Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   HELP! (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/help-97/)
-   -   98 12v cant get the front timing pin to "lock" (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/help-97/98-12v-cant-get-front-timing-pin-lock-235556/)

Mikestowing 03-08-2009 06:53 PM

98 12v cant get the front timing pin to "lock"

Im trying to change the pump out on my 12v and i can get the edit pin to slide in on the gears. I think its plastic... maybe its broken?? i alined the pump timing mark and felt around to slide the pin in around that mark and i think i can feel it maybe go in 1/32 of a inch or less... shouldnt it slide in all the way? Im about to burn this truck to the ground[verymad][verymad][verymad]

wannadiesel 03-08-2009 06:58 PM

It is plastic. They get stuck, work it back and forth. If it's only moving 1/32, it's not broken.

What timing mark are you using?

NO1B4ME 03-08-2009 07:03 PM

first time I tried to do rockers had a hell of a time gittin the pin to align, I'm the original owner and that pin had never been messed with, turn slowly and try to pry on the pin with a large screwdriver/bar......if You are not the original owner or You do not know who has worked on the truck before, they may have "mushroomed" over the plastic pin.....only way then is to lift the valve cover and go for tdc....then go from there...PITA...peace

Mikestowing 03-08-2009 07:09 PM

i think its been broke off..... B.S!!!

wannadiesel 03-08-2009 07:15 PM

If it's broke you will be able to slide it back and forth about 1/4".

What timing mark are you using?

wannadiesel 03-08-2009 07:18 PM

Rather than fuss with it any further, why not just roll the engine over until you can lock the pump, then pull the pump? As long as you don't disturb the engine before you put the pump back, the timing will be right.

Do you know how to lock the pump? If not I'll be happy to 'splain. :)

Mikestowing 03-08-2009 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by wannadiesel (Post 2412917)
Rather than fuss with it any further, why not just roll the engine over until you can lock the pump, then pull the pump? As long as you don't disturb the engine before you put the pump back, the timing will be right.

Do you know how to lock the pump? If not I'll be happy to 'splain. :)

yes, Ill lock the pump... I cant beleve i never thought of that..[duhhh]
I guess in the heat of the moment it just takes a cool head to solve the problem. THANKS !

johnh 03-08-2009 07:59 PM

i think the pin is a convenience item anyway...... the dealer broke mine off when they did the injection pump recall.( 92 3/4 ton) after they replaced the pump they forgot to pull it out ............... it's a good thing it's plastic[laugh]

Mikestowing 03-08-2009 10:44 PM

well, I got the new pump on. thaks guys!

infidel 03-09-2009 09:45 AM

You say the front pin, I assume you mean the one on the side.
To make the side pin work you have to remove the pin and flip it around to lock.