General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Why I change my own oil

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 06:48 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Why I change my own oil

Friend of my brother's takes 2nd Gen CTD 2wd dually manual trans in for an oil change. For whatever reason, guy under hood says to other guy "start-er up". Other guy tries key, no start. Thinks, "oh, maybe it's got a clutch over-ride", sticks right foot in through door and depresses clutch while starting. Engine starts. Removes foot from clutch. Truck is in first gear. Truck mows down guy under hood (don't think he got hurt though), goes through hoist in adjoining bay. Knocks car off of hoist, car lands in bed. Truck blows through shop door with car in bed. Somebody eventually chases truck down and stops in the parking lot.

My brother was standing there when his friend's cell phone rings. It's the oil change shop. "Sir, come get your truck. There is something wrong with it. It started all by itself and tore our shop all to pieces".

Of course, all this was done at 900rpms. Gotta' love that Cummins torque!
Old 12-27-2009, 06:53 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Oh, man, I would have lost my marbles. I'm getting mad just reading this!
Old 12-27-2009, 06:56 PM
Pickin on the wrong admin...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would never,never allow anyone to change my oil.......Never..
Old 12-27-2009, 07:04 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Looking at the picture, I thought is was one of those Carma-Sutra positions.

I just finished changing the oil in all 3 of our vehicles.
I spent less to do all three, than one of those shops would charge just to do the Cummins.
It took longer to get the engine temp up prior to changing than actually DOING the change.

I heard too many horror stories from Lube Shops of stripped drain plugs, double oil filter gaskets (didn't check to make sure the old one came off), "forgetting" to put oil back in the engine before firing it up, and even worse..... Drain plugs that fall out on the way home.
Old 12-27-2009, 07:37 PM

That is just I can't believe a car landed in the box. Lucky no one got killed!!
Old 12-28-2009, 12:12 AM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Shovel, that would be THE camry-sutra in this case. Potential for injury is greater than most.

Good no one got hurt... yet.

Yeah, I don't let anyone touch my junk either.
Old 12-28-2009, 03:28 AM
I watch wind blow...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
call me ridiculous but I would not mind this at all.

truck looks like it could be totaled = big check from the lube shop to buy newer truck...

sure I like mine and all but if it gets smashed on some one else dime.. no biggie in my book.

But it is a bummer of a story. I stand next to the fellas when there changing my oil. go down in the pit and inspect the underside and all that. watch them fill the oil. then I get in to start it up. I don't like oil on the inside of my truck from there never clean enough hands.
Old 12-28-2009, 04:12 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Wow that is crazy, lucky the truck make it under the hoist without tearing off the fenders as the car fell on it.

It was probably like going in slow motion, I like the skid marks leaving the service bay, and I bet they weren’t the only ones.

A friend took her car to Jiffy Lube to have an oil change, she was driving home and the engine died and could not get it to even turn over.

Found out Jiffy Lube not only didn't replace the oil filter but they refilled the crankcase with 5 quarts of dirty SOLVENT.

OOPS they claimed someone pumped it from the wrong barrel, the engine was clean though.

Jiffy Lube is so bad they even have a websites full of horror stories on the Internet.

http://www.jiffylubeproblems.com/
Old 12-28-2009, 06:45 AM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
I took my newly purchased '98.5 into a quick lube place here. They were going to refill with 15 qts of 15-40. I told them 11 qts. The insisted until I broke out the owner's manual showing him 11 qts was required. I've changed it myself ever since.
Old 12-28-2009, 07:16 AM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Truck started all by itself. Hahahahaha, got to love the excuses. I hope he makes out ok.
Old 12-28-2009, 09:47 AM

Thumbs down That's Just Wrong!

The only time anybody but me touches my truck is during the yearly state inspection...

And I cringe even thinking about it, but I set Smarty level to about 5...

Just enough for them to move it from point A to point B, the dang thing barely even moves!

I'm waiting for someone to ask me what is wrong with my truck one of these days.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:33 AM

Received 414 Likes on 316 Posts
That is why I stand there and watch. I know the owner of the jippy lube I use, we have an understanding.
Old 12-28-2009, 11:02 AM

I was overdue for my trucks first inspection and my normal inspection station was closed so I took it to another location. The girl that did the inspections said that she would have to drive it in. I had just purchased the truck so I was somewhat resistant. She was extremely giddy about the chance to drive my truck. I had pulled into a parking space that required her to back the truck up. I have the NV5600 which requires a special little double throw to get the shifter over to put it up into reverse. She kept putting it into 5th and the truck would creap forward a little everytime she started to let the clutch out. After about four tries, she said that there was something wrong with my truck and I would have to get it fixed before she could inspect it. I simply said "The truck is new and there isn't anything wrong with it, you just don't know how to get it into reverse!" She got mad but went ahead and let me drive it in. She went over everything with a fine tooth comb. She checked the power steering fluid, engine oil, jacked up all four corners and checked the wheels and brakes. She even yanked on the front and rear drive shafts! She tried to find anything to make it fail! She finally said everything looks good and placed the sticker on my windsheild. She then had the gall to say that she had to drive it out! I said absolutely not! Our transaction was complete. I had my sticker, she had my money so goodbye! She started to insist and I told her to get the manager. She walked away and one of the shop mechanics went over and opened the door while saying that she was mental. I thanked him and left. Never been back there!
Old 12-28-2009, 02:54 PM

I've heard too many stories, and know 1 person myself that had a car killed by them, or their actions.
Old 12-28-2009, 03:01 PM

The LAST time I took my truck in for an oil change i got a free oil filter wrench. The guys nicely left it on my fan shroud where i would find it. They also let me lube my own chassis, and put my own oil cap on later that day. With all this training as well as the supplied tools, I now change my own oil.

Quick Reply: Why I change my own oil