Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   HELP! (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/help-97/)
-   -   Broke down in Novato, ca (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/help-97/broke-down-novato-ca-305833/)

barngal6 08-21-2012 08:26 PM

Broke down in Novato, ca

98 12v plug from star wheel cover is gone, oil all over and stranded. Nearby diesel shop said cover the hole, fill with oil and run it, ck oil. Repair shops closed. Hauling horses who will be towed separately. Could that much oil be lost thru the plug on the star wheel cover? Truck was running fine, not hot, routine stop and I noticed oil dripping from under truck, all on driver side in the bay, none on engine block

barngal6 08-21-2012 09:15 PM

I need the size of the plug for the statwheel housing

patdaly 08-22-2012 07:40 AM

Sorry, can't find the size, I would look for one of those cheap rubber expansion plugs that you tighten the center to expand, stuff it in, tighten up and roll. Failing that, a can of brake cleaner and some duct tape should get you home.

rebal 08-22-2012 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by patdaly (Post 3127283)
Sorry, can't find the size, I would look for one of those cheap rubber expansion plugs that you tighten the center to expand, stuff it in, tighten up and roll. Failing that, a can of brake cleaner and some duct tape should get you home.

you could find a pump shop later and get the plug but do what pat sail spay the oil off with brake cleaner and a few small strips of duct tape will get you home

barngal6 08-27-2012 01:30 AM

Thanks. you guys nailed it( of course). I had called a diesel shop in San Rafael and they gave me the same advice--cover the hole. I had limited access to the internet and wanted to confirm with members here that it was the right thing to do. Couldn't get a reply in time but I decided to try it.
Quick ending--it worked. Fit a plug in, added oil, truck runs fine.

Whole story:
Because I had the horses I didn't want to try this while towing and jeopardize the either the horses or the truck. so I arranged for a tow truck to deliver the horses and planned on coming back to get the truck later.

What happened was, the tow truck driver Mark was a "mechanic". He arrived at the truck before i got back from starbucks' (caffiene with internet access) and he was already in the engine bay. I told him what the diesel shop suggested. He checked with a couple guys who have my engine and an hour later confirmed that it was a plan.
We were mutually motivated. He didnt want to have to make the drive (and back) over a small rough hilly curvy road to the coast, and i wasnt anxious to have my horses towed on a very difficult road by a non horseman.
I didn't know about expansion plugs, ( nor did he) and he was dubious about covering the hole instead of plugging it.
Things went wonky when he started wrenching on the high pressure side of my engine. Said he was going to try to find a same size fitting since there was an oreilleys still open so we would know what part to pick up. Now its dark. I wasn't comfortable having him wrenching on things with a cheap *** set of wrenches, especially since when he couldnt get one fitting off he'd just try a different one. My impression was that he was trying to get something off of an injector line? Something about he could get them loose but couldn't yank it off due to the angle. I tried to say we don't need to do it this way. My friend kept dragging me away from the truck. ( I know the etiquette is don't Hang over the engine bay when a guy is trying to help some poor helpless woman, just get out of his way.) I started insisting we didnt have to approach it like this. Finally he got something off and "rats", it wasnt the same size.
So we headed to oreilly's.
He was looking for an sae oil plug. I found an expansion plug and metric oil plug. He installed the plug. Added 5 qts oil. Started up the truck and oil spraying all over like a fountain. Oops, he forgot to replace the high pressure fitting. Lost about 1.5 -2 qts all over him, the engine bay, truck, windshield including the radiator and trans cooler. Sidewalk looked like it rained oil ( so much for the friendly neighborhood who gave me Internet access, offered us dinner, etc.) he tightened things down, and i drove down the hill, topped off the oil again, drove to my destination. truck runs fine except that on just a few instances it smelled like I was burning my clutch or brakes-to be continued later. Poor guy was terribly embarrased. I know he tried to cleanup the oil on the sidewalk. He did get paid an I put extra in his pocket.

Now I need to get in there and see if there are any fittings stripped that should be replaced before I am in another pinch. Replace the actUal plug. And cleanup the oil which now doesn't only coat the underside of my engine , my trailer hitch and overspray the front of my horse trailer, but is also coating everything in the engine bay. I'll be posting in a regular forum for more advice about

Everything worked out, everybody was safe, and it never ceases to amaze me how people will go out of their way to help you--more people stopped to offer help in more ways than i can say. Despite everything, Mark got us on our way safely.
Hats off to you guys too. Patdaly you have helped me out on more than one occasion. And Rebal, yuba city? My dad grew up in marysville. I'm in rio linda. I'd love to buy you a beer someday. You too Patdaly if I ever get the chance.

rebal 08-27-2012 08:38 AM

Glad it worked out for you :)

BigIron70 08-31-2012 12:14 AM

If any oil got in the master cylinder you may want to suck all the brake fluid out and add clean. Doesn't take but a few drops of oil to wipe out the brake system. Ask me how I know this.