Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   HELP! (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/help-97/)
-   -   Can't get drums off (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/help-97/cant-get-drums-off-149206/)

sleepr tsi 05-02-2007 12:58 PM

Can't get drums off

I've got the star wheel backed all the way off (as in the shoe adjuster) and have squirted some lube on the hub and around the studs. I've dried yanking on it and pounding on the back of it with a hammer and using a pickle fork as contact. It spins freely and I can see the space between the drum and shoe what do I do?

I was going to try heating it but all I have is a small propane torch...plus I'm a little worried about the axle seals

sleepr tsi 05-02-2007 01:23 PM

Tried the "jam brakes on in reverse trick". Didn't work. Am I gonna have to rent a torch?

dodgezilla04 05-02-2007 01:33 PM

put the wheels back on. do not completely tighted the lug nuts. gently place the weight back on the ground. the weight of the truck should pop them loose.

johnh 05-02-2007 01:36 PM

go ahead and use your propane torch, it takes a little longer but it works.... don't worry about the seals ,they won't get hot enough to harm them.....i've done it a lot (i used to be a mechanic )[coffee]

XLR8R 05-02-2007 01:41 PM

When we do rear drums (especially if they haven't been serviced in a while), we back off the lug nuts a little bit before lifting the truck, and if wiggling it doesn't break them loose, we just roll a few feet or figure 8 the truck... usually saves the BFH or the torch! [coffee]

sleepr tsi 05-02-2007 01:53 PM

Alright, I'll give that a try,I'm pretty frustrated right now, I'll let you guys know how it runs out.

sleepr tsi 05-02-2007 02:28 PM

Tried all the above with no dice. The drums are in dire need of replacement. I think I'm stuck trying to rent/borrow a torch.

csutton7 05-02-2007 03:11 PM

well I'm embarrassed to say when I broke my axle and decided to change the whole rearend to an 80 I also had a bear of a time getting my drums off, but I finally got them---the brake shoes had worn a pretty good size groove in the drums--I never heard any squealing/grinding or anything that would tell me my shoes were toast and doing the damage they did--I was shocked---so it may be that you have the same problem where the shoes have grooved themselves in and you can't back them off far enuff----but then you do have the emergency brake released don't you???? ----good luck---chris

fschiola 05-02-2007 03:37 PM

Try one more thing before you rent a torch. Jack up both rear wheels and support it good. Take both rear wheels off and thread a lug nut a few threads on one stud on each side. Start the truck, put it gear, give it a little throttle and jam on the brakes. The lug nuts are to keep you from having to chase the drums down.

sleepr tsi 05-02-2007 03:38 PM

I do have the e-brake released. I'm trying to see if anyone in the area has a torch I can borrow, (no surprise) no body rents one.

sleepr tsi 05-02-2007 03:39 PM

fschiola, already tried. Let her get to about 30 MPH then jammed on the breaks. Did it a few times in drive and reverse

N_Tillett 05-02-2007 03:51 PM

I just went through this on my daughter's 1/2 ton 98 model - had to beat on the drums with a BFH until I thought for sure something was going to break but they finally popped loose! On the 1/2 ton they were almost an interference fit over the center of the axle. Probably the same with the drum on the hub of the 3/4T. Haven't been there on my '05 but I think it is disk on both ends! Good Luck!

Red3quarter 05-02-2007 06:59 PM

I've used an air hammer and "buzzed" the drum between the lugs a few times each and then smack it with a hammer. The drum usually comes off.

infidel 05-02-2007 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by fschiola (Post 1489589)
Try one more thing before you rent a torch. Jack up both rear wheels and support it good. Take both rear wheels off and thread a lug nut a few threads on one stud on each side. Start the truck, put it gear, give it a little throttle and jam on the brakes. The lug nuts are to keep you from having to chase the drums down.

This method has never failed me. Try it in forward and reverse. You may have to tighten the starwheel back up to get good braking to bust them loose.

Hairy1 05-02-2007 08:17 PM

Drums Off

A little heat around the flange won't hurt......then beat it between the studs with a big 'ol ball peen hammer........don't worry about the studs if you mess one up there easy to replace..........whack away[coffee]