HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Fuel Gelled for the 2nd time

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 07:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Gelled for the 2nd time

Ok, guys my fueled gelled up for the 2nd time this year. The first time it gelled I wasn't using any fuel conditioner. After my fuel gelled up in December I bought some Lucas Cold Weather Fuel Treatment and guess what my fuel gelled up again. My truck was last driven on Monday evening 01/15/07. Does anyone have any tricks up their sleeves on how to get my fuel ungelled because it doesn't look like it is going to get warmer than 40 degrees here in Pa for the next ten days. I don't really have any garage tall enough to get my truck into either to warm up the fuel lines. Any tips would be greatly appreciated so I can stop driving a Ford F250 V10.....
Old 01-18-2007, 07:43 AM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Havent ever tried it with a truck, but my grandad used to throw a heavy tarp over the deisel tractor and set a couple cans of sterno undr it for a few hours.......havent had to try that with my tractor....yet
Old 01-18-2007, 07:50 AM

when we had our RV in cold climates, we used a hair dryer on lines that would freeze... i would think it would work the same with your fuel lines... i would question where you are getting your fuel... correct me if i wrong, but i thought #2 had additives to prevent gelling down to zero(?) especially in your neck of woods
Old 01-18-2007, 08:06 AM

Yeah, I had a feeling it might be the fuel company I am getting my fuel from. I guess I might try using a hair dryer or something to that effect to heat up the fuel lines.
Old 01-18-2007, 08:11 AM

I've used the tarp with a bullet kero heater trick.

I would refrain from the heat gun cause you can melt wires lines etc. if you are not carefull.

It's like thawing out a frozen garden hose.

If you can get it pushed or towed into a heated area works too.
Old 01-18-2007, 08:32 AM

Yeah, I think I am going pull my truck in the barn tonight and use the bullet heater trick tonight. I'll just will have to be very carefull with the heater since the barn is full of dry hay.
Old 01-18-2007, 08:42 AM

I run a little Stanadyne in every tank. I went through -35F yesterday with no problems. I would question my fuel supplier and probably change. Here in Colorado everything is pretty much blended for cold weather but it should be where you are at too. I would certainly use a winter fuel conditioner, maybe slip in a new fuel filter and plug her in. Should be no problem if you fuel is anywhere close to OK. Maybe check for codes doing the 3 key clicks. You might have a weak lift pump. I have heard of some bio-diesel problems in cold weather. Are you running any of that stuff?
Old 01-18-2007, 08:44 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I either missed it or you did not say if you changed out your filter if not do that or do it again.I would tarp or at least put a skirt around it and use the bullet heater it before I put it in the barn full of dry hay. That has newspaper headlines written all over it. Fill the filter holder with PS 911 The red bottle. This happened to me and these steps worked.
Old 01-18-2007, 08:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
don't blow up your barn...
just drive the gasser.

yea, powerservice 911 can be had at TSC, Napa, Etc.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:11 AM

Power service 911, the RED bottle. 2 quarts. One in the tank, one into the new fuel filter you are going to buy. Give it an hour or so and then fire it up. The 911 in the tank will liquify the fuel, and it will run and clear the lines with whats in the filter. Find another fuel supplier.

My Freightliner froze up on Friday night 15 miles from the house running #2 fuel. It was -30. The 911 degelled it.

#2 shouldn't gel at 40*F

Oh yeah, one more thing. A barn full of dry hay and straw will liqify everything if you use a bullet heater. Glass, plastic, fuel. DON'T DO IT!!!!!
Old 01-18-2007, 09:26 AM

My fuel filter was changed in December the first time the fuel gelled up. I think I'll also go to Wal-mart and try finding this 911 stuff everone is talking about. I don't think I will put a full quart in the fuel filter housing just because I don't want to harm the fuel pump.

As, far as the barn goes. It has a concrete floor and the hay is only in the lofts. I would be safe if the bullet heater is on the concret floor below the truck.
Old 01-18-2007, 10:27 AM

The floor may be concrete, the hay may be in the loft, you may not foresee any problems with heating your truck there. You're setting yourself up for more grief then you'll want to explain!!

It was o'le Dandy Don Meredith that said on Monday night football, "If if's and buts were candy and nuts... Oh what a Christmas this would be!"

Those may be your words if you're not careful about heating your truck in the barn. Getting your fuel system thawed out is important, but it's not urgent (you've got a backup), be sensible and safe.
Old 01-18-2007, 10:51 AM

Power Service 911 in the red bottle. And definately change the fuel filter and add some 911 in the new filter, I usually fill 1/2 full with 911 and then the rest fuel if the truck or equipment has gelled and stopped running. If it will run at all, you can try putting the 911 in the tank and it will work its way through.
Old 01-18-2007, 11:39 AM

Well, I think I'll just pull the fuel filter out and let it warm up in the garage and then add the power service 911 with the fuel filter and fuel.
Old 01-18-2007, 02:03 PM

The few times we get cold weather here, I'll put in a coupla gallons of kerosene along with the MFG recommend on Power Service white.

Quick Reply: Fuel Gelled for the 2nd time