HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Battery blowing lid off

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2017, 07:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Battery blowing lid off

Left side battery blows lid off it charges hard for a minute and then it goes to it starts bleeding down in the battery but it pops up and then acts like it's dead but it has a hundred percent on the batterieswhat is my problem. I am about 35 miles from home what can I'do to get it home should I put the battery charger on it and try and start it
Old 12-09-2017, 08:28 PM
Banned

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts
What year truck do you have. I don't fully understand your problem from your description. How do you know it's 100 percent but acts dead? What is bleeding down in your battery?
Old 12-10-2017, 06:57 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
We need more info to understand the problem. How do know only the LH battery is charging hard? What are the voltages at the battery post of each battery with the engine off and then again with the engine on?

Please define what you mean by 100%. Did you do a load test on each individual battery?

When you say the battery blows the lid off, do you mean that it blows the caps off the top of the battery? How many caps on your battery and how many blow off? Does it blow and liquid out or just gas?

Keep us posted on the problem and the solution.
Old 12-10-2017, 08:36 PM

Battery blowing caps off

03 3500 quad cab 4x4 I changed the starter in it the next day acted like batteries were dead put 2new batteries in it started fine was letting it warm up moved it 50 feet out of my way and jump out of it and it blew the caps off of the right hand battery did want to mess with it so I unhooked the batteries and put balanced soda all over everything swashes it all off the next day I fill the battery with distilled water and hook Ed the batteries up and started it up watching the gauge 14+it charged then the cold start goes through it cycle then it goes from14 volts to 8 volts then the alternator kicks out warn light comes on and it blows the caps off of right hand bat is it charging problem or a direct short
Old 12-10-2017, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by deere country
What year truck do you have. I don't fully understand your problem from your description. How do you know it's 100 percent but acts dead? What is bleeding down in your battery?
i wrote a better description of the problem
Old 12-11-2017, 08:43 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Typically with situations like this you find a connection issue, inspect the connections on the cables VERY well, look for swelling of the cables indicating corrosion under the insulation, and make sure everything is clean and tight. What happens with a dual battery setup is one gets corrosion and charges differently, making the other charge harder.

Just about 99 percent sure this is what you will find based upon the years I have seen this discussed on here.......
Old 12-11-2017, 02:23 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
OK I believe you are calling the Passenger side bat tery the "right side" which is the one getting hot and blowing the caps off.

The charge comes out of the alter nator and into the passenger side batt ery it then crosses over to the drivers side via a cross over cable that routes over the top of the radiator. The syst em determines how weak the drivers side bat tery is via a temp sender under the battery, if that sender goes out or you get a bad connection between the batteries or ground it will over charge the passenger side batt ery causing it to overheat.

As Pat stated check out ALL the connections closely, many have found the cross over cable to be bad while others it was the connection on the alternator...or some the temp sender under the drivers side batt ery.