HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Head Gasket Change - Shop Price?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 01:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Head Gasket Change - Shop Price?!?!?

I just called my local Cummins shop and they quoted me 18 hours to change my head gasket. $2260.00. I have had work done before at the Cummins shop and they do GREAT work. But 18 hours? Doesn't that seem a little high???
Old 11-27-2007, 12:00 AM

I had CUmmins do head geaskets ( please note the S at the end) this is at two shops in Nevada. Five gaskets later the truck had a knock. I pulled the engine and low and behold found number six cylinder was scored and the piston and rings ruined. In the oil pan I found pieces of the electrical loom, the pan has never been off of the engine until now, I'll let you guess how they got there.
The shop let dirt fall in the cylinder from under the lip of the cab along with the pieces of plastic loom. Neither shop would claim responsibility.
Needless to say I had to repair it all, now it runs fine again.
My opinion, do it yourself! Yes it takes a long time to put the engine in and out but if you do it you know it will be right.
By the way I am just a little bitter....if you could not tell!
Old 11-27-2007, 12:03 AM

I just noticed West Coast, that you are in Reno. The shop that ruined my engine was Cummins on Glendale Ave in SParks and the accomplice was here in Elko.
Do yourself a favor and stay far away from them, I would not let them change an air filter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-27-2007, 12:06 AM

Dawg please PM me with more info on your issues with Reno Cummins.....

Thanks.....
Old 11-27-2007, 07:15 AM

I had Rocky mountain Cummins do my IP a couple of years ago and they did a fine job. If you don't want to go to them, try sierra diese injection on Mill st. Next to the grand Sierra resort. I have never had anything done by them but my next door neighbor likes them

Chris
Old 11-27-2007, 10:00 AM

I have also had good luck with Rocky Mountain and Sierra Diesel Injection. But 19 hours is just to much for a head change. Especially for a shop that only works on Cummins with certified technicians and all the right tools.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:13 AM

I changed mine by myself in alittle over 9 hrs. The book I used said the average time for a headgasket change was 10 hrs. This was also the first time i had ever changed a headgasket in a cummins too.
Old 11-27-2007, 02:02 PM

I sure hope you guys had the head decked...otherwise with any real mods like a timimg bump or too much boost your in for another head gasket purchase.
Old 11-27-2007, 02:03 PM

Oh yeah...I got quoted from Cummins NE about 12-13 hundred bucks for parts and labor, don't know if that included machining the head or not. If I had a garage I would do it myself, but since I don't and don't know anyone who does I kinda gotta take it somewhere.
Old 11-27-2007, 11:00 PM

Ok guys I started tonight doing the HG my self. I go all the injector lines off and am ready to pull the injectors. What is the proper way to get the injectors out? And I can not find my manual so can someone tell me some of the general things that need to come out so I can remove the head? Do I have to remove the entire fuel filter bracket or just unbolt and move to the side? Can the head come out with the exhaust manifold bolted to the head?

I can see everything on the passenger side that needs to come off. Is there anything that is not easily visible on the drive side under the intake that needs to be removed?

Thanks for any help with my HG replacement.

Dave
Old 11-27-2007, 11:08 PM

i just did mine. there is a sensor on the back driver side that needs unpluged. i didnt pull my injectors but was just carefull when i lifted the head off. i was doing a new timing case manifold and turbo. i would recoment unbolting the manifold and leave it there. take the one bolt out of the alternator and roll it back. i used the bracket that bolts to the head for something to grab on to. btw i pulled mine by myself take off your hood and use a chain fall or get some help because its heavy and akward. also pull the wipers and plastic cowl. there are some rubber plugs you can remove so that you can take the back pushrods and head bolts out. just set the fuel filter housing aside. also good time to change lp if its old. hope that helps
Old 11-27-2007, 11:13 PM

Thanks aksparkey....... I have screw in studs so that should make getting the bolts out a little easier.... So leave the exhaust manifold bolted to the turbo? Will it cause any issues installing the head later? I have already unbolted the fuel housing's top bolts. Are there any more bolts other the top ones? Thanks again for the help bro......

Dave
Old 11-27-2007, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by aksparkey01
i just did mine. there is a sensor on the back driver side that needs unpluged. i didnt pull my injectors but was just carefull when i lifted the head off. i was doing a new timing case manifold and turbo. i would recoment unbolting the manifold and leave it there. take the one bolt out of the alternator and roll it back. i used the bracket that bolts to the head for something to grab on to. btw i pulled mine by myself take off your hood and use a chain fall or get some help because its heavy and akward. also pull the wipers and plastic cowl. there are some rubber plugs you can remove so that you can take the back pushrods and head bolts out. just set the fuel filter housing aside. also good time to change lp if its old. hope that helps
good advice, but the injectors will need to be pulled in order for the head to get decked. when you get the head off use a vice grip on a nut that fits the threads on the top of the injector to get them out. The sensor is kinda of a pita to get at. I left the manifold on the head but already had a pulse manifold, so if you are not going to change it then i would leave it on. way eaiser to pull the turbo. I used a cherry picker to pull the head and left the hood on. A buddy is helpful for pulling the head and putting it back on. Also make sure and take all the bolts out of the wiring loom that runs in front of the head around the alternator.
Old 11-27-2007, 11:23 PM

I have the ATS manifold as well schaef. I thought about leaving the manifold bolted to the head to help with lifting as well. I also have a cherry picker so getting it out should be easy. What is the best way to pull the injectors out? And what is the procedure to setting the valves one I get the head back in?
Old 11-27-2007, 11:29 PM

I watied to pull the injectors until i got the head off and used a vise grip with a nut on the top of the injector. Wiggle it around allitle and pull hard and it will come out. I even left the manifold on while getting the head decked so it never had to come off. Valves are 10 intake 20 exhaust. Bar the motor over and wait till both valves become "loose" then adjust that set. All the valves were tight after getting the head decked.

Quick Reply: Head Gasket Change - Shop Price?!?!?