General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Adding a Turbo - Chevy 6.5

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2002, 10:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adding a Turbo - Chevy 6.5

Couldnt afford the cummins I wanted but got a good deal on a 83 1 ton with a 6.5 conversion. Only thing is its not turbo and i want one.Does anyone know the best option for adding one? Banks kit of course but is there a more powerful/durable option? Any other mod ideas would be appreciated this is my first diesel and I am just learning. Thanx
Old 10-17-2002, 12:26 PM

Re:Adding a Turbo - Chevy 6.5

Well I have to say that I wouldn't do it. Friend got a used chevy dullay with the 6.5 in it. Had a broken rod so we rebuilt the whole thing back to stock specs. Well then he tried to pull with it, that thing is just a big turd, a good 350 will pull just as good. So then he went and spent all the big bucks on a complete Banks kit for it, well after a short pull of about 50 miles in now has a leaking head gasket. So it got parked untill it gets new head gaskets this winter.<br><br>Even if it does get running right it will never compare the power of a Cummins. Also the exaust temps were too high and he has to back the pump down some from what the instructions said to turn it up to. They are also known for weak cranks I guess.
Old 10-17-2002, 01:34 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Its a toss up.<br><br>I used to have a 6.2L Diesel that had 405,000 mile on it. 250,000 of those mile, I put on.<br>It was non turbo'd and ran great. Good strong engine.<br><br>I aslo have a great friend down in So. Cal that is employed as a GM Diesel mechanic. <br>He has had mixed results with the GM Diesel Power.<br>He does a lot of Fleet trucks. <br>As an example, he may have three identicle GMC utility P/U's with the 6.5 Turbo Diesel... Two of them run great... one keeps throughing a rod, or blowing a head gasket or....<br><br>I will admit, the GM 6.2L and the GM 6.5L Diesels do not enjoy the same reputation for durability as the Cummins (or even the PowerStroke).<br><br>But, from experience... There are some good 6.2's and 6.5's out there.<br><br>You did not mention how many miles are on the engine. Puting turbo on high milage will stress the engine...<br><br>Just things to consider<br><br><br>Rich
Old 10-17-2002, 02:00 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just to expand on this a little.<br><br>If the engine is high milage, and then you through a turbo on it, you run the risk of blowing out head gaskets and/or rods due to the increase in combustion and compresion.<br><br><br>If you have a high mileage 6.5L and you want to put a turbo on it, you may want to consider having it rebuilt first.<br><br><br>Just an opinion. <br><br>Good luck with it either way.<br><br>Rich
Old 10-17-2002, 10:47 PM
Muted User

A 6.5 is better off sold to someone else for problems... <br><br>and putting a turbo on it ain't all that wise. The 6.5 was a very high compression ratio diesel engine. Wouldn't take much boost to blow a head gasket or rod....or something that's supposed to stay in one piece. I'm biased to Chev's so just read the second part. :
Old 10-18-2002, 08:08 AM

I f you could drop the compression ratio You might be able to get some life out of it. That is what for did on the 7.3 natural compaired to the turbo diesel which is before the power turd of today