General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Why do you own your Dodge diesel truck?

Old 06-20-2009, 08:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why do you own your Dodge diesel truck?

Do you own it because it is a Dodge? Or do you own a Dodge because it has the Cummins engine? If Dodge used the powerstroke and Ford used Cummins, would you still be driving a Dodge?

No flame war please, just curious.
Old 06-20-2009, 08:09 AM

hell no"
Old 06-20-2009, 08:13 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by baddodges
hell no"
Please elaborate

I own mine because I knew about the Cummins... I had a half ton Z-71 that was not worth a dang if you put any weight in it.

I do not think that I would buy a Ford if it had a Cummins... I dunno. If it was set up under the hood the same way the Dodge is... maybe.

I would defiantly not be driving a Dodge if it had a powerstroke. I used to be a Chevy man, if Cummins got out of the light truck market, I'd probably go back to them.
Old 06-20-2009, 08:13 AM

Because of the cummins.
Old 06-20-2009, 08:19 AM

semper fi madhat,my son leaves for bootcamp july 13th, any words of encouragement. my brother is coming home home after four years.it sure will be nice to go hunting with him again.
Old 06-20-2009, 08:20 AM

I would drive anything that had the Cummins, no matter what...
Old 06-20-2009, 08:24 AM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Nothing against the Dodge part, it works OK. But it's really all about the Cummins.
Old 06-20-2009, 08:26 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by baddodges
semper fi madhat,my son leaves for bootcamp july 13th, any words of encouragement. my brother is coming home home after four years.it sure will be nice to go hunting with him again.
Semper Fi back. Yeah, a lot! Shoot me a pm, we'll chat.
Old 06-20-2009, 09:07 AM

As long as it had a cummins or another real industrial diesel in it i wouldn't care what truck it was in.
Old 06-20-2009, 09:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The day I bought mine (used) I drove three trucks back to back - Dodge, ford, and Chevy. All used, 3/4 ton, diesel, 4x4, and automatics.

The Ford was OK, but there were a lot of issues with interior trim - loose shifter arm, broken *****, etc. Looked and felt cheap. But the ride was nice and the there was no turbo lag. Seats were the most comfortable of the three.

The Chevy had a cheap looking interior, but it had held up better than the Ford. Nothing was loose or broken. The seats were very comfy. The engine was smoother and quieter than the other two. And when you stomped on it, it really jumped. I was very impressed. But the suspension was was down right scary. Marshmellow soft, sloppy steering, and lots of sway. It also had a lot more electronic wizardry that the other tow - automatic lights, automatic windshield wipers, etc. Quite a few options not available on the Dodge.

The Dodge interior is a lot more truck like, feeling a little spartan. The suspension was also very truck like. And that matches the seats - truck like. You know you're riding in a truck. Although the truck will go 500 miles between fill ups, I can't sit in the seat that long. The suspension is firm, and you fell most of the bumps and pot holes on the roadway. But it handles really well empty or loaded; it's a trade off. The cummins is a great engine, with a great reputation. In line engine always make more torque than V engines, no matter what fuel they use. Definatly more turbo lag than the other two; but you get used to that. It's a simpler engine than the other two, which makes service easier and increases reliability.

But, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong.
Old 06-20-2009, 09:35 AM

I own and keep mine because basically, for the money, its the best out there.
My truck does everything I need it to do, and everything I can think of needing it to do in the future.
Old 06-20-2009, 09:41 AM

I owned a 99 Dodge 1500 before I bought this one and if I buy another 1500, it'll be a Dodge unless the small Cummins is in some other application and then I'll look at that but I still think Dodge is the best looking truck on the road.

In the HD's, it's wherever the I6 Cummins resides... for now that's Dodge which is preferable because of the exterior styling... I don't think that Ford or GM would pick up Cummins anytime in the near future anyhow so it's a bit of a moot point.

I didn't know a lot about diesels when I bought mine... knowing what I know now, I'll be following Cummins.
Old 06-20-2009, 09:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I like my truck for being a Dodge and the Cummins. Dodge has had a rep for making solid work trucks, I'm not worried about leather seats and dual zone a/c systems, On Star or Powerjokes. The Cummins is proven, I haven't had a single issue to make me hate this truck, I like it more everyday. And finally I like the way the Dodges look, the GM trucks don't look that great to me and the Fords; well I've been through enough problems with prior Fords. Had a 05 F-150 and if that was supposed to be a 300hp engine then my Dodge had 750hp stock. The Fords 6 speeds are inferior to the nv5600 and g56, IMO even inferior to the nv4500. The Goverment motors too.
Old 06-20-2009, 09:54 AM

I like my Ford with a Cummins and wish they had made it that way.
Old 06-20-2009, 12:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's been said on this site, MANY times....
The "Perfect" truck - Cummins, Allison, Ford Chassis

I still agree with this.

When I was truck shopping, I was looking at engines...not trucks!

Tony

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why do you own your Dodge diesel truck?