General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Why do you own your Dodge diesel truck?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 10:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I researched the Chevy, Dodge and Ford diesel offerings for months and the Dodge showed itself to be an anvil of a drivetrain stuffed into an elemental, no-frills working truck. That I can get 21MPG in a truck with the aerodynamics of a block wall is just the icing on the ugliest cake in the bakery.

I would buy the same truck again in a heartbeat. The only improvement I could ask for is "gimme a straight axle"! And a six speed...
Old 06-23-2009, 01:11 PM

I bought Dodge. Its a bonus it comes with a Cummins. Ill never waste money on anything Ford. I will in a couple years buy a GMC Duramax, just to play with. The trucks a pile, but the engine has gotten enough respect that Id like to play with one. But Ill never not have my Dodges sitting at my house.

Dodge has the best truck out there, hands down. Everyone whines about the frontends; go look at a Ford front end after it gets some miles on it. My 03s pushing 100,000, and my 07s nearing 60,000. Both as tight as the day they rolled off the lot. And I drove each one off the lot, with the biggest grin on my face. Theyve both taken my abuse. Im not easy on stuff; if it can handle it, I dont need it in my driveway. The only issues Ive had are with the auto in my 07. And truth be told, the stock trans gave me fewer issues than the aftermarket one. I knew it when I bought; shoulda gotten a manual.

So should Dodge become extinct (they wont) itll be older trucks for me.
Old 06-23-2009, 03:26 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by blake.clark
That, in my most humble opinion, is a huge gas guzzling mistake.
Yea, kinda like having 2-3 truck payments every month...one to fill it up and one for the vehicle. common sense right out the window.
Old 06-23-2009, 03:35 PM

i must say i drive it cuz of both im a mopar guy lucky for me dodge has cummins
Old 06-23-2009, 06:49 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I think ford makes a good truck just as good as the dodge in many ways so if ford had a Cummins yes I would buy it ,if dodge had a P/S no, no room to work on them ,to many parts
Old 06-23-2009, 07:12 PM

for the Cummins.... the Dodge "shell" has grown on me and I think they have the best styling of the big three.
Old 06-23-2009, 07:24 PM

bought it for the cummins. the second gen dodge is the best looking truck out there, so if dodge quit using cummins i think id just start making my own trucks. put a cummins in whatever I want.
Old 06-23-2009, 07:58 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Thumbs up Ford F-250 w/5.9 Cummins.

Bought it for the Cummins which is necessary to haul my slide in camper. I love the Dodge styling,but being tall I'd prefer a boxier cab similiar to the Ford. Actually a newer 4wd Ford w/front coils and a 5.9 Cummins would be the ultimate for me.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:33 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Because I can and I wanted to.

Someday, when our freedom to do this has been removed, I will look back fondly at the good old days.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:38 PM

i hate the dodge part just bought it for the engine i would like to put my engine in a 03-06 chevy pickup that would be the ultimate for me.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:04 AM

Thanks for the input guys.

Reading these posts confirmed my belief that most of the people who own a Dodge/Cummins have it for the Cummins. That is not meant to bad mouth the Dodge it comes wrapped in. Like wannadiesel said in his post, the Dodge part works, but it is all about the Cummins.

Where I work we have about 75 pickups, a mix of the big 3, gas and diesel from the early ‘90’s to present. Of the oldest trucks, most are Dodge/Cummins. Most of the older Fords and all of the older GM trucks with diesel engines were sold long ago. We have a few old Dodges with 300K plus of the worst “drive it like you aint got a dime in it” miles, that I wouldn’t have any worries about getting in and going on a 1000 mile road trip. I don’t think my ol’ body will take 1000 miles in a first gen, but I have no doubt the truck will make it.

I posted a similar question in a Ford forum I hang out in (sorry guys, I bleed Ford blue. You guys have the best engine though) and there were very few who own their trucks for the International engine. The vast majority said it was all about the wrapper. I (IMHO) built/am building the best of both worlds.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:25 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by jimlj
... and there were very few who own their trucks for the International engine. The vast majority said it was all about the wrapper.
Yeah, it's been my experience that those Ford folks are kind of superficial that way, e.g. "Look at me, I drive a big Ford". Form before function.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by klx650a2
Then they bought a new v10.
Ouch... I educated a middle aged man on what torque from a cummins is all about. He got the triton v-10 because it had the most horsepower that year. He burned 3 full tanks to my one going from Baltimore MD to Columbus Ohio, not to mention I could pull away from his empty truck while I had a 14foot enclosed trailer on the back. At the time I only had a fuel plate and boost elbow.
Old 06-24-2009, 05:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Dodge truck is every bit as good as any other on the road.

I love the styling and I love the Cummins, makes it an easy decision.

lso in my oppinion the resale is better with the Dodge compared to others.

Atleast in this area.
Old 07-01-2009, 02:27 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by SOhappy
Yeah, it's been my experience that those Ford folks are kind of superficial that way, e.g. "Look at me, I drive a big Ford". Form before function.
thats kind of a silly comment IMHO...I know plenty of dodge and chevy guys who are the same way.

ben

Quick Reply: Why do you own your Dodge diesel truck?