HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

1999 Dodge Ram

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2002, 02:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 Dodge Ram

I need help! Within about the first 2 miles of driving, the truck started bouncing abd bucking, like I had two flat front tires. Got the truck under control, and stopped...no flats. Turned the truck around and headed home but it acted like the brakes were on...had to really give it the pedal to move. And by the time I got back the front brakes were stinking hot! Within about 20 minutes the brakes were cool, and they seem to have released. Drove it for 2 days with no problem. Today it happened again! Scared the hell out of me. Of course the truck is one month out of warranty. Dealer suggested bleeding off pressure to master cylinder... What do I do now?
Old 11-14-2002, 03:00 PM
RCW

Re:1999 Dodge Ram

<br>If you have RWAL only, have the brake shop do a reverse purge of your fluid from the front and rear systems, and verify that the combination valve, mounted near the master cylinder, is not locking or have something sticking the floating piston.<br><br>What you describe is common after do-it-yourself brake shoe/pad changes, or from fluid that is over four years old. It is most commonly attributed to the combination valve being moved too far rearward when the front calipers are compressed when new pads are installed. If that happens, the front system needs to be bled and the valve balanced so it feeds both front and rear systems.<br><br>It would be a good idea to have the RWAL codes read before anyone goes charging off in too many directions. If you have ABS, have that unit scanned with the DRBII scanner before you do anything too drastic.<br><br>
Old 11-15-2002, 03:48 PM

Re:1999 Dodge Ram

[quote author=Serene link=board=13;threadid=6996;start=0#66338 date=1037218814]<br>I need help! Within about the first 2 miles of driving, the truck started bouncing abd bucking, like I had two flat front tires. Got the truck under control, and stopped...no flats. Turned the truck around and headed home but it acted like the brakes were on...had to really give it the pedal to move. And by the time I got back the front brakes were stinking hot! Within about 20 minutes the brakes were cool, and they seem to have released. Drove it for 2 days with no problem. Today it happened again! Scared the hell out of me. Of course the truck is one month out of warranty. Dealer suggested bleeding off pressure to master cylinder... What do I do now?<br>[/quote]