would never ever reuse Cummings head bolts either.

If my Cummins head bolts fell withing the stretch gauge tolerance I would have no issues though.

Sorry, had to do it.......
Old 02-02-2009, 08:49 AM

Games- seems like you are in the middle of these conversations with NO real life experience.
This is the second time I see you jump on board with bad advice... no offence but please brush up on some stuffff please

I have plenty of experience with mine. I also read a lot a see that most of the premature failures are the result of something the operator did, not necessarily a design flaw. No truck is perfect, but the Dodge/Cummins combo outlasts all the competition which is evidenced by the fact that over 50% of the pick-ups used commercially (hot-shots, transporters, car haulers) are Dodges. I can tell you two things that probably melted your headlight switch, and how to prevent it from happening again, but I'll let you figure it out on your own since you have so much experience. And I'll trust Cummins engineers to tell me if bolts are reusable long before I'd believe someone with no credentials on the net.

BTW, the is no G in Cummins. You altered the quote from my post.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by GAmes
I have plenty of experience with mine. I also read a lot a see that most of the premature failures are the result of something the operator did, not necessarily a design flaw. No truck is perfect, but the Dodge/Cummins combo outlasts all the competition which is evidenced by the fact that over 50% of the pick-ups used commercially (hot-shots, transporters, car haulers) are Dodges. I can tell you two things that probably melted your headlight switch, and how to prevent it from happening again, but I'll let you figure it out on your own since you have so much experience. And I'll trust Cummins engineers to tell me if bolts are reusable long before I'd believe someone with no credentials on the net.

BTW, the is no G in Cummins. You altered the quote from my post.
G (spell check altered it sorry )

Sir, I do not want to be in a flame throwing contest.
People here depend on facts. That's thee only reason I am honoring a ans here.
I never insult anyone, I kindly try to pt. them to a ans. if possible . People sometimes get arrogant huffy , I gently try to remind them "pretend" if you will we are having coffee together-just a conversation a exchange of thoughts. In real life I recon you are a nice guy..Just here you are a little abrasive.

You have offered advice in error and whom ever reads this I urge you to look and research B4 you re-use head bolts (On anything for that matter)
Engineers will tell you "head bolts" are the ans. from a "Bean counter",They all know that "studs" work better in most any application."
You have plenty exp on your own trk .? This is good. At least you know the week pts. Please offer experienced advise.

You trust the Cummings Engineers ? The eng that comes to you with plastic piston cooling jets ?
Did they make a #53 block ?
Did they put a crank counter on the 98.5 that did not work so well and got rid of it ?
A L.P. that will not last ? (and mounted in the wrong place)
I could go on but it is pointless
You would reuse a "stretch " Bolt .? That is SILLY

This is what I think I know, The eng is a strait 6. This makes it much more EZR to repair then a V8. Has the same power of engines of different configurations (more or less )
Every Semi trk on the road uses a strait 6 anymore , there is no need for V8 and the like (there are a couple exceptions to the 6 cyl rule )
Therefor they are the logical choice for most people..me included.
It should have had removable liners to say the least !
It is NOT that they are so good...it is just that they aare the most affordable thing available
You do not have to defend them like kids in a Ford Chevy argument (Honda / Mazda ) Nowadays
Old 02-02-2009, 12:10 PM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
You would reuse a "stretch " Bolt .? That is SILLY
Sorry, the official definition of a non-reusable bolt is "Torque to Yield".

B series bolts are NOT Torque to Yield. Cummins has specified the limits that the standard bolts may stretch before replacement. This is nothing new, nor bad. Many failure critical fasteners are inspected and reused in places that people could die, much less lose a head gasket.

Not trying to extend the controversy, but we all should strive to be accurate.
Old 02-02-2009, 01:31 PM

Exclamation

For what it's worth in this conversation.

It appears the Dodge Dealership that replaced the headgasket (2yrs ago) REUSED the original head bolts.

This time my mechanic replaced all the head bolts with new ones.

Kind of curious as to this failure. ??? My mechanic found several of the original head bolts out of range (TQ) when removing them.

Now, was this caused by the Dodge dealership mechanic's ineptness in properly torquing down the head after replacing the head gasket ??

OR

Was this the result of REUSING the orginal head bolts ??

Also, my mechanic found the head to be significantly warped. I do not believe the Dodge dealership had it leveled before reinstalling it the last time. ???

Quick Reply: Missing and Smoking! What the **** happened to my Engine ??