General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Rember That 5 Liter Cummins V8 Diesel For The Dodge Ram?

Old 10-07-2010, 11:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rember That 5 Liter Cummins V8 Diesel For The Dodge Ram?

It's been total silence for several months now, but last time I read anything, Cummins and Chrysler had re-opened talks/work on a future small V8 diesel for the 1500 Dodge Ram, and possibly as an option on the 2500-3500 Dodge Ram line.

Anyone here have any new info. on whats going on with this?

When Chrysler went through the bankruptcy, the whole project was put on "hold", but after the bankruptcy, I remember reading here on the forum via a Pickups.com article that Cummins and Chrysler were back together again on this small V8 diesel project.

This could be a great option for the 1/2 ton Dodge Ram line.

GM used to offer a diesel option for their 1/2 ton Chevy and GMC PU trucks many years back. I remember that it was initially the 350 CID V8 diesel but it didn't go over very good, as it had a lot of problems.

Never the less, I wouldn't expect the Cummins spawned V8 diesel to have those early GM diesel problems.

I'm really looking forward to some positive news about this Cummins offering for Dodge.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:23 PM

I haven't seen anything either & I've been looking all over the place! I wish someone would do it, I'd have my order in tomorrow!!!
Old 10-07-2010, 03:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's about the only thing that would bring me back to the dealer.

I really don't need all the power and weight I have now, but a gas engine won't cut it, either. I need something in between.
Old 10-07-2010, 04:33 PM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Good luck with that.

8 is for showing off, a 4 would make a 1/2 ton a serious value.....

But it will never sell...........BECAUSE THEY AIN'T SMART ENOUGH TO MAKE IT.

There, I feel better............
Old 10-07-2010, 06:51 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Seems like since the price of diesel fuel increased right up there with gas a lot of diesel engine options were put on hold.
60% of passenger cars in Europe are diesel, many made by the US's big three.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:16 PM

The last one they made (903) was crap.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:27 PM

agree. the triple nickel and the 903 were not very good engines. seen more than 1 with a broken cam
Old 10-07-2010, 09:20 PM

Ford is coming out with the EcoBoost V6 in the F150. It's a turbo gasser V6 that is worth looking at. Supposed to make lots of power and have a high tow capacity as well.
Old 10-08-2010, 04:34 AM

My oldest is turning 15 in December, and he sure isn't going to be driving a gasser. I'm already on the lookout for the next truck ...... I just hope the wife doesn't find out.

Or I "could" upgrade her with a Laramie and give her truck to the boy ...... hmmmmm.

Kris
Old 10-08-2010, 10:42 AM
Soot For Brains!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by infidel
Seems like since the price of diesel fuel increased right up there with gas a lot of diesel engine options were put on hold.
60% of passenger cars in Europe are diesel, many made by the US's big three.
whats the deal with europe and other countries having diesel passenger cars and we are just now getting to it.. kinda like they have diesel ford rangers ect.. y dont we have that option when we buy a smaller truck..
Old 10-08-2010, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by got_soot
whats the deal with europe and other countries having diesel passenger cars and we are just now getting to it.. kinda like they have diesel ford rangers ect.. y dont we have that option when we buy a smaller truck..
Couple a quick reasons:
1. Fuel prices are 3 times as high as the states minimum - so efficiency/$ counts more
2. The diesel engine is normally the same price (or thereabouts) as the gas engine, making the efficiency of the diesel an easy choice for most ... can you imagine how many truck owners would be diesel if they didn't have to pay for the $8000 option?
Old 10-08-2010, 03:48 PM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by got_soot
You can thank your IMPERIAL FEDERAL GOVERNMENT for that.

We had always been ahead of overseas with our emission requirements for Diesels, in 2006 when they caught up to us, instead of allowing companies to sell a world car, they changed OUR emissions to screw up the works.
Old 10-08-2010, 06:40 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
You have backwards, Europe's emission requirements for both gassers and diesels are more stringent than ours and always have been a few steps ahead.

The reason we don't have diesel passenger cars in the US is because they couldn't meet emissions requirements until ultra low sulfur diesel was required in 2007.
Europe has had ULSD for over a decade.
By the time ULSD was available in the US diesel prices increased and the economy started going in the crapper along with the auto manufacturers.
At this point they're struggling to survive let alone introduce new options.
Old 10-09-2010, 01:23 AM
Soot For Brains!

thanks for clearing that up guys.. it makes perfect sense
Old 10-09-2010, 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by infidel
You have backwards, Europe's emission requirements for both gassers and diesels are more stringent than ours and always have been a few steps ahead.

The reason we don't have diesel passenger cars in the US is because they couldn't meet emissions requirements until ultra low sulfur diesel was required in 2007.
Europe has had ULSD for over a decade.
By the time ULSD was available in the US diesel prices increased and the economy started going in the crapper along with the auto manufacturers.
At this point they're struggling to survive let alone introduce new options.
Bingo!

ULSD in Europe is 6ppm, versus ours being 15ppm. They are really big into low emissions over there, to the point that they'll charge you for high penalties for what we would consider passing emissions.

I work with Brits here in Iraq, and they have told me CARB's crazy standards couldn't hold a candle to their emissions standards. They measure everything; particles, CO/CO2, NOX, and anything and everything that comes from the tailpipe .... even on the gas engines.

Kris

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rember That 5 Liter Cummins V8 Diesel For The Dodge Ram?