General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Truck burglarized

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 03:34 PM
There is no G. There is no G. Repeat after me, THERE IS NO G!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Truck burglarized

I had my truck burglarized Monday night while I was inside having dinner with some friends. The door handle cylinder lock was popped with what I believe was a center punch or screw driver. They tried to steal the nav and yanked on the bezel. It didn't give way due to those two hidden screws that hold it place on the bottom.

They did steal my backpack with all my work stuff in it, a Maglight LED flashlight, coin baggie with $30-40 worth, but that was it as far as I have discovered. Least it bumped it to a Class B right? I am surprised no tools or straps were taken from the cab. They tried to pop the lock cylinder on the toolbox but didn't hit it hard enough.

I believe they were interrupted and didn't seem to have spent a lot of time in there. Or they were stupid and didn't know to take things of value, like tools. They would have found some useful stuff. I am thankful they didn't make it worth their while but for the damage I now have to pay for, I oddly wish they would have. Stupid butts, should have just asked me for $500 if they needed the money so bad. But it doesn't work like that.

If you install a new head/nav unit, install the bottom screws on the bezel. I know you will be tempted not to in order to make bezel disassembly easy, but your stuff will be ripped off because they'll have clear access to the head unit mounting screws. And that's another thing, I'm thinking of replacing current mounting screws with security screws, just to make it one step tougher to remove than a phillips head.

There is some sheetmetal damage surrounding the door handle. This is really irritates me. The pressure from the lock puncture distorted the sheetmetal and the handle doesn't sit flush on the door. So I'll have to pay for a body man to get that back in line, the Dealer tech won't do it and they don't have a body man (they contract with an Independent). This may effectively double the cost of the repair. Waiting on the dealer to call back with an estimate

Well, just wanted to show yall and remind everyone not to let your guard down. The lack of security is why I don't keep firearms and really good stuff unattended in the truck, it's too easy to get in, even for the pain in the rear opportunist.

While I'm here, any ideas to secure the door lock cylinder to prevent this same type of entry? I'm thinking of a trunk monkey

Attached Thumbnails Truck burglarized-burg1.jpg   Truck burglarized-burg2.jpg  
Old 03-18-2015, 04:00 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Man that Suck! Sorry!
Old 03-18-2015, 04:11 PM

Thanks man.
Old 03-18-2015, 04:40 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Crap! I hate thieves!

Sorry they did that to you
Old 03-18-2015, 05:19 PM

Me too Lary, me too.
I hope what went around comes around quickly for them.
Old 03-18-2015, 11:17 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
SORRY to hear that…GLAD that you still have yor truck!!!

I installed a Ravelco ignition cutoff in my truck years ago…even if the EDIT get in, it makes the truck nearly impossible to hot wire. Look up Ravelco…HIGHLY recommended.

Also have JimmiJammers installed, though I do NOT know if that would have stopped entry in your case through the door lock, they protect AROUND the door lock/bezel…now I am curious.

Edited by jrs_dodge_diesel
Old 03-18-2015, 11:22 PM

Ok, Jimmijammers wouldn't work in this case, BUT they are now making additional deterrents..not burglar proof, but at least a deterrent--

PunchPlug & LockCap door lock guards
Old 03-19-2015, 05:16 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Super sorry to hear that, Shorts...
Old 03-20-2015, 07:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by seafish
SORRY to hear that…GLAD that you still have yor truck!!!

I installed a Ravelco ignition cutoff in my truck years ago…even if the EDIT get in, it makes the truck nearly impossible to hot wire. Look up Ravelco…HIGHLY recommended.

Also have JimmiJammers installed, though I do NOT know if that would have stopped entry in your case through the door lock, they protect AROUND the door lock/bezel…now I am curious.

Edited by jrs_dodge_diesel

I installed JimmiJammers on my truck. FWIK, this is how it can work best. The lock is on the driver's side only and it can be removed and replaced with a plug. You will have to use your remote to open the doors, which is what we do most of the time anyway. Thus, the Jimmi jammers should stop the thief's entry from around the door handle/lock.

A well hidden kill switch is probably a good ideal for trucks that may be stolen. I have a Revelco on my truck also.
Old 03-21-2015, 09:59 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
THat's a drag Shorts, sorry to hear.

Sounds like druggers, they don't steal tools cause they are heavy and they are usually on foot. Stuff they can get 20-40 bucks for will keep them high a couple days....

Best advice is keep stuff out of sight, put away charging cords and wipe the gps smear off the windshield if applicable and they will pass for a more solid target.

I hate losing the personal stuff, or realizing a week later something was lost I completely forgot to claim....
Old 03-24-2015, 03:23 AM

Thanks guys. This is the second time in the past 5 months that someone has broken in and stolen from me.

This time around, not having my work backpack has completely thrown off my leaving-the-house and going-home-from-work-with-all-my-stuff routine. I forget to take my lunches to work, I forget to bring home my travel mug. Then the next morning I have no travel mug to take my coffee and I'm wasting coffee at home because I brew half a pot

But today ordered things I need or am missing so I can repair.

I found a gently used Maxpedition Kodiak Gearslinger backpack for half price. Been wanting a Maxpedition for a while and I need a backpack, so takes care of two birds with one stone.

I ordered my parts from truck security. I did opt for the jimmijammers for all the doors and the lock cap. But I passed on the plug. For the lock cylinder I just ordered a replacement.

Jb:

I installed JimmiJammers on my truck. FWIK, this is how it can work best. The lock is on the driver's side only and it can be removed and replaced with a plug. You will have to use your remote to open the doors, which is what we do most of the time anyway. Thus, the Jimmi jammers should stop the thief's entry from around the door handle/lock.
I had the same thought process. Initially where I was going to take this but that little voice was still whispering "what if I need to get in the truck with key?". I was willing to gamble on the key fob or battery not dying, but what I have done is locked my keys in the truck with it running and needed the skeleton key to get in I'm still hemming around it though. If I want it secure so the cylinder can't be punched, I need a plug. I may change my mind.

Ok, Jimmijammers wouldn't work in this case, BUT they are now making additional deterrents..not burglar proof, but at least a deterrent--

PunchPlug & LockCap door lock guards
Seafish, I did order the lockcap to go on the new lock cylinder.

THat's a drag Shorts, sorry to hear.

Sounds like druggers, they don't steal tools cause they are heavy and they are usually on foot. Stuff they can get 20-40 bucks for will keep them high a couple days....

Best advice is keep stuff out of sight, put away charging cords and wipe the gps smear off the windshield if applicable and they will pass for a more solid target.

I hate losing the personal stuff, or realizing a week later something was lost I completely forgot to claim....
Thanks. I'm pretty good about not keeping valuables in within sight. It doesn't matter once they are in though. They go through everything like snoops and violate your privacy.

And you're spot on with realizing items a week later. Just a day or so ago I ran across the thought that the adapter cables for my phone-to-nav system are gone from the glove box but didn't realize it at the time I was making the police report. That was $100 item. I hope the thief falls asleep on the train tracks. And I'm realizing all the little items I kept in my backpack that I have to replace now because I use often.
Old 03-24-2015, 02:43 PM

NOT gonna pay $70 for a hole plug, so I decided that I am going to look around a black plastic plug that will cover the keyhole and apply it with a little silicone caulk…the way that jj describes the plug is that it works most only as deterrent, not a physical block…many cars today no longer use a key lock, therefore if a thief does not see a key lock, they will need to choose/find another day in…if nothing else, a plastic cap will save the expense of a new lock cylinder, tough who knows what they will break next.

The Ravelco is a GREAT device!!!
Old 03-24-2015, 08:05 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
The revelco is a great device, but they aren't stealing the truck, just its contents.

I hate to say it but it may be someone you know, or someone that knows your truck is worth getting into.....
Old 03-24-2015, 11:21 PM

Hopefully not, think it is just a string of bad luck. The first burg was my storage unit back home in Nov.

These things irritate my sense of security. The fact that I can't protect my things in the manner and level which I want burns my chaps.
Old 03-25-2015, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by seafish
NOT gonna pay $70 for a hole plug, so I decided that I am going to look around a black plastic plug that will cover the keyhole and apply it with a little silicone caulk…the way that jj describes the plug is that it works most only as deterrent, not a physical block…many cars today no longer use a key lock, therefore if a thief does not see a key lock, they will need to choose/find another day in…if nothing else, a plastic cap will save the expense of a new lock cylinder, tough who knows what they will break next.

The Ravelco is a GREAT device!!!
Letting you know the plug is ~ $10 plus shipping.
Truck Security for Dodge Chrysler

If you need two you're looking ~$13+ship.

Quick Reply: Truck burglarized