Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   General Diesel Discussion (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/general-diesel-discussion-92/)
-   -   Thoughts on this truck? (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/general-diesel-discussion-92/thoughts-truck-326606/)

Aaron Boulger 11-21-2016 10:15 PM

Thoughts on this truck?

Found an 01 2nd gen 2500, 239k miles. Transmission was rebuild at 179k with receipt.

Dude wants 10800 for it. Only a few negative things, and they're relatively minor. Driver side window does not work, small seat tear on driver side, and biggest is the thing wants to pull left. A LOT. Seems like the 3 inch lift put on it was done poorly, hopefully just an alignment problem.

Mechanically in tune. Transmission shifts fine (automatic), no blow by, No strange engine noises. Squeaks a little bit when you shut it off is the only thing I noticed. The bed is pretty banged up, but the thing is 15 years old. It's a deep grey color, clear coat is holding up, no sun damage really.

I'm skeptical of the 239k. I realize these 24V diesels will run forever if they've been maintained properly, but at 239k I'm a little less worried about the engine, and more about chassis. From the test drive, nothing really grabbed my attention negatively besides that pull.

Would any of you buy it?

Thump 11-21-2016 10:23 PM

I don't think I would at that price without a competent mechanic looking it over very closely. I'm just a stickler that way, though.
When a lift is installed poorly, it can adversely affect wear and tear much more severely than a properly installed one (they all do, no two ways about it). Everything from barely able to be aligned to bad steering issues to bent springs. Not worth it, to me, to buy someone else's problem.

Aaron Boulger 11-21-2016 10:30 PM

Also, another topic (won't make a new thread).

I found a beautiful 2000 with 120k miles on it. 15500 (which is a steal in this part of California). Good condition, drove flawlessly, no blow by, no strange noises, etc. But, about 3284 red flags arose.

I pull up to this dude's house. not Carl's Jr or Starbucks, not the corner of Sunset and 34th, not a Walmart, his house. I was initially expecting Bob, a 54 year old man who took his horses to the park every Saturday halfway across the states. Bob loves his truck but is upgrading to a 4th gen soon and is using this as a down payment.

But I didn't get Bob. I got an 18 year old Russian kid with a handful of cars in his driveway, no trailers, no other diesels. It seems terribly illogical to buy a Dodge 2500 diesel with practically no miles on it and drive it to school down the street with a 16 lb load. At that point, I would buy a Vespa or a Huffy bicycle with a toddler trailer.

I asked him how long he had owned it, and he responds with "a long time." Well okay. Later on he says he has only put about 3k miles on it. Must have owned it for a real long time, man. I do that in about a week and a half.

My gut feeling says "oh, this guy and his brother probably turn cars." My reproductive organs say "I need this truck in my bed today." But overall, I sense something fishier than a group of strippers from the Fuzzy Hole.

What do you guys think? He literally is desperate to sell it, told him I only have 10k not 15 (I don't) and he says he is willing to split payments up. I don't like it.

westcoaster 11-22-2016 12:00 AM

Usually your gut instinct is right, however

Could be anything...

A rebuild from a couple wrecked trucks,

Truck with a lien on it,

Stolen,

Mexican drug truck that made it across the line...

"Bob" trusts the kid to sell his truck (or his widow)...

Or simply straight up desperate to sell.

Check it out carefully. Ask buddy if you can take the VIN to the cops and watch his response. check if it has a clean title etc. etc..

Go over the truck with a fine tooth comb to look for things that simply aren't "right" (paint, signs of recent wrenching. Do the body bolts show signs of recent wrenching.
Be sure to take a buddy with you to watch your back and look for things you don't see.

Don't be in a hurry!!! if the truck goes to someone else, oh well...

RAMRODD 11-22-2016 02:10 PM

Chirp sound when you turn the truck off is considered normal on a second gen 24 valve.

Mike L 11-22-2016 11:35 PM

I panic if my truck doesn't chirp when I shut it off! I concur that you should be very, very cautious if you explore the "Bob" truck any further. To me it sounds pretty sketch and I think that your gut it telling you true.

Good Luck with your search!

Mike