HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Hub bearing seized to the Steering Knuckle....What's the secret method?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 05:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hub bearing seized to the Steering Knuckle....What's the secret method?

HHHEELLPP!!.......Have 01 4x4 Quadcab Cummins up on stands, brakes and rotors off, axle nuts removed, 4 hub bearing bolts removed, all per manual, and I can't get my hub bearings to seperate from my steering knuckle . Am sure maybe the right "wrapping?" with the hand sledge might work but don't want to do any damage. I applied penetrating oil liberally and am waiting for a to direct me. Hope someone can give me some tips.
Thanks in advance,
Chris
Old 08-19-2006, 05:39 PM

I forgot to mention I am replacing lower ball joints which is my reason for said predicament.
Chris
Old 08-19-2006, 11:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You'll need a helper you can trust..... screw in one of the 12 point hub bolts a few threads back into the hub. Find an appropriate sized deep socket to put on the end of the bolt. Have the helper turn the wheel so that the socket will wedge against the axle. Basically the socket is going to be between the hub bolt and the axle assy. You'll then have the helper start the truck and have him slowly turn the wheel. The deep socket will "press" against the hub bolt and hopefully push it out. You may have to stop and try the procedure from the other side to loosen it. I've had good results using this method and still have all my fingers.....so far. Luckily rust is basically unheard of down here. I can pull the hubs on my 01 by hand .
Old 08-19-2006, 11:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by J BODY
You'll need a helper you can trust..... screw in one of the 12 point hub bolts a few threads back into the hub. Find an appropriate sized deep socket to put on the end of the bolt. Have the helper turn the wheel so that the socket will wedge against the axle. Basically the socket is going to be between the hub bolt and the axle assy. You'll then have the helper start the truck and have him slowly turn the wheel. The deep socket will "press" against the hub bolt and hopefully push it out. You may have to stop and try the procedure from the other side to loosen it. I've had good results using this method and still have all my fingers.....so far. Luckily rust is basically unheard of down here. I can pull the hubs on my 01 by hand .

That's a good tip J thanks I will remember that one.
Old 08-20-2006, 11:15 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Picture tells a thousand...

Old 08-20-2006, 11:25 AM
Chapter President

- don't pull your axleshaft out, that can tear seals and cause leaks
Old 08-20-2006, 05:20 PM

Thanks for the replys guys! Well I spent all day on steel and still nothing. I first tried the socket with extension against the axle trick in all 4 directions...and my truck only at me. This truck was originally from northern ohio when new(snow belt) which I think has caused my problem with seizure. I have been very liberal with my penetrating oil, lightly heated my hub bearing twice then more oil, heated the knuckle itself a little hotter..more oil, all the while cracking my 1/2" extension with 9/16 socket and 5 pounder.......... I also took the ends loose from the steering knuckle so I could get better access to the back of the bolts. I believe I'm in need of a bigger gun.....any more ideas? I would hate to trash my bearings as I don't want to spend any more than I have to (who does right?) and think there is still plenty of service left in them. Please keep the ideas coming as my penetrating oil continues its job. I will add a few pics of these edit I will add to this thread if I can find where the wife hid them .
Thanks Guys!
Chris

Last edited by wannadiesel; 08-20-2006 at 06:50 PM. Reason: site rules violation
Old 08-20-2006, 06:33 PM

buy a big air hammer and hammer away
Old 08-20-2006, 06:53 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Jeeps have a similar design. The guys on the Jeep forums say to back the bolts out a couple turns and take a drive around the block while swerving and braking hard. You should feel/hear it pop free. Drive home gently and disassemble. Hope it works for you.
Old 08-20-2006, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Rdway60
Thanks for the replys guys! Well I spent all day on steel and still nothing.
......well at least your not posting on how much shop X charged you for labor for your ball joints and destroyed your wheel bearings while doing the job costing you an extra $400. That job pays 3.6 hrs book 1.8 warranty ...not including alignment. I would have definately added "rust tax" to that estimate. Maybe try to spray the bearings with your penetraiting oil and hope for the best. Might have to let it sit for quite awile....by the way, the "good book" calls for using a huge puller. It would ruin the bearing for sure. I've proven that a few times.
Old 08-20-2006, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by J BODY
Luckily rust is basically unheard of down here. I can pull the hubs on my 01 by hand .
Take it from a fellow snow, ice and salted roads guy, RUST is our enemy (see location). The power steering and socket thing didn't work on my truck either. I had to resort to lots of penetrating oil and started with a thin gasket scraper between the hub and knuckle, driving it with a big hammer from all directions. Worked up to chisel and popped it out.

Put it back with lots of anti-seize after a good sanding of the rusted surfaces.

Good luck.
Old 08-20-2006, 10:24 PM

Concrete chisel and BFH. Not a fun project.
Old 08-20-2006, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by cville6
Take it from a fellow snow, ice and salted roads guy, RUST is our enemy (see location).
.....X Dakotan here. Been there....done that. The dry southwest is a technitions best friend.
Old 08-21-2006, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by cville6
Put it back with lots of anti-seize after a good sanding of the rusted surfaces.

Good luck.

This will definitely help the next time disassembly is required. If the axleshaft nut is still in place it might be possible to bolt the tire back on and use the tire as a leverage point to grap and pull.
Old 08-21-2006, 07:49 PM

I've always had good luck with a air chisel with a blunt edge. Screw the bolts in a little and hammer on the bolt heads, the hammering loosens the rust and pushes the hub out.

Quick Reply: Hub bearing seized to the Steering Knuckle....What's the secret method?