HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Also have power loss at cruising speed

Old 04-22-2005, 08:42 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I took my truck my the Cummins shop today to have a pressure test done on the air through the system. They found a small leak on one of my boots, just took tightening the hose clamp down. I haven't cruised out to the highway pulling a trailer yet so I don't know the final results but it sure did give it more torque. Rainin today and can't keep the wheels from breakin loose. Just somethin else to try.
Old 04-23-2005, 12:36 PM

I'm having a similar problem. My power comes back sometimes when I downshift of play with the pedal. It also throws a big puff of white smoke. I will try the APPS reset today. Mine also seems to do it more when My fuel tank is low(but not always). Does this sound familar to your problems???
Old 04-25-2005, 11:42 AM

muddybeast,

Changed the overflow valve this weekend. Problem is still there. Throwing a 0216 code- injection timing control circuit malfunction, fuel injection pump timing failure.

ASOLDANO, fyi, Mine also seems to happen more so when the tank is less than 3/4 full. I almost forgot about that.

What next guys??????????
Old 04-25-2005, 11:59 AM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by ocliffie
Mine also seems to happen more so when the tank is less than 3/4 full. I almost forgot about that.

What next guys??????????
That sounds like you're sucking air from your fuel pickup.
Once the fuel level gets below the hole, air gets sucked in.

phox
Old 04-26-2005, 10:31 AM

phox,

Are you saying that there may be a hole in the tube that goes down into the tank?

If so, sounds like an easy fix

this would explain a lot.

I can't believe the VP has been on it's death bed for over a month now and can be temporarily remedied by simply putting in the clutch and letting the RPM's idle down.

And then giving the air enough time to build up again??

I really like the truck but it's acting like an unruly step child right now
Old 04-30-2005, 05:08 PM

Has anyone looked into the fuel pickup?

ocliffie: Does your truck shoot white smoke out the exhaust ever??
Old 04-30-2005, 05:15 PM

No white smoke here

I,m going to check for leaks next. Rain all day today and no time to mess with it
Old 05-01-2005, 10:03 AM

ocliffie,

I feel your pain, mine has been acting up for over 8 months. Hard to believe that it is the VP causing the problem.

ASoldano.

I will see white smoke in first or second gear when problem acts up. But at higher speeds no smoke at all. Some days it goes forever and some days i get a good left leg workout. I will try and fill up today and keep a mental note if the problem occurs over 3/4 tank. Everyone keep on searching there has to be a fix out there somewhere.
Old 05-01-2005, 05:36 PM

I don't know, I have not done anything with it lately but its odd. I think mine may be heat related possibly, when it got real hot outside a couple weeks back it was horrible this past week its been really cold again and it has been less of a problem. This may be why we had no problem when we first bought it, it was winter then. Does anyone know of any heat related issues with the Cummins. Also if I jump in it without it warming up and just go I can sometimes get all the way home from work without a problem but if I let it warm up it seems to be worse.
Old 05-02-2005, 09:13 AM

The 0216 code is the death throe of the VP-44. Mine has been doing it for over 50K miles now. Mine seems to lose power moreso when it 1st warms up, then occasionally while you are driving it. You can let up off of the go pedal for a bit and it will pick right back up to normal power. You can also try turning the ignition key off and then back on while driving and it will take off like a scalded rabbit. I am beginning to think that it is an internal electrical issue with the VP. But as Phox said, it could be a possibility that the hose from the fuel pick-up has a small air leak in it which introduces cavitation to the lift and VP pumps. Good luck in your searches and let us know what you locate.

Gary
Old 05-03-2005, 11:15 AM

I only have 25,000 on the rebuilt VP. It was replaced at just under 100,000 and was covered by the Dodge brothers. Come to think of it, how much white smoke do you get. I don't notice any but my exhaust is cut off right at the muffler on the OEM exhaust

Also, mine acts up more often now but I,m also on the road for 80 miles a day....the under 3/4 full tank thing is becoming a thing of the past

And one more thing, doesn't act up until it is well into normal operating temp

I'm going to look at leaks in the fuel line hopefully this weekend

Gary, are you getting the VP death code also?
Old 05-03-2005, 10:56 PM

I talked to a guy who just recently sold his cummins( don't worry he just got a newer one) he said his was doing the same thing and it was the injections pump going out(or so he was told by a mechanic at a cummins 24hour truck stop). He just traded it in, since like ours it only acts up well into operating temperature and the dealership will never know till someone buys it(I know its harsh but they screw people every day). I am just going to hold out till it becomes very critical or I have the extra cash to just throw at a new IP. After exhausting all my resources and no one finding anything wrong its all I can think to do.
Old 05-04-2005, 11:06 AM

I'm still going to check for leaks....after that I guess i'm with you, save up for a VP44. I'v got to find my paperwork for this one since it was replaced 25K ago. I called around and the shops who rebuild/sell them give one year warrantee. I thinks mine is right around that.

I got to admit, I did consider trading it in and getting a newer quad cab. Mine is a regular cab but then reality hit, hey stupid you have a kid going to college in three months. That's one of the reasons I bought this truck...so it would last until (400,000 miles+) the kids were out of school
Old 05-06-2005, 08:35 PM
Banned

Just talked to another shop that told me to check the intake manifold pressure also, said that gaskets in the area of the grid heater sometimes crack or wear through and lose intake pressure. Creates the same symptoms. I haven't done this yet but that's my next project.
Old 05-14-2005, 02:18 PM

Well we have found the problem, We got our family mechanic and a solo diesel mechanic to get together yesterday and spent the day with the truck. After all day they finally got a code saying the VP-44 was going out. He then said he talked to the local cummins shop about it. They said it will gradually get worse and eventually get to the point where I will have to pull over and shut it down to let it cool off the pump. SO today I went ahead and ordered a new IP from USdieselparts.com . This is after the same cummins shop could not get it to trip a code but since that time it has become worse. Also after that point I found out something that really ate my ***. We contacted the dealership in the town where we bought the truck this winter and they pulled up the file. Shortly before we bought it they had it in there. They diagnosed the problem as a failing VP-44 the file also stated owner declined to make repair. The son of a ***** said it needed a fuel filter but that is it. The problem didn't arise till the air temperature increased and we bought it when it was very cold outside. So THAT sucks. BUT after this the truck should be fine, they also said he replaced the brakes.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Also have power loss at cruising speed