HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Brake And ABS Lights On

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 06:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2whistlers
An '01 with rear drums???
Early 01 had brake drums

atch
Old 06-06-2007, 10:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OK, if the light's are coming on when you start the truck, I think you need to get the truck scanned at the dealer to find the problem. The scanner is proprietary and the dealer is the only place that I know of that can scan it for you. This way you will know whats causing the problem and can proceed with repairs.
Old 06-07-2007, 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by fschiola
OK, if the light's are coming on when you start the truck, I think you need to get the truck scanned at the dealer to find the problem. The scanner is proprietary and the dealer is the only place that I know of that can scan it for you. This way you will know whats causing the problem and can proceed with repairs.

all the lights come on when you turn the key
then all the lights go away....then the abs and brake lights come on and stay on before the truck is ever put in drive or the wheels start to move.

im thinking maybe a sensor. tomorrow i will clean the sensors and check the barrings like previously suggested
Old 06-07-2007, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by EverydayDiesel
....then the abs and brake lights come on and stay on before the truck is ever put in drive or the wheels start to move.
That's what I ment.
Old 06-09-2007, 09:43 AM

I had a similar problem with mine last month. At first the battery thing doesn't reset the computer. My problem was the wheel spped sensor on the rear axle. Its centered on top of the differential. I would just look for wires going to the differential. I will try to get some pictures for you later today.
Old 06-09-2007, 10:35 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
i think he said he already replaced the speed sensor on the diff.
yes the early 01's had drums. "early" you should update your sig if you have drums in the rear you have an 01 not an 01.5. just my .02.
Old 06-09-2007, 02:20 PM

I did replace the sensor on the back top center of the rear end.
I actually have 4 wheel disk brakes.

Im confused because I have replaced
1. the sensor on the rear end in the center
2. cleaned each abs wheel sensor on the front
3. replaced all the pads front and rear
4. replaced the rotors on the front (they were cracked)
5. reset the battery

im not real sure what it could be.
i did notice that my emergency brake does not click and it does work but it doesnt hold the truck if its parked on an incline. i doubt that has anything to do with the abs though.
Old 06-11-2007, 03:54 AM

is it possible that the e-brake cable not being tight could cause the ABS and brake lights to stay on?
Old 06-11-2007, 06:01 AM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
NO. The only reason an ABS light would be on, is something electrical. The fluid being low can cause it ( sensor in master cyl ) , also a bad brake switch can cause it too. Too many reasons to guess. You need to have it scanned.
Old 06-11-2007, 06:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by EverydayDiesel
this might be a dumb question but do you take the wheels off when you pressure wash them?
most of the time i dont.. but i have been known to do such a thing.. i mean i have to take my wheels of my truck just to clean them. if not my back is sore after one rim. and it take a day to do all 4
Old 06-11-2007, 08:00 PM

Your rear seals could leak a little bit on the shoes.It happened to me, my abs was working overtime because the rears wanted to skid every little stop.I changed the seals & shoes and it stopped without problems.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by vzdude
NO. The only reason an ABS light would be on, is something electrical. The fluid being low can cause it ( sensor in master cyl ) , also a bad brake switch can cause it too. Too many reasons to guess. You need to have it scanned.
is there something I can buy to read it instead of over paying at the dealership. Id much rather pay more for a reader and be able to read it with future problems.
Old 06-12-2007, 05:03 AM

The reader is proprietary. I don't know if any independent shops will have one or not. You could call around to find out, but it will probably run the same money for the scan as from the dealer.
Old 06-12-2007, 08:22 AM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Most good scan tools can read ABS codes. Snap-On, ect. should be able to do it. It does NOT have to be taken to the dealer though. Just make sure the shop you take it to has the capabilities first. Most will.
Old 06-12-2007, 08:59 AM

i did take it to autozone but they weren't able to extract any codes (same as with the key trick)

i guess ill have to call around and see who can do it.

Quick Reply: Brake And ABS Lights On