Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   HELP! (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/help-97/)
-   -   Massive oil leak (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/help-97/massive-oil-leak-185544/)

MAKIN'SMOKE 01-04-2008 04:02 PM

Massive oil leak

Driving home from work the other day and lost the back end (extremely icey)and hit the ditch, lots of snow, was a soft landing and didn't feel anything rough when I went in. I tried unsuccessfully to get out. Another Dodge came by and pulled me out with ease. After the truck was out I went to have a look for any damage (truck was idling) looked underneath to see engine oil pouring out (estimate 1 litre every 5 minutes) the leak is coming from the front drivers side somewhere above the oilpan below the valve cover, looks to be right in behind the VP 44 but I cannot see where the oil is originating from. I did a search here and all I could find is leaking vacuum pump seal. Would this much oil come out if the seal was gone? Also I poured fresh oil back into it and after about 3 litres there was clean oil coming down in the same spot. I don't get it. Any help would be greatly appreciated, as my truck is stuck 1000km way from home at the Cummins shop, and would just like a heads up as what to expect. TIA

tinbanger 01-04-2008 04:26 PM

? its a long shot, but it could be coming from your power steering pump shaft, i know when i replaced my power steering pump i nicked the seal and it poured out oil, did your steering get a sharp jerk or impact?

Busboy 01-04-2008 04:34 PM

I know that moment of impact when it all turns white but could your puke bottle/tube have become plugged with snow and frozen after the ditching? If so the engine may not be breathing and could be pressurizing the crankcase and blowing it out the vac/ps pump. Also could you have a puncture in the oil pan and oil may be spraying out at an angle? When ditching you never know whats there hiding in the snow.

mikmaze 01-04-2008 04:35 PM

its not coming out the breather tube is it, could you have wiped out an injector tryin to get unstuck ? pouring out while running or parked / mnotor shut off ??????

vzdude 01-04-2008 05:27 PM

If I remember correct....isn't there an oil line right there too? Could have snapped off a fitting from the impact ?

MAKIN'SMOKE 01-04-2008 06:13 PM

Thanks for the replies guys, Oil only pours out when it's running. My first thought when I saw the oil coming out was that the breather was plugged, but I checked that and it was all good.

kthiemann 01-05-2008 06:40 AM

I've seen a couple of those where the fitting for the oil line to the vacuum pump was cracked....leaked oil like mad but looked normal. It's in the same place as your oil leak and not always visible without looking at it while the engine is running.

dozer12216 01-06-2008 08:08 PM

You should be able to see the leak from your description if you look carefully. Another possibility is the dowel plug aligning the front cover coming out and puncturing the front housing. Clean the area with engine degreaser and wash down. Apply very low air pressure to crancase and spray detergent on area you suspect leak is coming from. Will bubble up if get suds to leak area..

GAmes 01-06-2008 08:12 PM

Tappet cover?

gmctd 01-09-2008 07:14 PM

The geartrain timing plug has a seal - possibly it backed out

Also the vacuum pump has a hose for crankcase oil - maybe it broke\came loose

TruckU 01-09-2008 08:55 PM

WELL??? waiting....

cyric 01-27-2008 07:42 PM

Did you ever get your leak figured out? I had to go haul my neighbors truck home because it was doing the exact same thing. I was just curious to see what was leaking.
Joe