General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Spun bearing on #4 piston, 75K miles, what happened?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2003, 11:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Spun bearing on #4 piston, 75K miles, what happened?

Well???? Whats happened? Any luck?
Ive recently had the same problem as you. I spun the rod bearing on #5. My rod bearing however, was in much worse shape than yours :'(. Groved the crank way to deep for turning . Ive attributed my problems to my previous owner and his most likely bad maintenance :'(. Im not saying that is what happened to you though. Im just saying I feel for you . I dont know if this helps but with all the repairs I had to do ( new crank, pistons, new rod, all lower end gaskets etc. etc. + a few goodies... fire rings, head studs, total seal rings etc.) Ive only spent about 2,000- 2,500 $ on the rebuild that is however without labor (rebuilding it myself). I dont mean to get off topic but if it does come down to rebuilding it yourself Ill give you the phone #s for all the places I got parts. Maybe that would save you some hard earned cash .
Good luck, and I hope Cummins holds true to their good name for your sake.
Scott
Old 10-10-2003, 04:47 AM

OMG MAN, we feel for you, too! In a wierd sort of way it is comforting to hear that someone else had this happen. The problem now is getting an answer from Dodge. We supplied everything we could including the maint records we have for the work we did and the work the previous owner did thru one dealership. They are "hearing from all the parties" now. We are still plugging away for an attorney. Some of these silver spooned attorneys, won't take the spoon outta their mouths long enough to listen. We gathered up 75 pages of information on the truck. Several more attorneys to see in the next few weeks and more letters to be sent out.

Oh yeah, least we forget not only are we looking at the long block repair we are also looking at the other "exposed" parts to be repaired and replaced....alas, it was suppose to be a warranty job.

psst...motorhead wife here...knowing more about a cummins engine than I ever wanted to.

Thus......we are still waiting!!! arghhhhhhhhhh
Old 10-10-2003, 09:37 AM

Keep it up! Small leaks have sunk great ships ;D and little strokes fell great oaks 8). Thats a quote from poor Richards almanac and good ol' Ben Franklin .
Just a question but have you talked to any other Cummins dealerships to see what they have to say about honoring a warranty in a situation like this ??? You could accidentally record the conversation with the other cummins dealership just to have proof, that is if they have good news for you :. Maybe you could just be an anonomous person interested in Cummins warrantee :. Surely that might help persuade your Cummins to honor your warranty, if not it would help in court down the road.
Good luck again
Scott
Old 10-10-2003, 11:53 AM

*giggling*

This is too funny....after posting here this morning...I decided that perhaps the Federal Trade Commission and the Better Business Bureau may want to hear about our plight...sent them on the information, too! I sent an email to the Atty General and CEO'S representative saying that we filed complaints with them. ****ok, I may have blond highlights...but I am not completely BLOND!***

Hubby was sitting here wondering if the "ceo's representative" was doing his job and well, we picked up the phone and called one Dodge Dealership initially involved and Cummins to see if Daimler Chrysler was doing their bit....I doooooooo know how to follow up on things. Sooooooooo, get this-----a Dodge representative was at the Cummins dealer this morning...asking about the situation. Apparently, this Cummins Manager told the Dodge Representative how it is to honor a warranty and told him that in order to deny us...a "engine failure" test (analysis) should have been done to be sure it was a maintenance issue. (this analysis was not done by Dodge.) Without that Dodge should have honored the warranty. NOOOOOOOOOOO, THE CALL WASN'T RECORDED!!!!

Also, called the warranty company we have for the extended warranty to see if they have been contacted, as well. They have not. They said ifffffffffffff the diesel isn't warrantied by the manufacturer and ifffffff they were doing the repair or replacement the previous owners maintenance records would not have come into the picture. The representative at the warranty company was "disturbed to hear how Dodge is handling this situation".

Oh yeah..........also, contacted a Massachusetts Attorney to see if this "breach of contract" on the warranty can be handled by them.

Next stop will be the Automobile Magazines, (Motor Trend, Motor Week and etc) anddddddddd JD Powers and Associates.

Sooooo, this is a summary of the Dodge Issue work done today!!!!! How am I doing guys????

Motorhead wife with blond highlights, too much time on my hands and the internet at my fingertips!

GAWDDDDDDDDD, will it ever be ovah??????
Old 10-10-2003, 11:59 AM

[quote author=MCummings link=board=8;threadid=16917;start=15#msg160070 date=1058275417]
When my customers truck spun a bearing on #4, there were no other signs other than an audible knock. The engine ran smooth, had good power, and oil was clean.

Without any reciepts, the dealer took the truck in, and put a new shortblock in the truck.

We did not tamper with it, open it up, or anything. We just took the truck to the dealer like it was.

Merrick Cummings Jr
[/quote]

Merrick is correct, what he did is what should of been done. Since it was not, you need to document everything that you did and what others did to your truck and take DC to court. Good luck.
Old 10-10-2003, 12:10 PM

OHHHHHHHHHH, 75 pages of documentation is already accumulated and a "journal" is being kept....

For the love of a Dodge Diesel (hubby's mistress) I go down this road and yes, if I can get an attorney to take this to court, I will. If not, well, it will be in public view via the sources I mentioned before.

Oh, btw, did you all know that the current CEO of Daimler Chrysler was put in charge to cut costs? Makes me go hmmm.......at the expense of loosing face with it's current customers or repeat ones from the days of when Dodge/Chrysler honored warranties n the good faith of their customers word. How many will return after matters like ours plague this "American Company"?????
Old 10-10-2003, 05:07 PM

[quote author=Dodge2-1 link=board=8;threadid=16917;start=90#msg195387 date=1065805821]
OHHHHHHHHHH, 75 pages of documentation is already accumulated and a "journal" is being kept....

For the love of a Dodge Diesel (hubby's mistress) I go down this road and yes, if I can get an attorney to take this to court, I will. If not, well, it will be in public view via the sources I mentioned before.

Oh, btw, did you all know that the current CEO of Daimler Chrysler was put in charge to cut costs? Makes me go hmmm.......at the expense of loosing face with it's current customers or repeat ones from the days of when Dodge/Chrysler honored warranties n the good faith of their customers word. How many will return after matters like ours plague this "American Company"?????
[/quote]

I feel for you, I won't bomb my truck and I have my dealer perform all of the Oil and Filter and other warranty required maintance, I keep a copy of all of the receipts just to cover my ***. I think all manufactures will do anything they can not to spend any money, so I don't give them any opportunities. I know that I don't have to go to this extreme but my dealer is a good one and it does not cost that much to have them do the required service.

Old 10-10-2003, 11:06 PM

;D We WONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!

NEW ENGINE AND REPLACEMENT PARTS COMING NEXT WEEK...
PAYDOWN OF EXISTANT TRUCK NOTE...

SATISFACTION OF BEATING DODGE.....PRICELESS!!!

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR SUPPORT AND INPUT!!!! DUNNO HOW I DID IT ACTUALLY BUTTTTTTTTTT IT WILL BE UP AND RUNNING SOON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

ANYONE CARE FOR A DRINK? **HICCUP**
Old 10-11-2003, 12:19 AM

:P :P :P ;D ;D ;D 8) 8) :P :P :P :P ;D ;D ;D

WHOOHOO,, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Merrick Cummings Jr
Old 10-11-2003, 03:56 AM

Congrats !!!!

But you should not have had to go through this.

: Eddie : 8)
Old 10-11-2003, 07:24 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Fantastic news. Now sit back and enjoy the warm feeling. When you get on the road put up some pics.
Ed
Old 10-11-2003, 07:34 AM
Chapter President

That is good news.
Old 10-11-2003, 07:44 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

;D ;D ;D ;DFantastic News ;D ;D ;D ;D

Congrats
Old 10-11-2003, 11:03 AM

[quote author=Dodge2-1 link=board=8;threadid=16917;start=90#msg195562 date=1065845216]

[/quote]

Please give some details. ???
Old 10-11-2003, 11:21 AM

[quote author=Pit Bull link=board=8;threadid=16917;start=90#msg195640 date=1065888196]
[quote author=Dodge2-1 link=board=8;threadid=16917;start=90#msg195562 date=1065845216]

[/quote][/quote]

WOW, sorry no details needed, I went back and reread the entire thread. Glad I have DC doing my warranty maintance to cover my donkey and that I will trade trucks when the warranty is up. Very sad that you were treated this way, I will keep this in mind the next time I think about buying a DC product.

Quick Reply: Spun bearing on #4 piston, 75K miles, what happened?