General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Noise complaints?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2002, 10:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Noise complaints?

I was out with the truck the other day and after pulling into a parking lot where several people were standing, I let it idle 'till the temp came down as usual. After shutting it down and getting out, I heard one guy say, &quot;I was about to go ask him to shut that noisy thing off.&quot; He was sitting on a Harley with straight pipes.<br><br>Let's get out the DB meter and test which is louder.<br>
Old 10-22-2002, 10:44 PM
Banned

Re:Noise complaints?

Personally, I would prefer to hear a straight piped Harley over a Cummins.
Old 10-22-2002, 11:24 PM
Muted User

I love pulling into a parking spot by a payphone...when someone is on it. Of course I'm going to have to let it cool down... they look at me about 9 times in the process because I know they can't hear dick. If someone complains to me about engine noise I'll find a way to make it louder. I guess I just woke up this morning and decided to be an [edited by admin]
Old 10-22-2002, 11:29 PM

IMHO, I would prefer to hear that wonderful, mighty Cummins ISB 24-Valve (Stock or Straight piped), over a little straight piped Harley any day! ;D <br><br>I only wish my 1st Gen would sound as nice as a 24-valve ISB :'(. Oh, well.<br><br>I like Harley's too, but a staight piped Harley can be outright obnoxious with the noise level!<br><br>Just my $0.02 cents.<br><br>Respectfully,<br><br>Nicholas R. Gajewski
Old 10-23-2002, 01:23 AM

I get to hear them both. <br>Truck on some days, Harley on the nice days. Both straight-piped. <br><br>I'm noticing a lot of &quot;For Sale&quot; signs in the neighborhood. Two on my street alone. ;D
Old 10-23-2002, 05:18 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well hears a good one for you. I use to have a 1998 dodge 5.2 , I start early in the morning and my wife complanes I wake here up with it, but with the diesel she can't even here it GO FIGER.
Old 10-23-2002, 10:24 AM
Banned

I love the sound of them both. But the one sound that will always be better than a Cummins or Harley, is a high compression, 454 big block with a set of long tubes. That is a sweet sound. What makes it even better is when it has been cammed, and is in a 71 Chevelle. ;D Droooooooooll.
Old 10-23-2002, 10:46 AM

my 93 cdt is a lot louder than my 94 ctd. I was upset over that one. I want my 94 to rattle the windows when I drive up the road.
Old 10-23-2002, 02:18 PM

I've noticed that the HO has a different sound that the non-HO. Must be the compression difference or maybe the injectors.<br><br>I recently met a new lady and we have seen each other for about two months now. We were riding in the CTD the other day and she said, &quot;God, I love the sound of that diesel!&quot; I think I'm in love :P
Old 10-23-2002, 02:34 PM

New to diesels, love the sound of mine and others going down the road. Probably only thing better, the sound of a two bladed helicopter flying overhead. After 30 yrs I still always stop and look up!!! <br>Smokin J
Old 10-23-2002, 02:59 PM

No complaints about the sound of my CTD 24v. The main reason I didn't go for the '03 is that it is quieter. I wanted the 4 doors to. Didn't care for the look but the four independent doors would have been nice. <br><br>I've had people ask me why I have a truck like that but never any comments on the noise. OH except in the drive thru. I usually shut it down before they get around to asking but on a few occasions I get &quot; Can you please turn your vehicle off?&quot; I'm tempted to say NO. Now that would be a sight!<br><br><br><br><br><br><br>
Old 10-23-2002, 04:54 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I recently met a new lady and we have seen each other for about two months now. We were riding in the CTD the other day and she said, &quot;God, I love the sound of that diesel!&quot; I think I'm in love

Sounds like a keeper!
But, you better keep a close eye on her... I hear Cattle Hauler is looking for girl like that!

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...;threadid=6028

Just kidding CH... :-X

Rich
Old 10-23-2002, 08:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heck thats one of the main reasons I bought the truck was for the noise. The other was for the power ;D
Old 10-23-2002, 09:19 PM

I get a grin every morning when I unplug it and start it up. I have loved the sound of a cummins ever since I was a little kid. Which wasn't that long ago, I am only 19.

Quick Reply: Noise complaints?