General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

???Tire wear

Old 02-05-2003, 10:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
???Tire wear

The rear tires on my truck seem to wear at an extremely fast rate as compared to the front. I have them rotated about every 6K miles and the wear on the rear tires seem to be significantly more. Is it because the back end is that much lighter? I do drive a lot of gravel roads but I didn't notice this on my old gasser. Also does anyone have a good recommendation for a tire that wears good on gravel roads?<br><br>Thanks,<br>KsRAM
Old 02-05-2003, 10:19 PM
Chapter President

Re: ???Tire wear

do a full alignment front and rear...normaly rears wear less then the fronts unless the alignments off
Old 02-06-2003, 07:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you have the limited slip diff?? I noticed tire wear was/is a problem on my '93 with the lsd. Mostly empty and driving on gravel roads. The clutch packs have worn out and it appears that tire wear isn't as much. I also don't drive the truck nearly as much either so that could be a red herring...
Old 02-06-2003, 08:53 PM

I know at least 6 people with ctd's and none of seem to be able to keep rear tires on em, my dad's friend works in a tire shop and he says people complain about it all the time ...<br><br>I think it's the massive torque spinning the wheels a little bit every time we accellerate ........<br><br>I'm sure my heavy foot doesn't help either
Old 02-06-2003, 11:34 PM
Chapter President

dodgeram<br><br>I think you might be right about tire spinning. I find that I spin my tires a little with my ctd where I would not with my car. I have a friend with a Dodge v-10 and his tires wear fast on the rear.<br><br>Paul