General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Why I change my own oil

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 03:13 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My girlfriend bought a brand new Toyota. I thought it would be nice to change the oil real early and give it a nice start in life. A few miles later the filter blew off and all the oil was gone in seconds. We figured out it was the wrong threads on the filter and for another kind of car.

This leads to all kinds of problems. I did not want to take it back to them, but I wanted to get it checked out for problems. Plus I needed some proof that we were not trying to scam them.

Documenting what happened, paying for the analysis, getting it towed and fixed (no damage to the engine, apparantly), etc, was a hassle and an expense that I didn't like.

It's not just the quick lube kind of places either, but dealers too. I had a big flap with a VW dealer about putting the wrong oil in my Passat TDI, trying to overcharge me for it and telling me they were not responsible for any damage as a result of their mistake because they did not see many diesels and could not be expected to know they needed special oil. Talk about maddening and lame!
Old 12-28-2009, 03:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know some good shops and very capable folks, but nobody takes care of my stuff like I do- that is a human trait. So, I prefer to do everything that I can.
Old 12-28-2009, 04:12 PM

WOW! my service manager had a good laught when he saw this.

the guy in front is very lucky to be alive!! there are alot of horror stories out there regarding quick lube places. do a google search its a great laugh.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by megacabdad
The only time anybody but me touches my truck is during the yearly state inspection...
One of the things I HATE about living in PA, once a year another man puts his hands under my girls' hood, and theres not a edit thing I can do about it.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:31 AM

It all boils down to customer service and them knowing whether or not you care or are paying attention. I've never changed my own oil for the last 100k miles on my truck and never had an issue. I always remind them of the little things, and have never had an issue. Always go the same place so now when I show up they say "we know, 11qts, and check the tire pressues AFTER we rotate them".
Old 12-29-2009, 01:07 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
Long story short...I bought a brand new GMC 2500 in 02. 6.0 litre gas Vortec. Ran real good. First dealer oil change I get it and drive it for about a month and check the oil on a whim. Quart low. Take it in and say its a quart low. The shop guy says its normal to use a quart between changes on a brand new "motor". I take a few deep breath's and tell them to drain it and refill it. He tells me its only been about 1000 miles and doesn't need a change. I say do it anyway. They do and I recieve my truck and take it home,let it sit for an hour and check the oil...quart low. Now I am not sure if I should be mad or understanding. I take it back in and ask how much oil a 6.0 takes, he says 6 qts. I ask how much went in two hours ago, he says 6 qts., our techs are factory trained.
Deep breath....Then it has already used a qt in 3 miles, I want a new engine.
He reluctantly agrees with me that the FT tech probably filled the crankcase to the full mark on the stick and didn't realize the filter would take a qt after start up, and by the way he may not have known that the 6.0 took 6 qts. not 5 like the 5.7's. I suggest the tech get back in school.
If I had been paying for these oil changes out of pocket I would've sued them. The receipts say 6 qts went in. My new engine burns a qt every 1K miles, neat.
Needless to say I took it to another GM dealer out of town for its first three years of oil changes, but sold her off after just two years for my Dodge, who NOBODY else drives or works on but me or somebody I know.

Kurt
Old 12-29-2009, 01:57 PM

Wow, unbelievble but believble at the same time, I glad no one was hurt..
I'm very fortunate to have a good friend who works at a nice shop but also has a 40'x60' shop at home complete w/ oilburner for heat, 9K lift, all the tools you could ever need (or access from the shop he works at) plus big screen, darts, foo's ball ect. Anyway, this guys the bomb, he checks my truck bumper to bumper and I walk it with him. I useally give him more $ than he ask's for (less than a shop) He likes the oil for his burner and I like knowing it's Always done right. He said we may have set a record bringing down a 8K# plus truck on his lift. (Safely and no prob)
Old 12-29-2009, 02:51 PM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Are these Quickie Lube places refilling your crankcase using Diesel Rated oil like Rotella or Delo or just an automotive rated like Pennzoil?

Most of the auto parts I go to don't even know it exist, that is why I get my oil and filters from a Heavy Truck Parts.
Jim
Old 12-29-2009, 04:12 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim Lane
Are these Quickie Lube places refilling your crankcase using Diesel Rated oil like Rotella or Delo or just an automotive rated like Pennzoil?

Most of the auto parts I go to don't even know it exist, that is why I get my oil and filters from a Heavy Truck Parts.
Jim
Took my wife's car into Jiffy Lube for a state inspection (they're quick and don't sell tires, brakes, pitman arms, etc. so what they gonna' get you for?).

A nice gal pulled up behind me in a near-new 1-ton dually Mega Cab. I asked her the same thing: "Uh...does Jiffy Lube know your truck takes 15w-40 oil for diesel trucks?". She said "Oh- my husband insists on synthetic". I said, "yeah, but you can't just put any synthetic in these trucks and I don't see a dispenser over there on the wall for 15w-40". She said "Yes, but we only use synthetic". At this point I realized the conversation wasn't going anywhere so I nodded and walked away.
Old 12-29-2009, 06:58 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by SOhappy
Took my wife's car into Jiffy Lube for a state inspection (they're quick and don't sell tires, brakes, pitman arms, etc. so what they gonna' get you for?)
My brother in law took my Mom's 86 Aries (at the time less than 25,000 miles) for a state inspection on day when I wasn't around.
( I ALWAYS take all my vehicles to the same guy,.... he took it to a local inspection station)
He came back with a Rejection Sticker..... for 'motor mounts"
I drove over and took it back up to the station and spoke with the inspector.
I told him to prove to me that the motor mount was bad.
He put it up on a rack, started the engine, dropped it in drive, then slammed it into reverse.
As the engine violently rocked back, he said "See it's bad or it wouldn't move like that."
I told him he was a moron (in so many words) , and if he didn't scrape the Reject sticker off and pass it, I'd call the State Police barracks (about two blocks down the road) and have them pull his Inspector Permit.
It passed.

They WILL try to find something to gig you for........ some are more creative than others..... then some are just crooks.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:36 PM
Pickin on the wrong admin...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What a idiot...Could of blown the transmission apart..
Old 12-29-2009, 07:46 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
After watching him do it, I had a new appreciation for the tough little Dodge Auto tranny.....
I was when I saw him do it.
Thank Goodness he wasn't 'reving' it when he shifted.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:58 PM

hate to get off subject, but, some of you have to have your vehicles safety inspected each year?
Old 12-30-2009, 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by SIXSLUG
Long story short...I bought a brand new GMC 2500 in 02. 6.0 litre gas Vortec. Ran real good. First dealer oil change I get it and drive it for about a month and check the oil on a whim. Quart low. Take it in and say its a quart low. The shop guy says its normal to use a quart between changes on a brand new "motor". I take a few deep breath's and tell them to drain it and refill it. He tells me its only been about 1000 miles and doesn't need a change. I say do it anyway. They do and I recieve my truck and take it home,let it sit for an hour and check the oil...quart low. Now I am not sure if I should be mad or understanding. I take it back in and ask how much oil a 6.0 takes, he says 6 qts. I ask how much went in two hours ago, he says 6 qts., our techs are factory trained.
Deep breath....Then it has already used a qt in 3 miles, I want a new engine.
He reluctantly agrees with me that the FT tech probably filled the crankcase to the full mark on the stick and didn't realize the filter would take a qt after start up, and by the way he may not have known that the 6.0 took 6 qts. not 5 like the 5.7's. I suggest the tech get back in school.
If I had been paying for these oil changes out of pocket I would've sued them. The receipts say 6 qts went in. My new engine burns a qt every 1K miles, neat.
Needless to say I took it to another GM dealer out of town for its first three years of oil changes, but sold her off after just two years for my Dodge, who NOBODY else drives or works on but me or somebody I know.

Kurt
I worked on a GM lube rack right about that time, if the truck had a 6.0 in it you could almost guarantee it was going to be 1 qt low before you dropped the oil. Didn't matter the miles or the use, those motors use oil and GM will do whatever they need to to sell you something to "fix" it.
DS79
Old 12-30-2009, 07:43 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Gregg#628
hate to get off subject, but, some of you have to have your vehicles safety inspected each year?
In Texas diesel pickups get a yearly safety inspection, just like motorcycles. No emission testing (yet). Gassers get the safety/emission test.

MikeyB

Quick Reply: Why I change my own oil