Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   HELP! (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/help-97/)
-   -   Instrument Failure (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/help-97/instrument-failure-74609/)

code7 08-08-2005 01:57 AM

Instrument Failure

I was driving home last night from work without any problems. All of the sudden, the ABS, then Air Bag, Fuel, then Engine idiot lights went off, and then all the instrument needles went to zero. The truck continued to run and I had all instrument lights working. Also the steering wheel controls failed. When I got home, I restarted the truck without incident, but the gauges still failed. What do you think is the cause? Since its night time, I have not had time to check any fuses, but that is where I will start.

code7 08-08-2005 02:55 AM

Cps

How do I go about finding and replacing the CPS. I believe after reading some postings on DTR, that this maybe my problem (all my instrument gauges failed when the engine was running). 2001 Dodge Ram SLT Cummings...

code7 08-08-2005 03:02 AM

?CPS/instrument Failure

In addition to my questions posted, I failed to report that on the mileage indicator, it was reading no buS. Is this a CPS problem? 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT Cummings

randy smith 08-08-2005 01:30 PM

failed instrument cluster

code 7,
i experienced the exact same problem last spring. i have an 2001 ho 6-speed. i went to the dealer and they said the cluster had lost communication with the powertrain control module. also had no bus on odometer. i checked all fuses and had autozone look at trouble codes. there were two codes they could not identify and said it would take factory equipment to explain. i thought i might have a loose connection and moved wiring at connectors under dash.
i took the insturment cluster out thinking i might see a fault in the printed curcuit. when disconnecting the cluster i noticed the gauge needles fall to the stop. i could not see any problem and reinstalled the cluster. when i turned the switch on the gauges jumped up and
the idiot lights cycled out. i had a trouble code that when out after 4 normal starts. the only
thing that was abnormal was i slipped the rear wheel on wet pavement about 300 feet before the cluster went dead. i thought possibably this might have created a dlitch in the powertrain control module. i have not had this problem again. i bought a haynes repair manual
for $17 . it did not address this exact problem, but has provided me with a lot of info about
my truck. good luck. i hope your fix will be as easy as mine.

randy smith

JKM 08-08-2005 03:27 PM

Code 7 , i replied to your e-mail ;)

phox_mulder 08-08-2005 05:57 PM

First off welcome to the board (only 4 posts, must be a newbie ;) )

We'll probably need more information about the vehicle in question,
assuming it is a Dodge Diesel truck.
Year, Model, Make, Color, any mod's that have been done, etc.

phox

dodgetech77 08-08-2005 08:30 PM

You need to check for a wire harnes rub on the dipstick tube. even if its not rubbed through still pull it away. Ive fixed several of them