General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Who changes there own oil?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 05:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I change the oil in my vehicles, my wife's car, my parent's vehicles, and all the vehicles on the ranch I work for. 12 vehicles in all. Started changing my parents a few years ago after a oil change place here left the filer cap off and an empty bottle of oil on the manifold of my mom's Tahoe. Within 50 miles it melted on the manifold and set a check engine light. Another time they said they changed the oil in my dad's truck, but it was it's first oil change and had the factory filter on it (mopar). Well, after they said they changed the oil and filter, it still had the same filter. And there are no Dodge dealerships in my town that they could have gotten a filter from, and that would have been a stretch if there were. Alot of bad things happen at quick-lube places!
Old 02-15-2008, 06:05 PM

I do my own

I do my own and always have. I use Amsoil which I buy in 30 gallon bulk since I have several cars. I run Donalson filters. I also change it COLD. I know there is a lot of talk about that and as far as I am concerned, none of the arguements hold water. I will let it set over night, jack it up and drain from the plug. I get about 1/2 quart more doing it cold instead of hot. Now where do you suppose that 1/2 quart is when it is hot. Also, the filter has leaked down just enough to not spill any when removing it. While it is in the air, I check it from front to rear for anything looking to go wrong as well as the fluids. I also rotate the tires each oil change. Takes about half a day but when I am done I am ready for the long haul. Just my two cents worth. Gene
Old 02-15-2008, 07:35 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I would never pay somebody to do an oil change on one of my vehicles. I can do it myself quicker and cheaper.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:56 PM

I have always changed my oil on every r Ive owned. I get a chance to make sure I get the best oil and not what some knuckle head wants to put in there. My thought is that you know its right when you do it yourself......
Old 02-15-2008, 11:26 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
It's no accident that a 5-gal bucket will slide under my oil pan with room to spare.

I share the same reason for DIYing it-- won't trust a lube jockey, overpriced "service", etc.

It's especially the case because O/C on a CTD is so easy to do-- the filter is very accessible, and oil drainage is easy to do. Far easier than most fwd vehicles with their tiny, buried filters.

jmo
Old 02-16-2008, 10:39 AM

WOW, I didnt expect 3 pages in one day. Thanks for the answers. What I meant buy sucking it through the dipstick is using the bucket/pump that I use to suck the oil out in my boat. Now on to the most important ? Ive read alot of threads about it- Synthetic or Not, what oil?
Old 02-16-2008, 11:37 AM
DTR College Boy and FUN SIZED!!!!!!!!!!

I change my own. At work, a dealership, so it's easy when the truck is on the rack.
Old 02-16-2008, 12:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the inboard motor out of one of my boats right now, and I added a drain hose to the oil pan. Now I will be able to pull the hose out through the bilge drain hole and drain the oil that way. No more pumping!

Why the heck it didn't come new that way I have no idea...
Old 02-16-2008, 12:32 PM

Another non-truster of quickie places. I prefer to do it myself so I know its getting done right! I use a fumoto valve from Genos and it makes it super easy. As far as dino or synthetic, I was using Mobil 1 full synthetic but changed to Rotella Synthetic about 6 months ago after reading that oil analysis thread here on DTR.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:11 PM

change it myself, for all the aforementioned reasons, plus it costs me a little less than 27 bucks.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:25 PM

Bought a bunch of Shell Synthetic today!
Old 02-16-2008, 09:59 PM

oooo. I wanna get in on this. I will add another topic to it too. when you pull the oil filter, what is everyones trick to not end up with oil running down your arm and all over the truck/floor. ALSO '03 trucks, manual calls for 11 qt in the pan and 1 in the filter, so should I be putting 12 qts/3 gallons? the last time I took it to a shop cause I was swamped and they only put in 11 qts
Old 02-16-2008, 11:46 PM

Location: My head lays down in Murrieta, but the day light hours are spent in San Diego, Ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ian515
oooo. I wanna get in on this. I will add another topic to it too. when you pull the oil filter, what is everyones trick to not end up with oil running down your arm and all over the truck/floor.
Easy, it never runs down my arm. I pull my filter from the top of the engine bay. I pull off the air intake tube from the turbo and the AFE. The I wrap a shop towel around the filter and loosen the filter (it's never more then hand tight). The rag will catch 90% of the oil that comes out. Completely lossen from threads and hold to keep from falling. Then I pull the filter up out of the engine bay. It kinda helps to stick my index finger into the filter; better grip and control. Then I wipe up what does drip/slip.
Old 02-16-2008, 11:49 PM

Location: My head lays down in Murrieta, but the day light hours are spent in San Diego, Ca.
Originally Posted by ian515
ALSO '03 trucks, manual calls for 11 qt in the pan and 1 in the filter, so should I be putting 12 qts/3 gallons? the last time I took it to a shop cause I was swamped and they only put in 11 qts
Exactly why I do it myself. I KNOW the oil level is correct.
Old 02-16-2008, 11:50 PM

who doesnt change their own oil. after people screwing it up so many times, besides i have a amsoil bypass so id rather do it my self

Quick Reply: Who changes there own oil?