General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Is old fuel salvageable?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 12:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is old fuel salvageable?

Due to a sheer lack of monetary resources, we have a 96 Dodge 3500 CTD that has been sitting for about 18 months , with the best part of a tank of diesel in it. I have been starting it monthly, to keep things oiled up - tranny is seriously ill but I can move it a bit and exercise things. Today, however, no amount of coaxing or cranking, priming or ether would start it. I guess the fuel is kaput!

Is there anything I can add to the old fuel that will make it burnable? or do I have to uncap the tank siphon it out and lose 25 gallons (at five bucks a gallon that hurts). Looking for some miracle additive!
Old 06-19-2014, 01:23 AM
Cummins Guru

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
this may work but I have never tried it.
http://www.ehow.com/how_7869496_reco...esel-fuel.html
Old 06-19-2014, 07:52 AM

I had 5 gallons sitting in a can for 3 years in the weather. I put in some fuel treatment...put it in my 12V (when I had it) and it ran fine.
Old 06-19-2014, 08:55 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
I don't think you have any problems with the fuel, unless it has developed an Algae issue...... Pull the fuel filter and see if you have slimy black gook in it.

Also, are you sure the fuel shutoff lever is coming up when the key is turned? Sometimes from setting they get stiff.
Old 06-19-2014, 11:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by patdaly
I don't think you have any problems with the fuel, unless it has developed an Algae issue...... Pull the fuel filter and see if you have slimy black gook in it.

Also, are you sure the fuel shutoff lever is coming up when the key is turned? Sometimes from setting they get stiff.
X2 , I used 18month old fuel in a boat once , ran perfect, no problems.
Old 06-19-2014, 12:53 PM

Thanks PatDaly, I have not yet pulled filter on the 96....the other mechanical things are OK. Since I have a transmission line to pull and replace on the other 97 3500 CTD FIRST, the 96 is back burnered for a few days anyhow. I am getting too old to enjoy crawling under dadburn trucks...

Originally Posted by patdaly

Old 06-19-2014, 02:09 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Diesel doesn't break down the way that gasoline does. Diesel years old will still combust.

The biggest enemies are algae (as mentioned above) and water condensation.
Old 06-19-2014, 03:59 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Like he says ^^^

Diesel ages fairly gracefully as long as there isn't any water near it. Then it'll grow some algae and plug filters up. The algae grows in the water, and eats some diesel.

Even then, a fresh fuel filter will get it going for awhile, even with the contaminated fuel. Change the filter, and check the old one out. If it's clean, then you probably have an FSS problem, either lack of power (corroded connection) or stuck.

Or some scofflaw snuck under the hood when you weren't looking and zip tied the emergency shutoff lever back.
Old 06-19-2014, 04:49 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
If you lived nearby,my friend has a mobile diesel filtration business. He polishes primarily boat fuel but goes everywhere. Occasionally a boat owner wants the diesel removed and replaced and that's where we score. He'll call and say "how'd you like a free tank of super clean diesel?" Algae is indeed the worst enemy.
Old 06-19-2014, 06:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had an old 6.5 Chevy last year that when I bought it had been sitting for 2 years I was told. Once I replaced the PMD it fired right up and ran fine.
Not saying it's healthy to let fuel sit for years but it's not the cause of your truck not firing. It's just not getting fuel.
Old 06-29-2014, 05:40 PM

no joy

New fuel filter in (prefilled with new clean diesel etc), worked the prime pump button to the end of my strength (darn that thing is in a nasty place to access and it HURTS arthritic fingers) and still no joy. Tried cracking a line on first injector, then pumping primer again, no difference. Shooting spray ether into air filter intake hose will kick it for a second or so, but it won't keep running. Thus, no fuel...

Is there another connection I should be cracking to prime this beast? I see a banjo bolt on side of injector pump and the line that comes to it is right off the filter base. Someplace in my memory fog I am having qualms about loosening that one, as there's something inside I have to be careful of?

Need advice of someone more experienced with these trucks, as I NEED to get this one starting reliably so it can limp into town to get the whole dang transmission rebuilt....
Old 06-30-2014, 08:59 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
First thing, don't use your finger, use a garden hoe handle, or bigger broom handle, makes it WAY easier to use the prime button.

Did you ever get it to make the hissing sound while pushing the primer? If not, it isn't gonna start.

You might have to get an old gas cap that fits, drill and tap it for a hose fitting, and use about 4 PSI to pressurize the tank to help prime it.