HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

'96 Ram is dead 400' from my house.

Old 02-04-2007, 08:28 AM
JKM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If he had a shutoff solonoid problem , it would either start and then shut off as soon as the key was released to the "run" position, or it would not start at all.

It definetly sounds like air is being sucked into the fuel system somewhere, Good luck getting it fixed.
Old 02-04-2007, 11:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like the rubber fuel line(s) are cracked/dry-rotted and sucking air; the recent advent of ULSD probably didn't help the soft parts much either.
Old 02-04-2007, 12:21 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Could it be your fuel gauge has failed and your tank is empty when the needle says it isn't?
Old 02-04-2007, 04:43 PM

The shut off solenoid is working, checked that early on. I just filled up with fuel the night before so I know its full (yes it was with diesel ). The way the primer just pumped air has me real suspicious of the fuel lines. That night was also the coldest we have had at -48 w/ the windchill so I am suspecting the cold and vibrations got to the 162,000 miles fuel line(s). I will know for sure on Mon, will post with the diagnosis. It's out of my hands now, the tow truck picked it up early this morning.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:23 PM

my truck just stalled this morning when going from reverse to drive...the rpms just dropped...i had to restart it...this was after the rtuck was plugged in all night...i am just south of buffalo where they're having some seriouis weather problems yesterday and today....so i was thinking...what is ur idle set at?...maybe it needs a bump?
Old 02-06-2007, 09:51 PM

Just got word this afternoon from the shop. Lift Pump. They were going to put the "upgraded" stock pump in which goes in the tank but I put a stop to that. They are going with high volume on the frame rail. I should have it back tomorrow evening.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by a77ssii
Just got word this afternoon from the shop. Lift Pump. They were going to put the "upgraded" stock pump in which goes in the tank but I put a stop to that. They are going with high volume on the frame rail. I should have it back tomorrow evening.
Your 96 has a lift pump on the engine down below the fuel filter assembly (where the primer is). Sounds like they are talking about one of the later models with the electric pump. The lift pump on yours runs off the cam shaft and is much like a manual fuel pump from one of the old gassers. It is my opinion and the opinion of most here that you want to stay with a mechanical pump rather than an electric. Better straighten them out on that one. Don't think that it would do you much good to put one of those in.

Last edited by waldersha; 02-06-2007 at 10:10 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 02-06-2007, 10:31 PM

The said Dodge's new "fix" for it is a pump submerged in the fuel tank which I obviously don't want. Right now I don't have much time to try and argue with them about it, this is the last day I have my wife's Jeep. If I don't get the truck back tomorrow I will not be working so taking it elsewhere isn't an option. I will just have to see how it goes and worst case replace it come summer, no truck-no work-no money. In the mean time I'll try and find another mechanical before summer.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by a77ssii
The said Dodge's new "fix" for it is a pump submerged in the fuel tank which I obviously don't want. Right now I don't have much time to try and argue with them about it, this is the last day I have my wife's Jeep. If I don't get the truck back tomorrow I will not be working so taking it elsewhere isn't an option. I will just have to see how it goes and worst case replace it come summer, no truck-no work-no money. In the mean time I'll try and find another mechanical before summer.
Any parts house will have a mechanical NAPA, Advance, Auto Zone. They are about $150 and take a couple of hours to put in. The "fix" they are talking about is for the 24V trucks, not 12V like ours. I would be a little worried about them working on it if they don't know any better than that. If you were closer, I'd even help you put it in.

Not trying to tell you your business, just hate to see you spinning your wheels on something like this. Good luck.
Old 02-06-2007, 11:07 PM

I don't want to tell you what to do, but I would strongly think twice about letting them do this to your truck. First of all they think it is a 24 valve. They obviously don't know where the lift pump is, or if they do they will find a big surprise when they take it off. Second, even if they do put an electric pump in, if the mechanical lift pump was leaking air, the problem will still be there. Call them and tell them to get a 12 valve mechanical lift pump, what belongs on there. They should still be able to have it done by evening, as most parts should at least have a lift pump in their warehouse. Good Luck.
Old 02-06-2007, 11:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Oh man, I am really worried now! If they can't tell a mech LP from a 24v type, they are probably wrong about the cause of the problem! You may pay them for not fixing it. Air leak it is, I bet!
-P
Old 02-07-2007, 10:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TELL THEM TO REPLACE THE LINES AND AS HAS BEEN BEEN STATED REPLACE PUMP WITH A MECHANICAL LIFT PUMP ONLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This should cure your problem by doing both the lines and the pump i think the problem is a bad rubber line or the metal one has rusted threw where it runs along the inner frame behind the tank.

I WOULD ALSO WATCH THESE GUYS LIKE A HAWK BECAUSE IT DOES NOT SOUND LIKE THEY HAVE A CLUE WHAT THEY ARE DOING ON A CUMMINS DIESEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If they replace the pump and lines correctly you can show them how to purge the lines and then drive it home. To purge the system open the line at the injection pump or coming out of the filter housing and put a couple of pounds of air pressure(not more than 5-8)into the fuel tank filler (use a clean rag to seal) or you can use a broom stick,wood dowel,etc and prime by hand like you were. (if you let them do it they will likely just roll it with the starter and burn it out for you) when you have fuel at the injection pump close the line and then open injector lines 1,3,5 and crank it (20 seconds at a time and rest it 2-3 minuets) over until it is pushing out good fuel. Close injector lines get in and start it with the pedal to the floor and then keep it down only enough to keep it running until it straightens out it will run ruff at first. If you show them this be sure to BILL THEM FOR THE EDUCATION Good luck
Old 02-07-2007, 09:31 PM

Update. The "tech" finally figured out it does have a mechanical pump after I told him about 5 times. I also told them what had been posted here in regards to the fuel lines. He ordered a mechanical pump from NAPA and said the truck would be done tonight, no call and the shop is closed. Needless to say I am really PO'd. I am calling them in the morning to see if repairing a 12V is beyond their abilities, if it is I will take it to a bigger reputable shop in Denver. Everything you guys posted is logical and I have relayed to them but they aren't listening. I guess if it doesn't have a computer they can just plug into they're lost. What they aren't thinking about is the area I live in is a very small community and word travels fast so if it isn't done right by tomorrow night word will be out. Oh, and even after he realized it was a mechanical pump he still tried to talk me into putting an Air Dog pump into it!! Can anyone out there say idiot?
Old 02-07-2007, 10:40 PM

Some people just have no right to touch a diesel. It is one thing to feel your way around them, as there is nothing special to them as long as you do your research. Guys like this just dive in and don't think about what they're doing... Glad to hear it finally is getting the right lift pump on it, but if he doesn't replace the lines and that is the issue he's gonna look like a real idiot. Good Luck to you sir.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get Out While You Can

I see this kind of stuff all the time i think the best thing you can do at this point is to get out of there and cut your losses. Beg, borrow, or rent a warm building for a day or two get your truck in there and pick up some hose,clamps and the pump we will walk you through this repair. This place could really make a mess of your truck and be very costly. I live in a very small rural area also and fix other peoples messes all the time and word does get around but these kind of guys seem to find enough people to stay in business don't ask me how.

There was a member on here a little while back that got into a similar situation as this and it ended up with 3-4 trips back and forth cost him well over 3k still not right they really messed it up he ended up taking the truck to cummins documenting everything and last i read had a lawer and was going to court.

GOOD LUCK let us know how it goes

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '96 Ram is dead 400' from my house.