General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

why is cummins the best?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 04:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wcbcruzer
Cummins is a more heavy duty engine. Cummins is, and always has been, ahead of the game. Cummins engineering is based on a solid understanding of how a diesel works, not just "can we get this new motor to last 100k miles." As an example... Cummins met the 2010 EPA emissions requirements 3 years ago. Chevy and Ford struggled to meet the requirement and finally resorted to using DEF. Cummins is offered as an "upgrade" over the Powerstroke in F650 and up medium-duty trucks. Cummins has bigger connecting rods. Cummins is an inline-6, which is the best configuration for engine balance. Cummins is an inline-6, which is what all the big rigs use.

Having said all that, I don't think the new Duramax engines are all that bad. Just depends on what you want out of a vehicle.

Just as an aside, look at how many stationary industrial apps run an inline vs. a V configuration. Not many. And those run at or near full load for much longer than any OTR engines.
Old 08-14-2010, 10:43 AM

its far more superiority because i have 554k miles on my engine and i have spent less then 2k in parts to maintain those miles from wear and tare...
Old 08-15-2010, 11:42 AM

Received 414 Likes on 316 Posts
Got to drive a Ford with a Cat transplant in it. Now that was an insane machine.
Old 06-03-2014, 11:16 PM

Bolt tension for MTU 4000

Hii... Do you have any idea what brand for the bolt tensioner to open main bearing cap MTU 4000 series ? because mine always leaking. Thank's
Old 06-03-2014, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by 1-5-3-6-2-4
I dunno about cummins being "the" best. they got a solid track record for sure. but the german engineering is pretty dang hard to beat.

and talking about hydraulic. pulling the front hub on a MTU 2000 series yesterday. you're applying 35,000-43,000 psi to expand the hub. to release from the crank. no heating or cooling. the hub actually has a hydraulic port on the front, with drillings internally and a channel to the crank surface. at 35,000+ psi the fluid literally forced between the hub and crank pops it off. then you can wham bam the front seal.

Hii... Do you have any idea what brand for the bolt tensioner to open main bearing cap MTU 4000 series ? because mine always leaking. Thank's
Old 06-05-2014, 12:39 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by VADSLRAM
You've never had to work on an MTU have you?
You don't have to go to gemany now to be certified to work on them, but you do if you want to manage the techs. You think our comps are bad? The computer on our newer boats is so intrusive it tells you everything about everything. We haven't had a major failure yet with thousands of hours on them but maybe it's because of the computer shutting things down if it doesn't detect the "suggested" maintenance has been performed. I hear they are great for the operators and a vacation for the engineering crew...because to stay in warranty the work has to be done by certified MTU techs.
Ole Rudy Diesel might have been german but I think Cummins has been better tailored for US by US.
Definitely a case of fanatical German OVER engineering.
No doubt they are great engines. Our new small boats all have MTUs.
BUT, When you need a certified tech to do work....and many times you must have that to keep the warranty, you pay enough to have the guy fly in from Bremen first class with a personal **** stewardess. The regular maintenance is controlled by the engine talking to a special laptop. "I'm sorry Dave but I can't allow that"