Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   General Diesel Discussion (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/general-diesel-discussion-92/)
-   -   What happens if you put gas instead of diesel? (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/general-diesel-discussion-92/what-happens-if-you-put-gas-instead-diesel-20165/)

PADZZ 11-15-2002 11:05 AM

What happens if you put gas instead of diesel?

So, what happens if you accidently put gas insead of Diesel in the tank? My wife says she's worried that'll happen if she ever drives it....I said just don't do it...she said why...I said I don't know, just don't do it. <br> So what exactly happens? Do you just have to remove the tank &amp; drain it?<br>

Dieseldude4x4 11-15-2002 11:48 AM

Re:What happens if you put gas instead of diesel?

Yep, and now you've got mixed hazardous waste and more than likely, no one will want to dispose of it or it will cost an arm and two legs.

Commatoze 11-15-2002 12:29 PM

A few years back, some porcupine filled the diesel tanks on my uncle's 38' Island Packet sailboat with gasoline while he was ashore having dinner. He motored off, but didn't get very far before the engine quit. But, after draining the tanks and flushing the supply it started right up and runs fine today.

Wade 11-15-2002 12:56 PM

It happened to one of my Co. trucks once. I went in to get some refreshments, the guy with me left to fuel up, he pu about 5 gal. GAS in, caught himself and filled the rest with diesel, about 30 gal. He told me about an hour later. Nothing happend......yet.

Dieseldude4x4 11-15-2002 01:33 PM

Depends on the dilution ratio as to what will happen. It is not a good chemical mix though.

cummins_cowboy 11-15-2002 02:11 PM

If you don't have to terrible much in the fuel tank, then you could just drain it out and use it for hand cleaner. It makes a great hand cleaner, it takes grease and oil right off. Granted the smell doesn't come off that easy, but hey it works.

Smokin J 11-15-2002 02:41 PM

A friend and I did the opposite to a friend of his's golf cart. Would not start. We did not know we were pouring diesel in the tank. Boy did that guy give us a hard time for a few years. Now we just borrow electric carts!!

Lil Dog 11-15-2002 03:28 PM

The newer generation fuel systems are way more sensitve to this type of foul up and it may cost you an injection pump.. The VP44 may not live long with gasoline in its vanes...LOL.<br><br>J-eh

DieselDaze 11-15-2002 03:37 PM

There is a thread on this site that has stories about gassing a diesel.<br>It is a very old thread.<br>However, some of the stories were that gas super heats the injection nozzles and can weld the injection nozzle shut. Also, there is a story where the gas will actually burn a hole in the top of the Cummins aluminium pistons. Gas may and will do damage to the injection pumps because gas does not have the lubrication properties needed in these pumps.<br><br>I suppose it has to do with the ratio of gas to diesel, how long it ran on the gas and how it was run while drinking gas.<br><br>In all, its can destroy a diesel's internal components.<br><br><br><br>I've alway wondered... if you turn off a diesel and it continues to spit, sputter, and run rough... is it &quot;gassing&quot;?<br>(Gas engines diesel... do diesel engines &quot;gas&quot;?)<br> [laugh]<br><br>Rich

Dieseldude4x4 11-15-2002 05:43 PM

I've often wondered that myself. NOT!!!!!!

shortround 11-15-2002 07:57 PM

PADZZ,<br>Where did you get that nic?<br>Looks like an SMR code you pulled out of a Army tech manual.

phox_mulder 11-15-2002 08:15 PM

I've heard of stations messing up and serving gasoline from the diesel pumps.<br><br>Heard of a couple people getting new trucks as a result.<br><br>If it ever happens to you, get it documented quick.<br>Signed in triplicate.<br>Witnesses help.<br>Samples from the pump.<br><br>I always put a little in, watch it coming out of the nozzle, check for color and consistency, give it a sniff, etc.<br><br><br>phox<br>

PADZZ 11-15-2002 10:04 PM

shortround.....Just a huge S.D. Padres :-[ fan. Please don't laugh [eyecrazy] [eyecrazy].

pappyman 11-16-2002 06:01 AM

That happened to me in a small town...topped off my tank about 15 gals left the station got 12 miles away and started to lose power until it wouldnt run anymore...had it towed back to the same small town, at the repair shop the mechanic could smell the gas in the tank we drove back to the station and made the manager take a sample of the fuel he could smell the gas too...found out they just took a load of gas and the tanker dropped a gas load into the diesel tank.<br>Had to pull all the injectors and snap tested them (they where ok) flushed the fuel system and drained the fuel tank and refilled with fresh diesel...the station payed for everything $550.00...it pays to get diesel from major truck stops

HC 11-16-2002 07:16 AM

As you can see, the range of possibilities is from &quot;no permanent damage&quot; to &quot;full engine destruction&quot;.<br><br>One old truckers trick was to add a gallon of gas to the tank in extreme cold weather to prevent gelling. I've also heard of adding motor oil if you discover your boo-boo. I would NOT do either of those with the 2nd generation or newer Dodges.<br><br>I think Document, and Tow to a competent shop would be my course of action.

chuck3 11-16-2002 08:55 AM

Just say NO to gas in diesels, if you just have to do drugs use propane or nos. [laugh] [laugh]<br><br><br><br> Just kidding of corse. ;)

shortfieldbreak 11-16-2002 05:26 PM

DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME!!!<br><br>Speaking of fuels,....Diesel engines are great. You can run them on just about anything, gas, propane, natural gas, CNG, even solid powdered fuels IF THE ENGINE IS SET UP RIGHT!! (I mean correct metals and timing. Anything is possible)

Muskrat 11-16-2002 07:49 PM

i had an 82 Audi diesel and the operaters manual suggested adding gas in the winter if the fuel gelled. i think it was 1 gal to a tank 15 gal tank if i remember correctly

Jrr 11-20-2002 12:46 PM

I think the big difference is gonna be P7100 or VP44 pump. Couple of friends have had it done by sons and daughters no major problems drained and worked fine but were P7100 pumps. P7100's are lubed by oil as well as the !st gen pumps. The VP44 is lubed by fuel big difference not much lubricity in gasoline.

tool 11-20-2002 11:17 PM

I know someone who accidentaly dumped 5 gallons of diesel into their gas powered Combine after it had run out in the field. <br>We discovered the mistake after we went to try and get it running again. Just dilluted it with more gasoline ;D<br><br>Smoked like mad, ran a tick rough, but by the next fillup you'd never know.<br><br>In our old gas tractors we always put a couple pumps (you gotta pump by hand out of the bulk tanks around our place) of coloured diesel. Since the gas we get now is unleaded and they were meant for leaded. The diesel is supposed to lubricate the valves like the lead used to.