General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Wiring harness

Old 08-06-2016, 11:46 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 151 Likes on 117 Posts
Wiring harness

Need to build a new wiring harness for my truck. This is an add-on, not Dodge. Where can I purchase a multi pin plug, male and female 6 - 8 pins, for small gauge wire? What is the correct terminology for that kind of plug and the pins? Also will need the tool that crimps the wires to the pins. What is the name for that tool? Also the tool that can remove individual pins after installation.

My alternate plan is to go to a wrecker and find a vehicle with a similar plug and just cut off a foot or two of wire either side of the plug and splice the wires in.
Old 08-06-2016, 05:50 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Check out http://www.bodenzord.com/archives/579

He does a really good write up for a bussman fuse box, however, the wiring side of it can be adapted for anything.

You'll want metric metri-pack or weather-pack connectors. I used both when I did the factory auxiliary switch bank project on my truck.

He details everything you need, however, I learned a lot from this project and have all the tools if you need help with anything.

Buy the connectors from mouser.com - cheapest place I could find and can be ordered in exact quantities.

Find the thread I did for the switch bank, it lists the vendors I used for everything.
Old 08-06-2016, 06:21 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 151 Likes on 117 Posts
Thumbs up

Perfect!!! This is exactly what I wanted. Will do a bit more research on this, but at a quick glance it looks like I will be using the Molex Mini-fit connectors. They do not need to be waterproof as they will be going behind the dash.

Thanks a lot for this excellent and helpful post.

I already have an extra fuse box and used the Painless wiring waterproof box for the general stuff. For the heavy duty stuff that required a long run to two compressors running in parallel at the back of my truck, have already used 1/0 cable with a monster fuse right next to the battery. OK, that diameter may be a tad overkill, but I did not want to have much of a voltage drop at full load.
Old 08-07-2016, 09:01 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I'm glad you got the info you needed!

I think 1/0 cable is a good choice...prevents additional runs if you end up adding more accessories.