Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   HELP! (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/help-97/)
-   -   ABS not working (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/help-97/abs-not-working-259072/)

MoNStrRIg 12-10-2009 12:30 PM

ABS not working

I have a 99 2500, and my ABS light is on and the ABS does not work, I lightly press the brake and the brakes feel like locking up everytime, I did notice that I had a plastic hose that was snapped in half, it runs from the top of the engine compartment to underneath the left side battery compartment, is this my problem?

Hodge 12-10-2009 03:06 PM

Hmm... any chance you can get a photo of the broken hose and post it, or describe it in more detail? My 94 is having the same problem, and I have been going systematically through the brake system. At this point, I believe that I have a proportion valve that is misbehaving. I just need time to replace it and the rear wheel abs (both are on same bracket). These brake systems are complicated, so 1) if you can determine exactly what hose is broken and 2) you can determine if it is related to the brake system or not, then 3) you are closer to solving your problem. Either way, if the tube is broke, it needs to be fixed. Does it have any liquid coming out of it? What type of material does it seem to me made of/ soft or hard line? What does it run from and then to?
I'm sure that someone else will chime in, and hopefully someone with experience on a 99. I am not sure how much the two systems (a 99 and a 94) are similiar. If it is like the 94, I can be of help because I have been through mine. Also, because there is an ABS light on, you can get that read to see what triggered it.

harleybrad 12-11-2009 09:39 AM

have the same problem with my 99, but also the parking light is on...no codes are coming up O...I was told by a parts counter guy, that there is a rear axle sensor that could be out...I know what you mean about the locking up, try it on ice...later

Hodge 12-11-2009 04:14 PM

The sensor on the rear axle was the first thing I replaced, and now, almost a year later... I am still chasing it down. That sensor does give problems when it gets metal shavings stuck to it, but that isn't the "cure-all" for all these abs problems. It is better to get a real good understanding of your brake system, and then diagnose it. I have replaced a lot of stuff, but I am doing it myself, and with 175,000 miles, it is about time for some new parts. But, there is no sense in just throwing parts at it, hoping that one of them will take care of it.

Shovelhead 12-11-2009 04:20 PM

Check the wire harness that runs to the rear axle speed sensor.
Especially where it passes near the rear axle and the left side emergency brake cable.
Mine was chaffed all the way though to the copper conductor from rubbing on the e-brake cable and was causing an intermitant Brake & ABS light activation.

A little RTV, a slit piece of fuel line, a couple of cable ties....and no more light.