HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

EGTs up 30 - 40 percent???

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 12:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EGTs up 30 - 40 percent???

Hey guys,

So over the last couple days I'm suddenly seeing my EGTs are running way higher for no apparent reason? I have an Edge Juice with Attitude monitor and always keep an eye on my temps so I know what's normal and what's not for any given power level.

On level 3 I'm hitting 1300 degrees at the drop of a hat which is not normal. Granted it's not that hard to hit normally but I'm hitting it way sooner than normal. I will usually keep my foot in it until around 1200 degrees then let off and the EGTs will continue climbing up another 100 degrees or so before sharply falling back down. I actually hit 1600 degrees earlier! Level 5 stabbed it and let off around 1250 only to see it sore higher than I've ever seen. I don't think prior to today I had ever been above 1450 degrees even...

I don't want to start a conversation about how I do or should drive my truck. I'm posting these numbers and details because they are out of the norm for my truck and the way I drive it and I'm hoping you can help.

Haven't changed anything or added any parts. Seems like there might be a slight power loss but unsure.

All and all seems to be running pretty normal with no check engine lights or symptoms.

Only things I can think or are bad or somehow shorted EGT probe giving faulty readings, blockage of intake somewhere, or blockage of exhaust system? If no one has anything that seems very logical then I'll probably pony up and get a new EGT probe to see if maybe that went bad.

'04.5 2500
Icebox Intake w/cool hose intake tubing
CFM+ Plenum
Edge Juice w/Attitude monitor (unlocked)
MBRP Cool Duels Exhaust with cat delete pipe
Turbo Silencer ring removed

Thanks in advance!

PS: No this problem isn't due to the weather being warmer the last couple days...
Old 05-18-2009, 12:55 PM

Location: Used to be missoula, montana: Now in Sonoma County California
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Are your boost levels in line with what they normally are or has the pressure dropped for x amount of fuel. i would start by looking for an intake leak torn intercooler boot ect. pressure check the system and the intercooler. do you have the plastic tankd intercooler? next check WG determine if its staying open.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:59 PM

Good call! Didn't necessarily think of those things. I'll have to take her for a drive at lunch and pay attention to boost levels. I don't typically log in my head where they are at and what's normal for Throttle Position vs. Power Setting.

May have to post figures and ask if normal I guess?

Keep the ideas coming though...
Old 05-18-2009, 01:13 PM

Location: Used to be missoula, montana: Now in Sonoma County California
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if you have a boost leak it will hit a level say 20 psi and it will be slow getting there and it will become even slower once it hits the pooint where the leak is just blowing out.

do you have an exhaust brake?
Old 05-18-2009, 01:14 PM

Nope, no exhaust break.
Old 05-21-2009, 11:27 AM

Still having issues!!!!!!!! I can barely get into the throttle and I'm seeing EGTs of 1250 or higher!

I've started paying attention to boost as recommended by "ddestruel" and at one point I was still able to produce 37psi of boost on my level 3 setting. So not thinking this problem is intake related / boost blow-out?

Due to high EGTs I would expect to see excessive smoke (more than normal on my level 3 setting) but I'm not seeing anything different than prior to this starting to happen? In general haven't really seen anything different as far as driveability or idling. Possible slight loss in power but hard to tell by seat of pants.

I'm at a loss at this point. My EGTs are climbing 40-50 percent faster than previous and once I let off throttle they seem to keep climbing for longer and higher than what I had been seeing normally.

Hell I don't know, bad gas? Was I drinking one night and throw in some unleaded (can't imagine that in my wildest dreams but sometimes I surprise my self with the stupid stuff I do when drinking)...

Any help and thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!!!
Old 05-21-2009, 12:32 PM

check your oil, is it growing? Just in case an injector or two going bad. injectors sticking open. just ideas.
Old 05-21-2009, 01:10 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
IAT or MAP drifting off?
Old 05-21-2009, 01:15 PM

I appreciate the feedback on this!

What really confuses me is that if it was stuck injector, bad MAP or IAT I would expect to see additional smoke to show me that there's too much fuel for the given volume of air which is causing my high EGT problem. I am not seeing this though.

GreyTD: What are you talking about in regards to the oil?

Thanks again!!!!
Old 05-21-2009, 01:49 PM

If an injector is leaking; cracked body for eg; diesel could get into your oil. Just something to check. High egt's usually means lots of fuel, no air. As mentioned try cleaning the MAP and IAT sensors. Clogged/bad nozzels on injectors will cause bad spray pattern inefficient burn. Do you run any injector cleaner?
Do a search for posts by sallyman1. He has an 04.5 with what seems to be the same issue. His motor ended up being replaced. Just some light reading.
Old 05-21-2009, 03:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
had that happen on my 03 had higher hp injectors then stock and was seeing higher egts but had a little more smoke then normal. come to find out the hotbox on my truck had allowed the injectors nozzles to become larger then normal and therefore where dumping more fuel . careful you mite drop a valve seat due to the high heat
Old 05-22-2009, 02:10 PM

UPDATE! Problem should be taken care of...

Read this post I made in a different section. https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...56#post2486556

If you have an older style Edge box you will want to pay attention!!!!!

Thanks to all who helped!