General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

New SRW 3500, pros, cons, must haves?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2018, 02:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New SRW 3500, pros, cons, must haves?

I'm the original owner of my 2001 2500 4x4. Looking at new 5th wheels and the old girl just can't legally take the pin weight. I've been thinking about getting a new SRW 3500 4x4. The increased CCC is what I'm looking for. What are the pros and cons to the new trucks. So far, besides the usually bells and whistles, the must-haves seem like cargo camera, auto leveling and of course the Aisin transmission. Is the premium worth it for the increased hp/tq in the Long Horn and the Limited? I'm in CA so I won't be messin with it too much. Looking to pull 16,000 lb 5th wheel.

Any input from those that are more informed?
Old 03-31-2018, 09:43 AM
FMB

Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Dennis
What are the pros and cons to the new trucks. So far, besides the usually bells and whistles, the must-haves seem like cargo camera, auto leveling and of course the Aisin transmission. Is the premium worth it for the increased hp/tq in the Long Horn and the Limited? I'm in CA . . .
Good morning, Dennis. I went from an '03 Laramie to a '15 Laramie Limited and would never consider going back. The '15 has all the power I need. My 5th loaded is maybe around 9k and there isn't a grade between here and the Kenai Peninsula that it couldn't hold speed limit or better. Passed many other rigs going uphill.

One item of interest is the height of the bed if you are intending to get a 4X4. It seems quite a bit higher than my '03. The concern here was backing downhill or foreward downhill at slow speeds, and just going over the crest, where the tailgate is closest to the underbelly of the 5th's overhang. It does get close. I'm betting I can't easily go to some of the places I've been in the past with the '03, but those places are way out of the way anyway.

I have the cargo cam and although it is nice, I rarely use it and never "had to use it". The cargo cam comes up on your touch screen radio display after touching a couple on-screen buttons. It goes off after a min or so. The rear view camera, the one that comes on while backing, comes on automatically when in reverse and displays in the rear view mirror. I like it. You could use both cameras at the same time, although using the bed cam to hitch up your 5th isn't all that great as the cam is pretty high. I prefer to stretch my neck.

When pulling the 5th, there is a button to disable the Park Sense. That is the sensors in the rear bumper that tells you when you are getting close to something when backing up. (beep . . . beep . . . beep . . beep . beep . beep.BEEEEEEEEEEP)

I do have the Aisin Tranny. Nothing to compare it with as my '03 was a 6sp manual. I think auto transmissions have come a long way since the early years and Aisin's have a good rep.

There is a switch for Tow Mode (for tranny) and another one for Alt Trailer Height. This one drops the rear end about an inch if there is enough weight sensed in the bed and provides load leveling while driving.

Cons? I would have appreciated a telescoping steering wheel and although you can remotely move the side view mirrors, I would also like to remotely move the convex side view mirrors independently of the larger mirror.

Is the premium worth it? To me it is. I can afford it, it hauls what I want and looks great while doing it. Only you can decide if it is worth it to you. Dave Smith had a really big sale last week on their already deeply discounted RAMs. Worth a look on their site.

If you are interested, PM me and I'll give you more about Dave Smith.
Back to morning brew . . .
Old 04-01-2018, 04:00 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I have wondered with all the options we can get why there isn’t an option on the mirrors for the convex to be powered.

Personally I cannot go up past the Laramie as its the highest optioned without a center full console.

I had the center full length center console on a 12’. Killed my rt knee. I tried padding it and sitting different to no avail.

Old 04-04-2018, 12:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I went and looked at them yesterday. I found a nice longhorn and limited in my color with the payload I want. The one thing that bothered me was the steering wheel. It seemed so far away while in my comfortable driving position. Are there no telescoping steering wheels? It seems like I get fatigued rather quickly if I didn't move the seat forward. Is this a real issue for others? Perhaps just one of the perceived things that turns into nothing? I'm still trying to deal with sticker shock and the reality of today's truck prices. I didn't notice an issue with the center console and my leg. I can see where after an hour or two of driving, finding that comfortable position would be important.