HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Broke Down For 2 Months And Putting Me In The Poorhouse

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 09:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i thought the ecm had to reprogramed using the trucks vin or motor 's serial number or at least thats what they had to do onmmy volvo dump truck with the L10 cummins in it
Old 03-15-2009, 10:49 PM

CUMMINS flashed the ecm for them( the one on the block) they just asked for the #'s on the data plate on the original ecm esn, s/n,p/n and there was a 4 rth #, otherwise the truck would have had to be towed to a dodge dealer for the flash

and yes breaking down there is a good thing if they can ever figure out the problem since half the engine was tore down and reassembled last week to make sure it wasn't mechanical
Old 03-16-2009, 08:26 AM

ugh makes me glad I never got a truck with all those electronics..
Old 03-16-2009, 02:47 PM

HMM WELL they think they figured out the problem, aparently the fuel gauge said, 1/4 tank and it was empty, the truck runs fine off a 5 gallon fuel can no shutoffs, so they dropped the tank it was empty and the pickup broke off in the tank when they tried removing the sendor so they are replacing the sendor and i am getting a draw straw to be installed while the tanks out I hope this is the end of this nitemare, I told them to check the tank pickup they never listened since my gauge said there was fuel pressure, so they just tore down half my engine for no reason i know the vp44 was bad I had no power and very little fuel at the lines that turned into no fuel, the ecm i know was bad since I could not communicate with it but this bad fuel sendor may have run the pump dri and killed the vp44 guess I won't ever know
Old 03-16-2009, 03:32 PM

well i hope this ends your run of problems
Old 03-16-2009, 04:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you did have mutable problems it can be harder to fix , but I have seen enough of those that I have come to do diagnostics with a few things in mind , the higher the price on parts & labor , the more tests I run [ some extras to confirm ] , also having enough experience a good tech should have a sense of what is going on , leading to the cheapest fix , also look for a shop the specializes , its a lot easier for them to have test parts around , or take back a misdiagnosed part .
Some times you do not know whats going on till its all done , like in this case , most all your issues may have been caused by the tank problem .
A good fix , not only replaces the parts that failed , but find why the failure & fix that also .
Old 03-16-2009, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by TOM R
HMM WELL they think they figured out the problem, aparently the fuel gauge said, 1/4 tank and it was empty, the truck runs fine off a 5 gallon fuel can no shutoffs, so they dropped the tank it was empty and the pickup broke off in the tank when they tried removing the sendor so they are replacing the sendor and i am getting a draw straw to be installed while the tanks out I hope this is the end of this nitemare, I told them to check the tank pickup they never listened since my gauge said there was fuel pressure, so they just tore down half my engine for no reason i know the vp44 was bad I had no power and very little fuel at the lines that turned into no fuel, the ecm i know was bad since I could not communicate with it but this bad fuel sendor may have run the pump dri and killed the vp44 guess I won't ever know
I hate to tell you this but i think you got robbed big time with all that has gone on. Did not seem like effective and correct trouble shooting and to many parts were just thrown at it.

I would suggest you find another shop if you need repairs in the future.
I really hope you now have many miles of trouble free driving.
Good luck.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:40 PM

well I did not know where to go, dealers around here are not big on diesels, I know where the dealer is for a ford diesel(and it ain't close) but not dodge so i went to a big truck shop for rigs and school busses etc., the cummins in our truck is a self contained package, i to hope this is it for a looong time
Old 03-16-2009, 10:49 PM

I think we all have been in this situation, we live and learn, keep studying but I think a good way to handle these things is a process of elimination from start to finish, so a person first of all has to understand is the processes of what is being or not being accomplished. It could have been worse.
Old 03-18-2009, 01:05 PM

Please read the codes, Clear them , see what happens again (what pops back up. Then post them for us.
Usually these things are simple pimple, But in the wrong hands they will throw parts and your $$ till if gets fixed
Go to Blue Chip web site , read there all he has to say (pretty informative )
If you are getting P1689..I can help you a lot as I went through the school of hard Knocks.
Pm me if you have (to get my attn. )
But basically I am finding the 1 st couple years loose power to the VP from PDC or ECM......There is a 25 cent fix for this
Old 03-18-2009, 02:17 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
So are you legally required to pay for all that crap when it ended up just being out of fuel??
Old 03-18-2009, 02:24 PM

WOW, that should have been ruled out long B4 all that...Esp when they have a known issue of optimist gauges !
Old 03-18-2009, 03:28 PM

well I stopped there today and he said the straw was supposed to show up ups today, also he is not replacing the gauge sendor since it is over $300 and works down to just below 1/4 tank I said no biggie I will just keep it over 1/2 all the time (I usualy do anyway) I asked about the bill and since I already payed for the inj and pump labor and parts, I will just owe for the ecm flash from cummins, draw straw, r&r on fuel tank, fuel and seals they replace when they tore down the front of the engine without calling me first since they thought they were chasing a bug in the engine/systm and it was something simple they overlooked, guess i will see when the truck is done, should have it back in the next few days (I hope)

thumper please pm me the cheap fix you know so I can file it away for future use thanks
Old 03-19-2009, 08:54 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Tom, the fuel sender unit is cheap and replaceable, full list is 63 bucks, and you can order for 47 at Mopar parts america , see below.

Part Number: 4897669AB List Price Core Price Your Price
$63.80 $0.00 $47.05
Electrical - Chassis electrical - Senders - Fuel gauge sending unit FUEL GAUGE SENDING UNIT, All Models, Gas Engine, All, 35 Gallon 2000 - 2002
Old 03-19-2009, 09:00 AM

i think he was orering the wrong sendor then probly got the price on the sendor with in tank pump included? oh well i can do this myself later,

thanks for the info and pricing, are the gas and diesel sendors different? your listing says gas engine

Quick Reply: Broke Down For 2 Months And Putting Me In The Poorhouse