HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

20 F outside no start.

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 10:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
longbed,
I went to an authorized Cummins shop, not a Dodge dealer - was quite reasonable compared to what kencan2 said the transfer pump and injector cost him.
kencan2 was your repair under warranty? If so, you might have them check the high pressure pump.
Mine is supposed to be finished on Thursday or Friday. Will let you know how this works out.
Old 02-20-2007, 11:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Though sulfur in diesel fuel does not act as a lubricant in the injection pumps, the recent phase-in of ULSD can shorten the lifespan of fuel-lubricated injection system components - due to the (sulfur-reduction process induced) lower aromatic content of the new fuel, which is supposed to have a lubricant package blended in before it's pumped into your tank.

It's cheap insurance to add PowerService or it's equivalent at every fill-up to keep the shiny parts happy.

There has been significant anecdotal evidence to suggest that the reduction in diesel's sulfur content can cause swelling in some of the fuel system's soft parts, such as o-rings and gaskets - leading to a rash of pump failures, for instance - much as the switch from #2 to LSD did back in the 90's.
Old 02-21-2007, 12:34 PM

Not being a chemist I don't know what the lubrication properties of diesel are(maybe someone could tackle that one). I don't see how sulfur could be a lubricant, but I guess in combination with other elements anything is possible. It may just be, as is suggested above that the process of removing the sulfur that changes the lubrication properties of the fuel. This much is evident in my case, that the new fuel is not too friendly to high mileage high pressure pumps, even if a lubricant has been reintroduced. This fuel may just speed up the inevitable, pumps always fail given enough time.
Longbed was using an additive and it sounds like his pump is on the way out. So, it may be more about miles and their effect on basic pump design than anything.
Old 02-22-2007, 04:55 PM

I didn't have any problems till I did the last oil change. I use to use Valvoline Turbo Blue 5w-30. With this last change I went to Amsoil 15w-30 Marine per thier suggestion. Now if it's not plugged in even at 30 degrees F. It has taken several trys. Could the different oil make the engine crank slower and not start? I was worried about this when I changed.
Old 02-22-2007, 11:13 PM

I am not familiar with Amsoil 15W-30 Marine. Is it full synthetic? But from what I have seen, yes, typically a non-synthetic heavier weight oil would make it turn over slower and it could start harder a little harder, especially if the batteries were a little weak. But then, if you read this thread that is exactly the way my 04 started acting when the high pressure pump was going out. It just kept getting harder and harder to start. It was progressive, a little harder to start each day. Let's hope it is the oil. What made you switch to a heavier oil in the winter?
(At least it is still winter here in Wyoming. Let it snow! 100 inches at Cooke City. That is a good number if a guy can get the truck back from the shop to pull the snowmobiles up there.)
Old 02-23-2007, 08:38 PM

Have you gotten the truck back Carp? I really want to know if it is the same now as last year for cold starts.
Old 02-23-2007, 10:59 PM

No, the truck is not back. I am looking at a much larger bill. They tell me there are multiple injectors out too. Next week before it is done. I am beginning to think that my old Ford wasn't so bad.
Old 02-25-2007, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by CarpUnlimited
I am not familiar with Amsoil 15W-30 Marine. Is it full synthetic? But from what I have seen, yes, typically a non-synthetic heavier weight oil would make it turn over slower and it could start harder a little harder, especially if the batteries were a little weak. But then, if you read this thread that is exactly the way my 04 started acting when the high pressure pump was going out. It just kept getting harder and harder to start. It was progressive, a little harder to start each day. Let's hope it is the oil. What made you switch to a heavier oil in the winter?
(At least it is still winter here in Wyoming. Let it snow! 100 inches at Cooke City. That is a good number if a guy can get the truck back from the shop to pull the snowmobiles up there.)
Yeah, it is full synthetic. I really didn't want to but it was oil chage time and the Amsoil Guys said this was the oil for my truck. I hope it will get warmer soon and the thicker oil will be better for the truck. I usually plug it in anyway just so the truck heats up faster. I guess I will remember this for next winter. Lesson learned.

Jonny Two Guns
Old 02-27-2007, 08:20 PM

Longbed,
I brought the truck home from the shop today. Cost a small fortune but it starts and runs. I think I will have to sell it to pay the bill.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:30 PM

What did they change? Detailed parts used list. Maybe time to sell in the hot summer months. Sounds expensive . I love my truck but im not into thousands of dollars in repairs. I bought this truck for longevity not to break the bank!
Old 02-28-2007, 11:09 PM

We started with the high pressure pump. $1700 for the pump, installation and diagnostics. Then it still would not run. There was not fuel rail pressure building because the injectors had failed. We replaced them at $380 a pop, plus installation.
I believe these new high pressure systems are not about longevity, they are about power, and the price for power is that they are more fragile.
It seems to me that it was one tank of bad fuel that I picked up in a neighboring town that started all of this. But if I can only buy fuel at home, what kind of a truck is that?
Old 03-01-2007, 10:03 PM

$4000 to fix the truck thats crazy!!!!! Truck will start in any temp now like it did last year? All 6 injectors at one time that sounds desperate. No start after 1700 spent i would have been very upset.Is there any warranty on the work? My truck runs perfect when it starts . No fuel mileage drop off. Full power no smoke. I still cant believe all of the fuel system is bad. Just needs to be warm to start!
Old 03-01-2007, 10:13 PM

Well, it starts in any weather now.
They said the injector pump was probably low lubrication and age. Injector damage was probably caused by water in the fuel. But I never had any indicators.
You may not have the injector damage. Mine was making some odd noises under load and it was getting to the point that it woud not start very well even when plugged in overnight. The last time I got it started and drove it to the shop, I knew that was the last time it would start, and sure enough they never could get it started so they could hook up their diagnostics. After they replaced the pump it would fire but not run.
I wasn't kidding, I think I will have to sell it just to pay the bill.
Old 03-03-2007, 08:50 PM

Longbed,
What are you going to do with your truck?
Old 03-05-2007, 05:36 PM

I just went thru the same thing on my 03 Carp. 6 new injectors fixed it. They should have tested your injectors before they installed a new injection pump tho... Or did I miss something?

Quick Reply: 20 F outside no start.