Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   General Diesel Discussion (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/general-diesel-discussion-92/)
-   -   what happens when you run it out of fuel? (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/general-diesel-discussion-92/what-happens-when-you-run-out-fuel-28155/)

Mostwanted 06-14-2003 08:52 PM

what happens when you run it out of fuel?

I have had some close calls but haven't ran it out yet. Does it ruin the pump?

Mexstan 06-14-2003 09:39 PM

Re:what happens when you run it out of fuel?

What happens when you run it out of fuel........<br>Gosh, the engine stops running. [laugh] [laugh]

Commatoze 06-14-2003 10:40 PM

I've heard that:<br>
  • It can toast your lift pump
  • it can toast your injection pump
  • it can be one bear to get started again because of the air in the lines
<br><br>But it's never happened to me, so this is all heresay.. [undecided]<br>

HC 06-15-2003 12:54 PM

Think of it like draining your battery by leaving on the lights. &quot;One time&quot; won't destroy your battery the very first time you do it, but it will reduce the life of your battery by some amount.<br><br>So doing it &quot;one time&quot; probably would not toast the lift or injection pump. But based on fuel filter changes alone, I can assure you #3 alone, &quot;getting started&quot;, is more than enough reason to never let it happen. You'll have to do things you don't want to do like cranking and cranking and cranking, and you'll probably have to crack open some injector lines to bleed air. It's a real pain, hard on the starter, not fun, takes time, and a bunch of other nasties.<br><br>Many believe that keeping the tank above 1/2 full also helps improve the life of the lift pump; I tend to agree. I used to often run until the &quot;low on fuel&quot; warning came in. But since my first lift pump change, I rarely let it go below half, and now have more miles on my second pump than I got out of the first, still showing good pressure. It doesn't &quot;prove&quot; that the &quot;1/2 tank&quot; rule works, but, I plan to keep doing it (except on very long trips) just to play safe.

greatwhite 06-15-2003 01:14 PM

You also get dirty and smelly or you get poorer because you choose to pay someone else to get dirty and smelly. (Bleeding lines)

Cowhand 06-18-2003 03:33 PM

Can't comment on the over-valved motors because I never ran one dry (only one I ever drove was a test drive) but as far as the 12 valves go, I've run mine dry twice.

Getting it started again is not much worse than starting it after fuel filter change. I just turned over 170K and I've never had lift pump problems (knock on wood).

The only bad thing that's come out of running it dry has been a sore thumb from pumping the dang primer button &gt;:( &gt;:( &gt;:(

If you do run it dry, crank it for a few seconds (after you fill the tank) to prime the fuel line from the tank. Then get after the primer button until you hear fuel pushing past the overflow valve. Should fire right up (worked for me). 8)

BTW, I've never had to crack open the lines......

Srigs 06-18-2003 10:28 PM

You come to a stop and you can't move! [laugh] [laugh] [laugh]

quantrill88 06-18-2003 10:40 PM

new holland piece of junk tractor at work ran dry today.......had to crack the lines open and crank for what seemed like forever, finally came to life with a huge cloud of black smoke ???......o well at least it started