HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Just replaced front U-Joints ... how do I get the axle splines back in

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 05:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Just replaced front U-Joints ... how do I get the axle splines back in

Hi all,

I just replaced the front U-Joints folling the nice step by step Ball Joint process on the DTR WIKI.

Question: I am now putting it all back together tonight.... how do I get the Differential end axle splines to lift up and engage into the Diff?

I have slid both axles back in the tube but they stop right before the Different spline engagement. Do I need to remove the Diff. cover to lift the end of the axle up?

Also, my Ball Joints look pretty good but both sides have about 1/8" up/down movement on both upper & lowers. How much BJ movement is too much?

Thanks in advance.

***Update*** -after further research I found out that the amount of up/down movement I have on my ball joints is normal. Side to side movement is a problem and indicates wear.

***Update*** OK, I solved my spline problem with a BFH ... I was expecting the shafts to slide in easily and did not want to hit the spindle end and maybe ding it up. Finally I got out the Snap-On BFH and after a few wacks the shaft slide home.

This case is closed!