General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Blackwater engines <----- BEWARE

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 02:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blackwater engines <----- BEWARE

My 1998 12v took a **** on me at 175,000 dowel pin broke. So i ordered a new long block from Remanufactured Automotive, Industrial, Marine and Agricultural Diesel Long BlockEngines - Blackwater Engines added ARP headstuds, reman injection pump, new injectors, new turbo, new oil coolers.. I was in over 12 grand. No expense spared. Long story short, I ran the truck to minneapolis and back with no trailer on. 740 miles literally every main bearing in the block was grenaded. The bearings in the turbo were even shot. Obviously something failed in the oil system. So, a few weeks later they warranty the motor, but only AFTER i would send them their first block. I still had to pay labor of course. Just under 2500.
A local reputable shop having done all previous work, installed their 2nd motor. Once again, ran the truck around the ranch didnt pull a single thing with it. 3500 miles on it and the head gasket goes out. I was talking on the phone as it went out, (oil got into the coolant and turned it into goop) so i didnt notice the temp gauge until the alarm dinged at me and by this time i had scored 2 pistons. Now I've demanded my money back, but im still out the labor on 2 installations. Havent decided yet if im going to take them to court or not. DO NOT BUY THEIR JUNK. 2 Reputable shops near me have looked this motor over and they did not have the correct head gasket. I'm out over 5000 because of their JUNK and I've went without an important piece of machinery on my farm.
Old 11-16-2015, 07:14 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
If I were to pay someone to rebuild my engine, I think I'd send it here.

I know someone that worked there. They do it right, and in good time.

Couldn't help but notice that lack of attention to detail is getting pretty expensive for you.
Old 11-18-2015, 06:45 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Just curious what kind of damage the dowel pin did to order a whole new long block?

Maybe try a used motor this time?

Either way sounds like they have some issues...
Old 12-11-2015, 12:35 PM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
gorms, if the dowel pin falls out, three things can happen:

1- the pin drops out of its hole and goes down past the camshaft and crankshaft gears, and lands in the oil pan and does nothing else.

2- The pin drops and gets jammed between the cam gear and timing case. This normally results in a busted timing case and an oil leak. New timing case, gaskets, and dowel pin is required to repair this damage.

3- The pin drops and gets caught in between gears, usually breaking the camshaft gear and/or wedging it out of place. This will usually put a hole in the block up front near the front camshaft area. When that happens, the camshaft stops rotating, but not the crankshaft (yet). Now you have some pistons smashing into their valves, which also adds to the chaos. Also very likely is debris from all of this now in the engile oil which could get to the bearings and ruin those. The end result is a wrecked engine. Some parts could be salvaged, but the block is now scrap iron due to the damage. I think this is what may have happened to Cowboy4x4's original engine.