General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Who changes there own oil?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 12:43 PM

Location: My head lays down in Murrieta, but the day light hours are spent in San Diego, Ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have always changed my own. In fact, almost all work done to my truck is performed by me.

Originally Posted by ofcmarc
Say What?
Yeah, my old Crusader Tunnel-Hull jet boat had a BBC 468. That little hull barely contained that monster motor, so oil changes involved sucking the oil out through the dipstick tube and the oil filter was mounted remotely.
Old 02-15-2008, 01:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As much as I hate to do oil changes I prefer to do it myself. It's not a matter of dollars and cents. Doing it myself I can be assured that the filter is on correctly and there is a gasket and no double gasket and it doesn't leak. I don't get oil slopped all over the battery and turbo hoses. I put in the 3 gallons of oil that I've chosen specifically for diesel. It isn't poured all over the valve cover and side of the motor. I know the drain plug is in and tightened properly ...not reefed untill it strips or is next to impossible to remove.

I don't need the radiator opened....it's full if there is antifreeze in the recovery tank. I'll know if it is leaking. There is brake fluid in the master cylinders...no need to open it to the air to check it, that's why there are plastic reservoirs. I can put in washer fluid and not pour it all over the radiator. I also know when I need new wipers and I know what ones I need and want...not some generic stuff.

The couple grease fittings there are I can do easily and not have grease dripping all over....ultimately on the driveway.

I can also inspect the exhaust and fuel lines. It also give me a chance to check over the under side of the truck for any impending problems.

Heaven help the idiot that tries to do a fuel filter change at the quicky oil change.

And the very last thing is I DON'T NEED THE @#$% RADIO TURNED UP FULL ON SOME @#$ NOISE STATION.

Old 02-15-2008, 01:25 PM

I do mine, my girlfriends, my families, and her families. 7 of them aren't my vehicles and I still don't trust other people to touch them. It probably costs about 50 bucks, but so be it. It ain't cheap to HD, remember?
Old 02-15-2008, 01:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Since I was 17 I've changed my own oil. Can't imagine paying to have it done by people who don't care...
Old 02-15-2008, 01:39 PM

Its not so much a trust thing for me, its just that I hate paying for something that I can easily do myself.
Old 02-15-2008, 01:42 PM
Pickin on the wrong admin...

I also change my own oil on my truck and my cars.Doing trust those oil change places.Some of those jokers only know,that oil comes in a plastic container.
Old 02-15-2008, 02:09 PM

Doing it yourself saves money, but, more importantly, YOU PICK YOUR OIL &F FILTER. It is no big deal to pull the plug, just a 1/4" rachet head. Many people get the Stratopore filtes from Geno's, both oil & fuel.
Plus I can do it, while doing other things. Let the oil drain and engine cool off.
Old 02-15-2008, 02:38 PM

I do my own, since its something i can take care of and not have to rely on others.
Old 02-15-2008, 02:53 PM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
I do as much as I can myself on the truck.
Old 02-15-2008, 03:49 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
The replies are just as I thought they would be. Basically we don't trust the local lube shop to do the job as we want it done, apart from their inability to install the correct oil and filter we want unless we supply it and bring it with us. If you are going to go that far you might just as well do it yourself. Yes I do my own on all 5 vehicles.
Old 02-15-2008, 03:55 PM

I started doing my girlfriends fathers when he decided he wanted to run Synthetic. They told him if he brought the oil and filter in they'd do it for 20 bucks labor. They charged my girlfriend 32.99 for Synthetic, Filter, AND "labor".

That's when I told them to suck wind and started doing their oil also.
Old 02-15-2008, 03:58 PM

I can change my own oil using synthetic Rotella for less than the dealership charges for dino and I get to do it on my schedule. I order Napa Gold/Wix filters from fleetfilter.
Old 02-15-2008, 03:59 PM

I change my own as well. I like being able to choose to run synthetic and not whatever the lube place wants to put in.

I was on the other side of the country a few years ago and took my truck in to have the oil changed and when they were done, something didn't look right. I realized that all of the tires looked low and it turned out that they had set them all to 35psi down from the 80psi they had been at.

As far as sucking the oil out of the dipstick tube, that is a really common practice on boats. I have done this countless times and it is very easy and can be done with almost no spillage and no lying on the ground. On my truck, I just use one of these easy change plugs.
Old 02-15-2008, 04:58 PM

My dealership charges me 29.99 I cant do it myself for that. I am sure they are hoping for other maint stuff "while we are at it" the only other thing they have done is a trans flush.
Old 02-15-2008, 05:00 PM

ive never let anyone change my oil on any of my vehicles. on one car i bought used the PO had taken it to some quicky lube place. thank god they stripped the bolt instead of the pan! that simpley reassured me as to why i dont let somebody else work on my vehicles. My dad takes his to walmart (provides his own oil and filter) but still! i even offered to change it for him. i wont let them change it on anything i own, much less an 06 cummins!

Quick Reply: Who changes there own oil?